Daytime running light ticket

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today i was driving to work in cranbrook around 8:20 am unaware that my park brake was slightly on causing my trucks daytime running lights to be off I passed a cop heading towards me on the opposite side of the road he passed me and instantly flipped around pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for not having my drl's on fair enough but the part that isn't fair is he never had his on either when I asked proceeded to ask why he didn't have any he told me police vehicles are exempt from having them because if they need to wait in alley they don't wanna be seen or if they wanna sit there with there vehicle running to do speed traps they can't have the lights wich brought me to my other complaint with his answer well as we know BC is Now Idle free unless you are a police officer waiting for a speeder to go by then you are exempt from this as well. I have also seen them go blowing through yellow and red lights and just briefly throw there lights on but yet others would get a ticket. I really feel the police force really need to look at there priorities and not be worrying about not having drl lights on when it is light out or worrying about the tinted windows they need to start focusing there attentions to bigger things otherwise a lot of people are gonna lose there respect for them.

Mayfly

Reaction score
I feel for ya, was nabbed in Dawson last night for talking on my cell phone.
Got off with a warning. Asked me why he stopped me, I said cause I have Alberta plates?, he was alittle pissed at that. I guess its law as of Feb 1, alot of people stopped in town that evening.
Nice province but the laws are anal. I know, shouldn't be talking on the phone, been doing it. Too old to comply.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today i was driving to work in cranbrook around 8:20 am unaware that my park brake was slightly on causing my trucks daytime running lights to be off I passed a cop heading towards me on the opposite side of the road he passed me and instantly flipped around pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for not having my drl's on fair enough but the part that isn't fair is he never had his on either when I asked proceeded to ask why he didn't have any he told me police vehicles are exempt from having them because if they need to wait in alley they don't wanna be seen or if they wanna sit there with there vehicle running to do speed traps they can't have the lights wich brought me to my other complaint with his answer well as we know BC is Now Idle free unless you are a police officer waiting for a speeder to go by then you are exempt from this as well. I have also seen them go blowing through yellow and red lights and just briefly throw there lights on but yet others would get a ticket. I really feel the police force really need to look at there priorities and not be worrying about not having drl lights on when it is light out or worrying about the tinted windows they need to start focusing there attentions to bigger things otherwise a lot of people are gonna lose there respect for them.

i would think that if anything you get a warning about getting it fixed and then ya have to take it to the cop shop to verify the repair

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Just call the detachment commander and explain your situation.
They are really fair!

He will useally get the ticket dropped if your complaint is legit.

Remember he has the experiance and some of the newer members are just trying to do their job.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering how long it would take before someone would get a ticket for that. you were not unaware your park brke was slightly on you put it on for that reason only that your lights would be off. don't bs. the light in your dash wasn't an indication something might be up? to many dip sticks do this and it is a safety issue for everybody on the road not just you. have you ever paid attention to how hard it is to see these vehicles coming towards you on a 2 lane whi,e it is snowing or raining. quite your whining and pay your ticket. it is the law you break it you have to pay. i am not saying that i do not break the law ever but i realize that if i do get caught i will be responsible for my decision to break said law. pay up and leave your park brake off so that your drls work. :realmad:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They really are gunning for tickets these days. A buddy of mine got pulled over for tint the other day. He bought the truck in Calgary at the end of last summer, it then passed a provincial inspection, and got insured. Odd that it would pass inspection with the tint, but not the police eyes.

Must be close to budget time. Gotta bring in some revenue.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC's economy is not great and they have the huge costs of running the stupid Olympics. More trivial laws will come out shortly to get ticket revenue up.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

Park brake light on the dash wasn't on?...was it pulled on purpose?...so it doesn't shine through headlight covers and look dorky.

I can see his point about the idling of emergency vehicles and about the DRL's on police vehicles but remember they need to do this to catch people breaking the law whether it is someone breaking into you house or car or speeders or you driving with DRLs as much as we hate so laws they are still the law. I can't count how many times or a hazy day or a dusky morning(8:20) I have drove down the hwy and get behind a slow moving truck and wanna pass but you kinda get a glimpse or something and it turns out to be an old farm truck with no DRL which isn't law to that truck. Now if I was 30 years older I might have not seen it and tried to pass. They write laws to try to protect people not piss them off. As for the tinted windows once you see what it does to your face in a minor collison you wouldn't have them either.

Here is a question for everyone why do we hate police and the laws when we are the ones breaking them?........cause we get caught?....but when someone breaks into our trucks/houses it's the 1st people we call and put on a different face.

I am not a cop nor will I ever be one....but I do like doughnuts....I just value their jobs. I deal with trucks who deal with police and DOT and it always comes down to greediness of people if you do everything right a law abiding you should never have a problem.

Last edited:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the tinted windows once you see what it does to your face in a minor collison you wouldn't have them either.

I've never seen what they do, largely because I haven't been in a wreck bad enough yet, but what would be the downfall?

Just curious

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I've never seen what they do, largely because I haven't been in a wreck bad enough yet, but what would be the downfall?

Just curious

The side glass is designed to shatter into a million pieces and fall out of the way. Now all those pieces are glued to a piece of tint...it's like running a large piece of sandpaper made of glass over your face pretty nasty. And it doesn't take a bad wreck just someone to tap you on the side for the glass to shatter

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering how long it would take before someone would get a ticket for that. you were not unaware your park brke was slightly on you put it on for that reason only that your lights would be off. don't bs. the light in your dash wasn't an indication something might be up? to many dip sticks do this and it is a safety issue for everybody on the road not just you. have you ever paid attention to how hard it is to see these vehicles coming towards you on a 2 lane whi,e it is snowing or raining. quite your whining and pay your ticket. it is the law you break it you have to pay. i am not saying that i do not break the law ever but i realize that if i do get caught i will be responsible for my decision to break said law. pay up and leave your park brake off so that your drls work. :realmad:

Brake light was oFF @$$ hole why would I intenially make it HARD FOR PEOPLE TO SEE ME IT'S AN OLD TRUCK I EVEN SHOWED THE OFFICER THAT IT WAS JUST MY PARK BRAKE ACTING UP AND STILL GOT A TICKET FOR IT JUST SAYING BIGGER PRIORITIES OUT THERE THAN A DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS TICKETS

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the side glass is designed to shatter into a million pieces and fall out of the way. Now all those pieces are glued to a piece of tint...it's like running a large piece of sandpaper made of glass over your face pretty nasty. And it doesn't take a bad wreck just someone to tap you on the side for the glass to shatter

so if it so harmful why do they allow severe tinting on the back windows they use the same tint as the aftermarket 3m tint companies rite from the factory so this reason of it causing harm to the driver isn't good enough for me . The states you can have as much tint as you want on any window and have never heard of anything of how it will hurt you if in a crash.

nightmagic

Reaction score
Just courious , i got pulled over for my fog lights being on and he said he gave a warning, then i asked to see it in the regs, but he couldnt find it. Was he just mad my lights were brighter then his or isthis a law

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The side glass is designed to shatter into a million pieces and fall out of the way. Now all those pieces are glued to a piece of tint...it's like running a large piece of sandpaper made of glass over your face pretty nasty. And it doesn't take a bad wreck just someone to tap you on the side for the glass to shatter

Yea, that makes perfect sense. Holy hell though, that would be a terrible situation though. I'm not a big fan of shaving, never mind pieces of glass ripping at my face.

nightmagic

Reaction score
so if it so harmful why do they allow severe tinting on the back windows they use the same tint as the aftermarket 3m tint companies rite from the factory so this reason of it causing harm to the driver isn't good enough for me . The states you can have as much tint as you want on any window and have never heard of anything of how it will hurt you if in a crash.

I have been told the reason about tinting is to if something happens you are able to identify the driver, hit and run ect. You are allowed some tint on the sides but only darkend so much

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

It's not the color thats the law it is the film on the window. Only manitoba and Quebec it's by color so pedestrians and other vehicles make eye contract to see what you are doing.

For the back windows dark as you want techically you don't need windows in the back like cube vans and semis....as long you have 2 outside mirrors

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what's with all the @$$holes that have to leave there diesels running for over 5 minutes some arse ran his diesel next door for 2 hours price of diesel should be higher then they might find the ignition switch

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom