Def

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to get a new '15 Megacab diesel. Is the DEF a big deal in the new trucks? I have no equipment that uses it and am a bit leery to own one. I have no interest in modifying the truck with deletes etc. My '12 (stock except level kit and air bags) has been pretty much flawless for 156k.

Are any manufacturers dropping this BS any time soon? I dont see how burning more fuel in addition to DEF and related packaging etc is environmentally friendly at all. If the 2016s dropped it I would be choked if I go drop 80g on a new one ton with DEF and next year they drop it... Wishful thinking...?

Holio

Last edited:

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had DEF on my 13 Megacab SRW. No issues at all. I just ran it till the level was near E, then put two 2.5 gallon jugs in. Rough usage is 2%, or 50 gallons of fuel to 1 gallon of DEF. Also the DEF gauge is not linear, so it will stay on full forever, then drop quickly. The 15 Megacab DRW only has 2000 km on it so far, but I don't expect anything different from it. Basically it isn't a big deal, just top it off every so often. 2016s will still have it as well.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
DEF is not going anywhere anytime soon. The big trucks have had it for YEARS. Well before light duty trucks. I have an '11 GMC with DEF and have really had no issues. Mind you, I only have 70K on it.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fill def tank and drive no biggie, just like adding washer fluid...... BTW DEF consumption is directly related to fuel consumption so you will use more as you burn more fuel

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fill def tank and drive no biggie, just like adding washer fluid...... BTW DEF consumption is directly related to fuel consumption so you will use more as you burn more fuel
No its not related to fuel consumption

If u tow and burn more fuel under lots of load then yes,

But if u puts around all day and idle it all the time, will burn next to no def, but burn lots of fuel

If ur in the midrange of acceleration and rpm will use the most def.... So like i said more towing, more def used

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal. Seems easier to fill my '14 Ram using a transmission funnel, and ****can the screw on plastic hose in the box. Pickup actually gets pretty good mileage.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 Duramax runs 11-12000 Kms to a DEF fill up .
Trucks with DEF are easier on fuel then the earlier version with more DPF's
131000 trouble free and then DEF pump went.
Close enough to warranty end I deleted but liked the no smell with DEF.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
46,000km on my 13 Ram Diesel with DEF, I have no complaints about it. when it shows about 1/4 left on the gauge I throw in a 2.5 gallon container, and continue driving.

It is my first diesel though so I have nothing to compare it to. It's definitely a way better vehicle than the old 91 Chevy K2500 was

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear of any def tank heaters failing?? I've heard of def tanks cracking but was wondering if that was due to the fluid freezing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about thing cracking in winter, and it happens a lot, then only fill the tank 3/4 or even 1/2 full. Gives the def room to expand, and it expends a lot when frozen.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear of any def tank heaters failing?? I've heard of def tanks cracking but was wondering if that was due to the fluid freezing??

Yes heaters fail, never had a tank crack tho

Funny thing is I've had 4 or 5 tank heater trucks, stuck in salmon arm with speed restrictions, this summer

Even tho it doesn't need the heater right now, it needs to see its working or it will limp mode itself

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

when I got mine from the dealer the heater and pump was pooched in my truck, I blame it on it being a BC truck, but yes they can fail, just like any other mechanical or electrical piece of equipment. My online research told me the same as Realwildone said, only fill 1/2 - 3/4 full to prevent tank from splitting.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2011 f-350 with 174,000km. Last week the def pump was working 60% capacity and thru a code. Extended warranty covered the new pump. Other than than never an issue.
I've seen 3/4 of a jug of windshield antifreeze go into the def tank and have no hick-ups.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoy being able stand near the tail pipe while it's running.

My LML would use 5 gal of def in 12000km in the summer and 16000km in the winter. I always let it run out and then filled it completely up. Never heard of tanks cracking and I never had that problem.
At 194000km a tank heater went so I deleted. In hind-site I should have bought a new tank off Kijiji and kept it clean.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The heater and pump sh!t the bed on my F-350 at 55,000km. Ford couldn't get the parts in for 2 weeks, so I did the deletes at that time more out of necessity than anything else. It's been flawless for 40,000km now. I don't drive the p!ss out of my stuff, but it sure made a truck out of it...I'll do the next one right off the showroom floor.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remeber that the emisions and def crap is usually what will fail later in the trucks life and the egr on these cummins is horrible. Deleting my 13 cummins next week.

Top Bottom