Curious about diesel fuel - looking at a truck swap

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plug a 2 micron filter with 2 stroke oil there is something else wrong.

However the zinc additives in the 2 stroke oil can foul fuel injectors, and will foul up a particulate filter with ash that can't be burnt out in a regen.

Regardless it's not an overly intelligent thing to put in a truck that was built to run on ulsd, and good luck getting warranty on it if they find it in the fuel system.

That’s why you outboard it’s very low ash. But I didn’t realize it’s not a good thing for the newer trucks.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It means your filter is doing it's job. It won't plug solid but repeated use will eventually restrict your filter.

A coffee filter is about 20 micron and 2 stroke oil will barely flow through that to put it in perspective.
It barely flows because the oil is viscous, not because the oil has particles larger than 2 micron. Mix it say 200:1 with diesel and it won't be a problem. I have run gallons of 2 stroke oil through 2 micron filters in an older diesel and never plugged one off.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s why you outboard it’s very low ash. But I didn’t realize it’s not a good thing for the newer trucks.
Even low ash will still contain additives that can foul the dpf. That's why when the new emissions equipment came in the diesel oils all changed to have way less additives. Because even burning a small amount of engine oil over time with previous engine oils would have poisoned the exhaust filters.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It makes no sense to add crap to a $20,000 engine still under warranty that specifically states not to do it. Yes, some stuff is harmless and probably works, but most is snake oil.

But my smooth sensor is fully calibrated and I know more than the group of engineers who designed the engine.

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
These two products have found their way into our fuel tanks for th farm, and when seeding we have noticed a good difference in fuel consumption.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diesel-Kleen-Plus-Cetane-Boost-80-oz/16644702
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9149115/01036

when I had a slip tank in the back of my truck I use to put them in there and I could tell a slight difference in consumption in my Duramax, Comparatively our tractor with a 600 litre fuel tank vs a pickup with an 89 later fuel tank. The
percentage in fuel savings is minimal per tank, but over numerous fills it adds up.

Lets just say it was a 5% fuel savings, at 600 litres per fill, which would be 30 litres, which is $30 and you’re using half a bottle each fill, you’re not really saving any money at all, but you get added range, added lubricity, and cleaning at the same time.

in reality we saved more then 30 litres on a fill of diesel on the tractor, conditions may have played a roll in comparison to last year. I didn’t want to give a false sense of hope to everyone. But in our experience, the fuel additives paid for themselves three times over.

So so pick your poison. I run coop diesel through my truck, never had a problem ever. Shell premium diesel is snake oil imo

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It barely flows because the oil is viscous, not because the oil has particles larger than 2 micron. Mix it say 200:1 with diesel and it won't be a problem. I have run gallons of 2 stroke oil through 2 micron filters in an older diesel and never plugged one off.
Key word older diesel. And I'm not talking about viscosity being an issue. It's the stuff you can see and clean off after it runs through that I'm talking about.

You will NEVER find any manufacturer recommend using 2 stroke oil in a cr engine. That should tell you something.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATF. Helps with lubricity if that's what you are after.
No manufacturer is recommending any additives. ... but for what environment? It gets cold and then the winter fuel needs something I feel.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATF. Helps with lubricity if that's what you are after.
No manufacturer is recommending any additives. ... but for what environment? It gets cold and then the winter fuel needs something I feel.

ATF contains frictions modifiers. Friction modifiers are compounds designed to increase friction in clutch packs so an automatic transmission operates properly. Not exactly what you want to put in your fuel to increase lubrication.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right!!! Perhaps 80-140 gear oil would be a better choice. It's hypoid after all. Sheesh. Everybody's got to find fault.
Just saying .
Back to the point of the thread...use whatever fuel you want and see how it works for you. It's gonna depend on the truck and mods and where you live and and and..... I have a conditioner I use... it's not atf or 2 stroke oil but I can show you trucks that have burned many gallons of both with no adverse effect.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope u haul more than a sleds to be going in to a rattle trap stinky diesel haha

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope u haul more than a sleds to be going in to a rattle trap stinky diesel haha

Hope you're not hauling more than a sled , if you're going to a grocery getter or El Camino type truck . Haha. Listen to that gas pot at 4500 rpms all day. Sheesh !!

Kyle89

Reaction score
I add Power service diesel clean to my duramax, bump up the cetane a couple points, little more lubricity and maybe help cleaning fuel system. It's not gonna hurt anything in the long run that's for sure. Ive heard both people run and not run additives both with high mileage.

I used to have a 6.0L powerstroke that would consistantly get 100 more km per tank vs no additive.

Last edited:

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on what your looking to buy for motor. My 5.9 cummins I'd always add howes in conjunction with fass fuel system to save injectors. Truck has 338,000 on it and still running strong. My new L5P I likely won't add anything to it unless it -25 or more. Having dual micron filtration to keep diesel clean is a big part of prolonging your diesel

Toro

Reaction score
I use additives from time to time with my pre-emission trucks but never with my new emissions truck.
I am more concerned about where I buy my fuel to make sure I'm getting good, clean fuel, I will not fill from any station getting refuelled regardless of above ground or buried tanks.
I avoid biofuels but that can be difficult and avoid stations with buried stations, I've got my regular fuel up places that I trust.
Suncor and Imperial are the big 2 diesel suppliers in the Edmonton area and I will use either of them, they both make good products and are pretty good with cleanliness of product (I subcontract to one of them and work with their product distribution at the storage level)

• Thanks
Reactions: LID

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the the stanadyne in my 13 duramax and I can definitely tell a difference on how smooth it runs with the additive versus no additive. I don't care what the manual says that additive makes my truck run so nice
I agree, no matter how a engine is engineered, the fuel sucks and needs something

Probably the best stuff that made the biggest difference is sea foam

Yep that sh!t goes in anything

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never run any additives and I've run nothing but marked fuel from the Co-op cardlock in both my diesels. My 2002 Dodge has had a chip right from the dealership in Feb of 2002 and has 500,000 on it. My 2012 Dodge has 170,000 and has been chipped for 2 years running the same fuel. Neither burn a drop of oil and both run strong with great fuel mileage. Have I just been lucky???

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I asked the guy that owns the bulk station in Chetwynd about winter and summer fuel a few years ago he said that there is no difference anymore. According to him wherever he gets his fuel from sells him nothing but a winter fuel now.

Top Bottom