CVIP's on Pick-Up Trucks

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah....lol. finally got to see that part of the world this summer, moved a bunch of Ledcor stuff in and out of there.

do you have to run a log book in Alberta?

nope not that i'm aware of, i thought that came into play when you're registered over 11750kg or something like that- or maybe that could have been the cvip

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope not that i'm aware of, i thought that came into play when you're registered over 11750kg or something like that- or maybe that could have been the cvip
if you travel more than 160kms from your base you have to. if you're commercial and registered for over 4500kg in Alberta you must pull into the scales when the lights are on, so I'm pretty sure you would need a log book.

edit: I think you may be right, I think if you're federally registered then the weight is 4500kg....11794 provincially

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting, i was under the understanding i only had to pull in the scales if it weighed over 4500kg, i am right around that usually, unless i take some extra material. and for the most part i'm never more than 160km from home, only the fox creek trips are more.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting, i was under the understanding i only had to pull in the scales if it weighed over 4500kg, i am right around that usually, unless i take some extra material. and for the most part i'm never more than 160km from home, only the fox creek trips are more.
you were correct earlier, if you are registered for under 11794kg then hours of service regulations do not apply. you shouldn't have to run a log book in BC to drive your pickup there.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks teeroy, i'm going to get some more things ironed out here. so much more crap to worry about than i anticipated starting out. never even thought of the difference it would make to sledding trips having my truck commercialy registered.:rolleyes:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks teeroy, i'm going to get some more things ironed out here. so much more crap to worry about than i anticipated starting out. never even thought of the difference it would make to sledding trips having my truck commercialy registered.:rolleyes:
I have a friend I grew up with that is a DOT officer, sent him an email earlier today to ask him to call me about a couple other things, I'll ask him about that too and report back.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend I grew up with that is a DOT officer, sent him an email earlier today to ask him to call me about a couple other things, I'll ask him about that too and report back.

Ask him about Federal vs Provincial area of service and service radius which governs log books and such. That would be the interesting info teeroy....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask him about Federal vs Provincial area of service and service radius which governs log books and such. That would be the interesting info teeroy....
if you are provincial and registered under 11794kg, no log book or safety fitness certificate is required. above that you need the certificate but you still don't require a log book until you go more than 160 kms away from your base, or work for more than 15hrs per day. federally registered over 4500kg log book is required anytime you drive the vehicle. for personal use of a commercial, federally registered vehicle, you are allowed 75kms travel or under. anything more than 75 you have to fill out a log book.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be aware with the 160Km from base rule you need someway to prove your hours for the previous two week regardless. We just run a log book all the time even if we happen to be within 160K.

weldor

Reaction score
Just be aware with the 160Km from base rule you need someway to prove your hours for the previous two week regardless. We just run a log book all the time even if we happen to be within 160K.

So your log book is a personal book, not a vehicle book right??? So if I'm running my welding truck for 2 weeks strait, then go sledding with my other truck I take that log book from truck to truck. I don't need one in each truck do I???

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your log book is a personal book, not a vehicle book right??? So if I'm running my welding truck for 2 weeks strait, then go sledding with my other truck I take that log book from truck to truck. I don't need one in each truck do I???

Thats Correct. The log book is for you and you will need your pre and post trips to match it and vehicle used that day.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a suggestion that works for me. I have a large fleet of commercial pickups and everyone of them, including 2500 and 3500s are insured for 4491 kgs. There is no log book required and in the past 5 years of operating, not one of my guys have had a problem, even when pulling trailers and stopped by DOT for a check. Seems to be a non-issue and we also run in BC without problems. It works for me anyways.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a suggestion that works for me. I have a large fleet of commercial pickups and everyone of them, including 2500 and 3500s are insured for 4491 kgs. There is no log book required and in the past 5 years of operating, not one of my guys have had a problem, even when pulling trailers and stopped by DOT for a check. Seems to be a non-issue and we also run in BC without problems. It works for me anyways.

Everythings okay until you get caught. All it will take is a random check and a guy with an attitude. You don't want to get on their radar. We just finished an audit at work, they threatened to ground our fleet.

Top Bottom