deck question

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just told by a friend its illegal to have a f150 with a sled deck in BC?
true?
what can i do to haul 2 sleds with a f150 with a sled deck there?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just told by a friend its illegal to have a f150 with a sled deck in BC?
true?
what can i do to haul 2 sleds with a f150 with a sled deck there?

Look at your GVWR, I know I'll be close to max with my Duramax, 9200# rating. My truck is 7500#, + passenger(200#) + deck(400#) + 2 sleds (1200#) oops I'm at 9300# and We don't have any gear along yet.

You can get a trailer...... I've heard stories of guys getting sent back home, or having to unload some stuff....

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have to go threw the scales or something??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as mb1 says there is no way a f150 can legally haul a deck, 2 sleds, a buddy and gear. You may get close if you swiss cheese your truck with a hole saw.
Maybe not should be fun though.
Weigh your truck at a weigh scale, full of fuel and a buddy. subtract that weight from the gvwr on the door frame. what is left over, is the legal weight you can carry, probably 700 to 800 lbs.
You could go to dot and have your truck recertified, heavier tires, larger brakes, axles, springs etc. did I say bring lots of $$$$$$.
Buy a trailer that you can pull legally, and avoid the tickets, insurance costs and legal liabilities.

It totally amazes me that this same question pops up and Big Bubba will come on and state his ranger, canyon, dakota will haul a 500 gal full water tank in the bed and no dot is going to give him trouble.

Weigh your truck and be sure.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they'll pull you over right by the scales and make you weigh in. We always seem to be going through there in the middle of the night and have never been stopped. Not sure if it makes any difference though.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your GVW is on a F150, but our 08 GMC 1500 with Aluminum deck, 2 sleds, full of fuel, buddy and gear puts me at 7200lb on the scales. Only 200 lb over GVW. With Timbren rubber springs she sits totally level.

Jake

Reaction score
I have a 2000 F150 7700, Good for 2100lbs on the back axle. Have not had a problem in BC with a deck and two sleds on. Individual trucks must be weighed, they are all different. Generally 1/2 tons are only good for about 700 lbs in the box. My brother inlaw's GMC was only good for 500 lbs in the box when he scaled it.

M7Plus

Reaction score
I have a two place trailer thatworks well and pulls nice with a salt shield that i am willing to sell or trade for a sled deck for a long box, as I have upgraded from the half ton to a one ton long box just for this problem.

GRD

Reaction score
Not only should you be worried about weight, but you should also be worried about brakes and the capabilities of a half ton. Best thing for a half ton is a trailer.

Even Most 3/4 tons are close to the limit with 2 sleds and gear.

There are a few forms/threads kicking around in regards to this topic.:)

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not only is a a problem in BC but, in Sask. as well. Last year I seen our highway transport patrol at a few rally`s driving around looking for over weight trucks and was told they were also looking for loads not tied down correct.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a 05 dodge 1500 quad cab, with a single sled in the back and 2 on a trailer i would not be doing any more weight. on crappy roads it was not fun at times. but also it was a apex in the back so i guess you could do to doo's lol

Jake

Reaction score
Scaled the F150 7700 last night after I put the deck on and filled the fuel tank. I have 1792 lbs left for buddy, sleds and gear.

Top Bottom