Decent torx tools?

mustard73

Reaction score
This might belong in a different section but I figured since Cats use so many torx fasteners, you guys might know...

Who makes decent torx bits? I'm sick of breaking mine all the time! I cheaped out and bought Power Fist at first. Broke a bunch of bits. Tried some Stanley stuff but it isn't much better. Broke a Craftsman bit last night...

mdwils

Reaction score
Westward seems to be holding up good for me. Cheaper than Snap-on, but not by much. I still have a cheap chinese T20 that when removing the helix screws, would corkscrew one way then when I'd tighten them it'd corkscrew the other! It was like plasticine and just wouldn't break.
FYI,
when Farm World burnt down in Kinistino a couple years ago, the good tools like Mac, Snap, Craftsman etc. would bend by hand after going through the fire. The cheap crap got harder then hell and could almost be reused. Just a tidbit I found interesting about the temper in cheap tools.

BTW, try a tamper torx bit for the smaller sizes like T20T. I find they can take a little bit more torque.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use allen's on all the cat torx screws. Haven't stripped one yet... :D

sleliuk1

Reaction score
There is no decent torx tools because the torx design is the worst design ever invented! Whoever invented this design should have given their head a shake. The biggest piss off with my sled is having torx heads on some of the bolts. Absolutely hate them.

gopher-it!

Reaction score
snap on heavy duty removal torx socket best ive used yet, also broke every other one ive tried

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no decent torx tools because the torx design is the worst design ever invented! Whoever invented this design should have given their head a shake. The biggest piss off with my sled is having torx heads on some of the bolts. Absolutely hate them.

like he said i have both snap on and mac and they all break chitty design.

mustard73

Reaction score
I hate torx as much as the next guy but am forced to use them because I like to ride Cats.

Guess I'll keep my eyes open for some used Snap On bits...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate torx as much as the next guy but am forced to use them because I like to ride Cats.

Guess I'll keep my eyes open for some used Snap On bits...

the mastercrap from cambodian tire work just as well and are way cheaper. I have used when my " good " ones broke already. And have used them on the same fasteners that broke the so called good snap on ones.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the mastercrap from cambodian tire work just as well and are way cheaper. I have used when my " good " ones broke already. And have used them on the same fasteners that broke the so called good snap on ones.

agreed
and when they do break it's way easier to take them back

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
agreed
and when they do break it's way easier to take them back

Its easier to drive all the way to canadian tire....really... snap on will come to your shop and do it right for you in the parking lot.

It says it right on the side on the truck

"There is a difference"

just sayin

mustard73

Reaction score
I'm sure this is one of those times where you get what you pay for. I'm not a full time mechanic so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the snap on stuff for the garage but when it's midnight and you are getting your sled ready for a ride the next day and your tools break, it doesn't matter how good the warranty is or how easy the exchange will be. You still don't get the job done.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its easier to drive all the way to canadian tire....really... snap on will come to your shop and do it right for you in the parking lot.

It says it right on the side on the truck

"There is a difference"

just sayin

ya but you have to get the dipsticks to come see you. been waiting for 2 months for the stony guy to stop by. have 2 screwdrivers and 1 punch busted but when its just for warrenty they dont like coming often,

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ya but you have to get the dipsticks to come see you. been waiting for 2 months for the stony guy to stop by. have 2 screwdrivers and 1 punch busted but when its just for warrenty they dont like coming often,

call reg levac, 780-983-7626

scrapmaster

Reaction score
i use torxs bits at work everyday have had really good luck with the ultrapro stuff from napa warrantys great and can pick up a full set for about $30 when they come on sale

Top Bottom