Deck in rafters

welchm1965

Reaction score
I was thinking of rigging a lift of some sort in my garage rafters to raise and lower a sled deck into my truck. Has anyone ever done this or heard of an easy way to do it?
Thanks in advance.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was thinking of rigging a lift of some sort in my garage rafters to raise and lower a sled deck into my truck. Has anyone ever done this or heard of an easy way to do it?
Thanks in advance.

I didn't put a deck up there but I had a cedar strip canoe up there. Just an idea, but I used cheap Princess Auto boat winches and it worked like a charm. Needed a little creativity in mounting the winches but it was nice. Just make sure that the hooks in the trusses are strong enough. Good luck......:beer:

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was thinking of doing something the same sort of thing with a a frame outside. but ended up buying a sea can. now i just us the mini hoe to lift the deck out and set it on top. good luck with whatever you come up with . annything is better than scratching and dinting the top of your truck trying to put decks in and out!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure that you back into the garage not drive into the garage.:d

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
princess auto sells those electric winches good for 500lbs
little track up top buy two of them couple of lifts and i would think you would be good to go

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend did this storage method for several years, it worked good for him. He just used ratchet straps somehow. We had to take it down without him. Not knowing his technique it was tricky. I would suggest a three point lift system as it is easier to keep even tension.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

Had a buddy's dad do this for his tonneau cover for his truck. I know that the deck is heavier, but all he did was a three point lift, using three pulley's from PA, and some rope, hook the rope up, pull on it till it was against the rafters, and tie the rope off. I think a couple of winches, pulling on cables with the use of some pulleys could be pretty easy to fab up

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Had a buddy's dad do this for his tonneau cover for his truck. I know that the deck is heavier, but all he did was a three point lift, using three pulley's from PA, and some rope, hook the rope up, pull on it till it was against the rafters, and tie the rope off. I think a couple of winches, pulling on cables with the use of some pulleys could be pretty easy to fab up

Uhhm, no, the canopy is heavier...I lift both in my garage, and my canopy is way heavier.

Oops, sorry, now I see tonneau, thought you said canopy, sorry...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I havent gotten past the 'concept' stage yet, just testing...(for 2 years lol)

I am just using some tie down ratchet straps, but bought the parts to complete it just cant find the time. Bought a 120v electric winch from Peavy Mart, wired a plug up on the rafters for the winch and have build a 4 point harness that will go to the 4 corners of either the deck or the canopy. Hit the button and up she goes. I still secure it with the straps, just in case. Ran 4x4s over the rafters to spread the load out...

Couple bad pics...

Attachments

• DSCN2272.jpg
    DSCN2272.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN2273.jpg
    DSCN2273.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 309

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I am just using some tie down ratchet straps, but bought the parts to complete it just cant find the time. Bought a 120v electric winch from Peavy Mart, wired a plug up on the rafters for the winch and have build a 4 point harness that will go to the 4 corners of either the deck or the canopy. Hit the button and up she goes. I still secure it with the straps, just in case. Ran 4x4s over the rafters to spread the load out...

Couple bad pics...

Looks like it works! Instead of running the straps under the deck, I used two 2x4's across the bottom with a couple of big eye hooks in each end of the board. (I actually drilled and bolted the eye hook to the board.) I then attached my pulling hooks to the eye hooks. Seemed to keep everything a lot more stable.

I'm thinking that by the time you're finished you will have lots of ideas.....

welchm1965

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all your responses. I hope to put some pictures up once (if) it gets completed. I have to say that I will be coming back here if I have any issues. WOW!

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Couple bad pics...

That almost looks redneck.

funrider

Reaction score
What ever you do make sure you spread the lifting load out over several trusses I wouldn't trust just one or two of the trusses, they were not designed to support the load that way

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
princess auto sells those electric winches good for 500lbs
little track up top buy two of them couple of lifts and i would think you would be good to go

This works well! A buddy has used this set-up as well. he actually went with the cheaper 12 volt winch and just ran longer leads with Aligator clips. no need for wiring or extension cords.:)

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
My dad has a post and beam shed with an open front that he keeps his boat and deck in. He built a H beam that sticks 8' out the front of the shed. He then mounted a chain hoist on a trolley and made up chains the hook onto the 4 corners of the deck. It works great because he can take his deck on and off without having to pull the boat out:)

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do use your rafters do not hook on to a just 4 points ! Lay a 8 or 10 FT. 4by4 on top of truss on both sides if you can and hook on to it .This will distribute the load over more trusses.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Couple bad pics...

If you do use your rafters do not hook on to a just 4 points ! Lay a 8 or 10 FT. 4by4 on top of truss on both sides if you can and hook on to it .This will distribute the load over more trusses.

Thanks, but been pointed out a few times already...

Top Bottom