Decks on a Half Ton

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for insite into running a deck on a 09 GMC half ton, who has one and how does it handle, any issues with DOT etc. I have airbags already and was wondering if you have to get your gvw increased or what. Seems like I'd be okay with the weight just dont want any hassles by the man or unsafe loading issues.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for insite into running a deck on a 09 GMC half ton, who has one and how does it handle, any issues with DOT etc. I have airbags already and was wondering if you have to get your gvw increased or what. Seems like I'd be okay with the weight just dont want any hassles by the man or unsafe loading issues.

Just don't get stopped in BC. Theres a few threads on this already, most 3/4's are overweight with 2 sleds on a deck.

I called registries about changing my GVW and they didn't really make sense. I think it is more for the commercial vehicles. I think she said you can just pay $20 and tell them whatever number you want but it isn't valid out of province, and it's up to the cop writing the ticket anyways ? I just ended the call cause it was making me dumber.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend it. A lot of 3/4t trucks are close to the limit when putting a deck on . Just start doing the math of adding the weight of the deck plus machines, plus g-cans and people in the truck. It all adds up pretty quick

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
There has been lots of talk about this.First weigh the truck empty.Subtract that from the gross vehicle weight.Depending on crew ,ext.cab regular cab.It varies anywhere from6400#to 7300#.How much you have left over is the amount you can carry legally.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what ive heard airbags dont work well with decks because side to side they displace air. they work well with heavy trailers etc.

heres what i use

Vehicle Suspension Kits - Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

replaces the factory cushion.

ive installed these kits on about 10 1500 trucks with stf decks

they handle like a ferarri with 2 big quads on the deck after

hahahahahaah

but honestly it stops side to side sway and stops bounce in the rollers

ajay

Reaction score
from what ive heard airbags dont work well with decks because side to side they displace air. they work well with heavy trailers etc.

heres what i use

Vehicle Suspension Kits - Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

replaces the factory cushion.

ive installed these kits on about 10 1500 trucks with stf decks

they handle like a ferarri with 2 big quads on the deck after

hahahahahaah

but honestly it stops side to side sway and stops bounce in the rollers
The airbags will only displace each other if the air lines are tied in together, you should be running a seperate line to each bag with two seperate shrader valves, have them on a 2500HD, work great.

Ajay.

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up until this year we used a 1500 Dodge ram with our decks and airbags, and hauled a two place trailer at time. Never had any problem with hauling or with the law.

FLM Staff
Full Lotus Manufacturing -

Attachments

• Picture 1225.jpg
    Picture 1225.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 1222.jpg
    Picture 1222.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 59

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If I had a 1/2 I'd get a one place deck for it. Nice to ha ve a place to keep your gear underneath fairly dry and locked up.

Didn't know toy could get a single deck :confused:....I do have airbags with seperate lines for each side I know it doesn't make it legal it should help out

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your looking for a single loader, you can check our units out in the sponsor page. We also have made single decks for smaller trucks, they work great!

Thanks

FLM Staff
Full Lotus Manufacturing -

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had air bags under 2000 dodge half ton and my 2005 dodge half ton never had issuses with a deck and two full size quads or the truck camper after the quads went to the trailer,I live in BC and was follwed one day by the DOT going down the highway for a couple miles before he truned around i was pulling a 25 foot travel trailer and had two quads on the deck I didnt drop much speed on the hills and the unit hauled fine so never got pulled over. If you look legal the odds of being stopped or slim IMO.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya , if you get stopped for speeding or such , depending on the officer they may give you a hard time , but lay low and your good to go:d

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Isnt there a reason that the 3/4 and 1 tons have bigger brakes,heavier axels,heavier steering and frames?Sure the half tons have good power but the stopping can't be as good

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could put a sled deck on a volkswagon if you wanted to, SAFE hm.
I'd suggest you check with your insurance before purchasing the deck, as you may be in a heap of trouble when you are in an accident. yes you are overloaded there boy. Sure is a sad day when you kill a family when your brakes fail or you lose control as your truck sways. Real nice feeling killing people because of your stupidity. or you may have the privilege of supporting said surviving family members for the rest of your life. you may find you have no insurance

GET THE PROPER EQUIPMENT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the brakes and stopping power as an argument as you can load a trailer behind your half ton with way more weight, legally, that will increase your stopping distance much more then a deck on the back of your truck. Yes of course it is better to have a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton, no question. However if you have a half ton and use airbags and are intelligent about using it you won't have any problems. You can crash a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton just as easy as you can 1/2 ton.

Take for instance you have a lifted 3/4 ton or 1 ton and have two sleds perched way up high, the 1/2 ton is more stable then the lifted 1 ton. I know this because we had a 1/2 ton dodge we used with our deck and we had an
f350 with an 8" lift and the 1/2 ton with airbags was much more stable then the lifted 1 ton. So there are always variables in towing. However with everything else a little common sense goes a long way.

FLM Staff

Jake

Reaction score
If you are over the GVWR in door you're illegal. If you are over a GAWR you are illegal.

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Law Enforcement of any kind pick on certain things at any given time of the year. We've had issues in the past with CVSE (BC DOT) ticketing over weight sledders but haven't heard of anything for some time now. I did run my '04 for 2 winters without issues and was over weight by 500lbs. And yes it had airbags.

Attachments

• 03.07.06 015.jpg
    03.07.06 015.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 58

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If you are going to get a ticket for over weight.....give them your log book, check for proper load securement, make sure your CVIP is up to date, are you prorated or have a trip or term permit, the list goes on and on. It is plain harassment if you are not a COMMERCIAL vehicle.

Top Bottom