Curious about diesel fuel - looking at a truck swap

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have never run any additives and I've run nothing but marked fuel from the Co-op cardlock in both my diesels. My 2002 Dodge has had a chip right from the dealership in Feb of 2002 and has 500,000 on it. My 2012 Dodge has 170,000 and has been chipped for 2 years running the same fuel. Neither burn a drop of oil and both run strong with great fuel mileage. Have I just been lucky???
I’ve never had a problem with coop diesel so I think the coop fuel is good, my 06 Duramax has 428000 on it on original injectors.

Side note, gas stations were all closing early yesterday on my way to work, only place I could get fuel was the shell. 8 tried out that vpower diesel. And found my truck ran 50 degrees warmer on the exhaust temperatures then normal. Going 100 on the cruise I’m usually 650-700 degrees on the egt when it’s calm. This morning I had a decent tailwind coming home, nothing on my truck changed for the night before. But I was steady at around 700 degrees. And with the temperature we had last night 8 should be been cooler.

Time me will tell about economy.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had a problem with coop diesel so I think the coop fuel is good, my 06 Duramax has 428000 on it on original injectors.

Side note, gas stations were all closing early yesterday on my way to work, only place I could get fuel was the shell. 8 tried out that vpower diesel. And found my truck ran 50 degrees warmer on the exhaust temperatures then normal. Going 100 on the cruise I’m usually 650-700 degrees on the egt when it’s calm. This morning I had a decent tailwind coming home, nothing on my truck changed for the night before. But I was steady at around 700 degrees. And with the temperature we had last night 8 should be been cooler.

Time me will tell about economy.
Coop is a top tier gas like shell and such, would think there diesel is also

Your piro is up because it's more winter diesel than what ya had before

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Always run coop diesel when I can my truck runs great on it. Their gas my vehicles didn't run as well. Mileage was poorer. Might have been the station tho I dunno.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Been burning a tank a week in my truck all year. If shell has more “winterized” diesel then coop then you’re right. But I think it’s had winter diesel going in it for a few months now.

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From ESSO website

Reliable operability in cold temperatures

We blend base diesel fuel according to seasonal specifications. Refineries provide diesel fuel to geographically cold climates from lighter distillates and use additives to maintain cold weather fuel performance. Cloud point depressants, for example, suppress the temperature at which paraffin waxes form. In especially frigid climates, cold flow additives may be used to help prevent wax crystals from interfering with the engine’s fuel filter.

https://www.esso.ca/en/diesel-fuel

Esso stations offer winterized products in the majority of regions that commonly experience temperatures below 12°C.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the very interesting conversation.
To answer/address some of the questions I do also have a 27' TT that I would pull with the truck and also considering a deck so moving from an F150 to a 3/4 ton diesel would be a natural move. I have a specific truck in mind to swap with should it become avail in the near future - its a 05 or 06 duramax diesel so before the regen requirements. My take on this thread is mainly to not run noname stuff which I never do and also to at least run the odd bottle of cleaner/lube through to keep things running well. I was curious though about the comment about top tier - I know that a station has to have all grades of gas tested and meet the requirements to be certified at this standard. Are the diesel fuels also included in this?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my take on it since mine is basically used for the same reasons you want a diesel.

When I pull up to a station be if Shell, FastGas, who ever, it’s not a Shell truck dropping off bulk fuel and so on. It’s Manti’s, Koch, Western, whoever. Wherever they picked up be it at the terminal or elsewhere they drop at whoever is on their list for the day. The diesel in the tank wasn’t refined for just Station A, it goes to everyone on the guys list.

So running no name is running the same stuff as the brand name across the street. The brand name guys may or may not be adding their own additional additives increasing the cost and profit margins. Is that additive that much better? I can’t say as I am not a chemical analyst.

In Canada at least, I am sure the US has the same laws, ULS diesel has to meet a requirement that meets all vehicle manufacturers guidelines but no one monitors the quality of the fuel once at the stations. So station B’s on site tanks could be garbage and their on site filtration may never get properly serviced where station A the big brand station may be held to a higher level of accountability.

All road diesel in Canada is ULSD and all is type A. That’s the law. Is depending on where you live and who supplies it you may get different blends of Number 1 and number 2 diesel. Adds to the confusion.

So just like with any fuel, sure stay away from the back country shady looking fuel stations, although I know lots of small town stations that move a ton of diesel because they are the only guys for 50 miles who have a diesel pump. The school buses fill their, the local heavy equipment guys and so on. So their diesel is always “fresh”. Personally I don’t get too hung up on it. Canada’s cetane minimum ratings are some of the lowest in the world which isn’t great so additives can help but much of it is snake oil.

Keep doing your research, it shouldn’t end just here. Buy from where ever you decide and live with it. Lol.

https://nwfuel.ca/whats-deal-winter-diesel/

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I puts the ufa purple diesel in the half million dollar combines and don't think twice about it.

The load of fuel I got in October was winter fuel.

UFA uses shell fuel and lube.

You can buy fuel from the UFA cardlock with any credit card now.

I used to work at shell.
In the upgrader.
That was just a random fact.

Reaction score
Way to much overthinking going on on this topic. I have run diesel pickups for 24 years in forest industry, and ran hard in my younger days. 70,000 km + / year. Used a bit of fuel additive back in the early days until my uncle talked some sense into me. He is a heavy duty mechanic. Worked for finning. Said to me no need for additives and treatments. Just looks how heavy diesel fuel is compared to gasoline. Sufficient lubricant in fuel Itself. Never had any problems except for a couple of ****ty 6.0 litres which were a crap off the lot. 6.4 wasn’t much better. Probably worse but not to blame on fuel. On my third 6.7l and it is an amazing pulling monster. Have had 3 Cummins, 1 7.3l, 3 6.0l, 1 6.4l, and 3 6.7l. Drive a gasser in the bush now. Way faster and smoother. The diesel is for hauling sleds, off road vehicles, camper and boat. So she is alway under load.

Important factor is no water. Drain water separator when warning on. Buy clean fuel. And sure hit the tank with a good cleaner/drier like stanadyne once in a while. Sold a 97 Cummins PU with 450,000 km after it sat for 5 years in the yard to a kid who is running the shat out of it and still running strong I believe. I put a pile of marked fuel through that thing.

Fill er up and run it. Let the turbo cool down.

My .02$.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also have to admit, up until the past 15 years, most diesels could run off straight slightly filtered vegetable oil...

with the tolerances of new era diesels being the way they are, i’ll keep buying the additives because they pay for themselves and then some(when I remember to add it), and they don’t hurt, instead rather help the truck.

Just did another drive home with that shell premium diesel in my truck. And I have to say, 730 degrees average on the egt with a 13km tail wind. It’s consistenty warmer, I’m going to run the tank down low again, fill up with coop from the normal station I go to and compare again.

Usually ran about 666 degrees(only reason why I remember the temp so well) on my drive home in a certain part of the highway where it’s perfeclty flat and fresh pavement.

One thing that I would invest in if you’re looking for longevity, get a FASS fuel system, and then a CAT adapter for the filter head on the motor to be able to run the cheap big 1 micron fuel filters. I run an 8 and 15 micron filter on my FASS to take the brute of the impurities if any get in, and then as low micron as I can find for the stock filter head. Which usually is a 4 micron glass media WIX filter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom