Deck over trailer

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a 20' deck over trailer for my construction company for my seacan and forklift accessories (truss jib/man basket) and wondering what the best names are out there. Looked at sws in westlock and pj in barrhead and leduc and rainbow in innisfail and pretty close in price, within few hundred dollars just thought id see if anyone has some feedback.

Lots of oilfield guys on here wondering if you've guys or anyone else has put any of these trailers through the paces...and how there holding up some jobsites I have to get to are pretty rough. Also if anyone has had good customer service after the fact, service or maintenance or otherwise. If so, where did you purchase and what you guys pay if you don't mind me asking...

Thank guy

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had two pj trailers, one from custom trailer on 66st and they have been good. My current pj is up for sale and I am going to get an enclosed from sws and see what they are like. The older sws trailers were garbage but I think the new ones are made by someone else now.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had two pj trailers, one from custom trailer on 66st and they have been good. My current pj is up for sale and I am going to get an enclosed from sws and see what they are like. The older sws trailers were garbage but I think the new ones are made by someone else now.

I've heard a mixed bag about sws but I looked pretty extensively at them and they look pretty solid now. How long is your trailer, how old and how much? And is it the 6" or the 8" ibeam?

han solo

Reaction score
What about Double A trailers? There made in Two Hills, AB. Yes there cost more $, so far my 2006 20ft car hauler with a pair 7000lbs axles is standing up great. From the bit of looking I did, double A seem the best built. I like to support were I live most of the time, if possilbe.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about Double A trailers? There made in Two Hills, AB. Yes there cost more $, so far my 2006 20ft car hauler with a pair 7000lbs axles is standing up great. From the bit of looking I did, double A seem the best built. I like to support were I live most of the time, if possilbe.

I agree whenever possible like to shop locale and when I can't at least Alberta or even Canadian made, I'll check them out heard of them but have never seen one

sleded1

Reaction score
I have used pj trailers for the past few years, both deck over and gooseneck, 5 in total, I like them because of the wiring, which to me is the the heart of a trailer, every trailer has the same structure, and paint, so if I have no wiring issues, it's good in my books

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used pj trailers for the past few years, both deck over and gooseneck, 5 in total, I like them because of the wiring, which to me is the the heart of a trailer, every trailer has the same structure, and paint, so if I have no wiring issues, it's good in my books

That's one of the features I liked on the pj trailer was the cold weather wiring...but was wondering if was really that different good to know thks for the reply

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I've pulled 3 different PJ's on a regular basis for the last 5 years with my old job. Two of them were straight 20' deck overs, 8" I-beam with 7000lb axles. The third was with the 3' dove tail and fold up ramps. Overall construction of these trailers was great. The slide in ramps on the straight trailers need more attention though, at least on the older trailer. The storage rack was kinda cheesy and on rough roads the ramps would bounce out of the tracks getting jammed up. One time severing the wiring harness at the back for the tail lights. I think they have done upgrades to that on newer models though. Wiring in general is pretty good on them.

spoulter

Reaction score
Check out Royal Cargo Trailers by Southlands Trailer Corp. I've had a Royal XR Sled for 3 years and no problems. Alittle heavier than most but build very well.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've pulled 3 different PJ's on a regular basis for the last 5 years with my old job. Two of them were straight 20' deck overs, 8" I-beam with 7000lb axles. The third was with the 3' dove tail and fold up ramps. Overall construction of these trailers was great. The slide in ramps on the straight trailers need more attention though, at least on the older trailer. The storage rack was kinda cheesy and on rough roads the ramps would bounce out of the tracks getting jammed up. One time severing the wiring harness at the back for the tail lights. I think they have done upgrades to that on newer models though. Wiring in general is pretty good on them.

I see your from barrhead...did you purchase them at barrhead trailer and if yes, how's their service once they've got your money and your off the lot...the ramp cutting the wires did they cover that or did you just fix it?

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a PJ dump Trailer for about 6 years .....and I love it !!! Very good build quality and have had zero troubles !!! Wiring has given me no problems, and has helded up pretty good.....just needs a new paint job now !! This trailer is the best trailer I have ever owned !!!
I just bought a 20 ft PJ equipment hauler...and really like it so far (about a month old) !!!!
If you need enclosed trailers ....... Paradis Motorsports (Ron- Firefly here on this site) is your answer !!! Very nice trailers that tow like a dream !
If you need steel trailers ....... I've bought mine at "Western Iron" in Lacombe ....James is the man....he is just a one man show and tries to be fair with price on a quality product ! Give him a call or check his website ...he has pricing on most stuff !!

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great trailers i have a 16ft highboy and really like it very well made trailers

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I see your from barrhead...did you purchase them at barrhead trailer and if yes, how's their service once they've got your money and your off the lot...the ramp cutting the wires did they cover that or did you just fix it?

I just pulled them. Not sure where my old boss bought them exactly, thinking it was in Nisku. At that time SCH was just getting set up and didn't have any real stock in Pj's. We ended up fixing it ourselves over a few beers. Had to weld up the skirt cause the weight of the ramps actually cracked it from being bounced down rough roads, and at same time added some extra bars to keep ramps in place. All the trailers got used on a regular basis and usually loaded to the nuts. All in all they stand up really well.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Crow, did you ever buy that deck over trailer? I am shopping for one right now and i'm curious what you bought and how its working for you.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i pull lots of trailers my big tex gooseneck is 5 years old paint was ch!t from day 1 and the wiring is so so Just got rid of it and bought a new PJ tandem tandem gooseneck paint is powdercoated so it might hold up better LED lights from factory thats a plus and they use an cold weather cord so u can plug it in too your truck at -30 with snapping it in half haha trailer is good so far but its only a week old Give GRASSLAND TRAILER SALES A CALL DON will help you out

Top Bottom