Crowsnest Pass Area potentially CLOSED

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
It's time to write the Honourable Ted Morton Minister of sustainable resources and voice your concerns. I did!

Ted is looking to hear from the public on this issue before making any decision so make sure you right him and let your voice be heard.

The article is also in friday's Edmonton sun on Page 19, Buried where know will see it. I am sure it is in the Calgary sun as well.

please voice your opinion

Here is the contact Information for Ted Morton

Legislature Office
420 Legislature Building
10800 97 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada T5K 2B6
Phone: (780) 415-4815
Fax: (780) 415-4818
Constituency Offices

Constituency Office
6, 160 Maclaurin Drive
Calgary, AB
Canada T3Z 3S4
Phone: (403) 216-2221
Toll-Free: 1-866-843-4314
Fax: (403) 216-2225
foothills.rockyview@assembly.ab.ca

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Mr. Morgan's office. The lady told me to email

tracy.arnell@gov.ab.ca

If you send to the email that throttle-up posted, it will be forwarded to the lady above anyways. So you might as well skip the middleman.

I also asked her if writing a letter on paper is more effective than an email. She said an email will be fine, please try to use an official email addresss ie: shaw or telus so that they know you are serious and an actual person.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the contact info guys. This is what this site is great at info sharing. Sent my letter already So post when you send yours.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I filled out a form on the Sustainable Development site to voice my opinion as well as sending out emails. It would seem that the media jumped on this and ran away with the wrong message.

Sustainable Resource Development responds as follows:

Thank you for taking the time to write to Alberta Connects. I apologize for the passage of time in responding to your inquiry about Off Highway Vehicle Access.

The following is a response to your inquiry.

The government of Alberta is still in the early process of establishing where core grizzly bear habitat is located in the province, and we will be meeting with scientists at the end of October to discuss this topic. Discussions concerning access management will occur much later, and will include discussions with all stakeholders. At no time have we indicated we would be banning or prohibiting off-highway vehicles along the eastern slopes, and the suggestion that we would be looking at that is very misleading.

It is unfortunate that the media has focused on off-highway vehicles when discussing grizzly bear management, as this is a small part of the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan.

We have provided questions and answers regarding the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan, as well as a backgrounder, if you follow the links on our website

I hope this information will help you

Thank you

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like the info we have been trying to search out. Will at least SRD knows that there are people in the quad and snowmobile community watching. Sounds like they may have got lots of responses from over this issue and thats not a bad thing!!!!:)

Britt

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is great that we are sending the letters and comments in even though SRD has said they were not going to close off the East Slopes Area to atvs & sleds untill there has been a public discussion period. SRD has to hear it loud & clear that the atv & sled community will not take this lying down. So it is now very improtant that the atv & sled community participate in the public discussion period for the GB habitat process. LET SRD KNOW YOUR STAND!!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK never wrote this kind of letter before................Other then not wanting areas closed off to we the users what should be said?? any tips would be appreaceated. you can PM me

thanks

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a copy of my letter. Some ranting but hopefully makes a point.

Dear Honourable Ted Morton
Minister of Sustainable Resource Development
I read today that the Department of Sustainable Resource Development is considering closing a significant amount of public land to OHV access in the Eastern Rocky Mountains – along the Alberta/BC border.

I am an avid snowmobiler and believe that solutions can be found with the right information and through land management agreements that work for everyone. I am just as concerned about our wildlife but we need to have accurate information before making decisions that affect local economies and the people of Alberta. I have absolutely no knowledge of the current grizzly bear population in Alberta. I would assume that most Albertans are equally ignorant. I also believe that the Alberta government lacks credible information regarding grizzlies as well. This lack of credible information enables environmental groups to generate and spread questionable information to further their agendas. The recent deaths of bears on our railroads and poaching have to be considered and that overall mortality rates are not used as ammunition against OHV activities. The fact that wildlife officers have just been granted the right to carry firearms to fight poaching should have an impact on the grizzly population as well if it is indeed a concern.

On some recent trips to Waterton National Park, I was amazed at the number of people that would rush out of their vehicles and sometimes run towards bears along the highways. This type of activity surely has some impact on the bears and related stress when feeding or mating and yet there have been no measures announced to curb this behavior. My point is that OHVs are easily targeted for many environmental concerns. Studies need to be made on all human activity that affects our wildlife and environment. If we just look at one or two activities then you will only draw conclusions that impact those activities and not the bigger picture. It would be similar to studying white males between the ages of 30‐35 and basing economic decision solely on that data.

I would urge the government to conduct proper studies on the decline of the grizzly population rather than blindly attribute it to OHV activity. Again, these studies should include everyone that interacts with the grizzly population and not skew the results and recommendations based on OHV activity. There are many opinions available regarding land use, wildlife management, etc. Please consider the underlying agenda of anyone offering opinions without facts from an independent study of the current situation, causes and possible solutions. I am sure that this approach is common with your department. However, I feel it’s necessary to state this and voice my concern regarding this issue. If independent studies have already been conducted and published, then I would ask that these are made readily available to all Albertans so that we are better informed.
Thank you

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great letter!! :Happy6: My letter was based on how SRD has worked with the ohv & snowmobile asscociations in the province with trail development and how many hours of volunteer labour have gone into developing and maintaining these trails which are there for everyones use wether your are an ohv or snowmobile user or not and if SRD goes ahead with this closure they have basiclly said thanks for all the hard work but you will no longer be able to use the trails that you as a volunteer worked so hard on!!!! I see that the ASA has some backgrounder info on the GB study on there web site, great to see that the info is getting out to the general public. Also seen in todays paper the ASA had some poor guy dressed up in a bear costume yesrterday in Calgary marching to the city zoo in protest about the GB study they felt the zoo was the only safe place in Alberta for the GB's. Maybe they should adopt a couple of bears to keep in their backyards:rollinglaugh: Seriously this issue could become quite heated over the next few months.

Britt

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good response Mac900rmk. To heck with waiting for the public input part of the GB study get your thoughts on paper and send them to SRD NOW!!!!. I was on the AWA web site and it looks llike they are about to launch a huge campaign on the GB issue, and you know what there stand is. So get those letters in don't let the environmentalists have last say on this issue!!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Britt was that the ASA or the AWA that did the Zoo thing and got more media coverage to all those viewers out there that know a little but believe what is said on the news.

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Wanted to let everyone know that here are a couple of the responses I got from the MLA's on this issue. It appears as though they are willing to listen.

Thanks

Dear Mr. Sparrow,

I have this response from the government:

The government of Alberta is still in the early process of establishing where core grizzly bear habitat is located in the province, and we will be meeting with scientists at the end of October to discuss this topic. Discussions concerning access management will occur much later, and will include discussions with all stakeholders. At no time have we indicated we would be banning or prohibiting off-highway vehicles along the eastern slopes, and the suggestion that we would be looking at that is very misleading.

It is unfortunate that the media has focused on off-highway vehicles when discussing grizzly bear management, as this is a small part of the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan.

We have provided questions and answers regarding the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan, as well as a backgrounder, if you follow the links on our website

I’m sure you know that the review of the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan has been completed. Here is a link if you would like to read more.

I hope the government’s response has helped to clear up the misconception with the banning of ATV’s and Snowmobiles.

If you would still like our office to write to Minister Ted Morton on this matter I would be happy to do so. Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Heather Nish

Constituency Assistant

Cardston-Taber-Warner

Phone – (403) 223-0001

Fax – (403) 223-0002

Email – cardston.taberwarner@assembly.ab.

AND..............................................................................................

I have read through your e-mail and understand and agree with the concerns you have raised regarding the potential closure of the Eastern Rocky Mountains along the BC/Alberta Border. Our parks and areas need to be open to our public for their enjoyment. If the use of snowmobiles or off road vehicles are kept to the trails, and people use respect for our lands I do not see the need for any closures. Our grizzlies are not being killed or depleted by snowmobiles and ATV’s. I would not have a problem supporting your views and concerns in our legislature or during policy meetings which will assist in making these decisions.

Therefore, I have taken the liberty of forwarding a copy of your concerns to the Honourable Ted Morton for his response directly to you.

Thank you again for informing me of your concern.

Barry McFarland, M.L.A., Little Bow, 1-800-563-0917

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledderglen that was the AWA that did the GB stunt in Calgary on Wedensday. Where are the fish cops when you need them??? Anyway the AWA has their knickers in a knot over the GB issue and according to their web site they are about to mount a public campaign about the plight of the East Slopes GB and you are right the folks in the the city will eat this up hook line and sinker. So that means we (atv & snowmobile users) are going to have to mount a letter writing campaign of our own. It seems every time their is an access issue to public lands the media go running with mike in hand to the AWA for their opinion but you never see the media trying to get an opinion on the other side of the issue:confused:

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Sledderglen that was the AWA that did the GB stunt in Calgary on Wedensday. Where are the fish cops when you need them??? Anyway the AWA has their knickers in a knot over the GB issue and according to their web site they are about to mount a public campaign about the plight of the East Slopes GB and you are right the folks in the the city will eat this up hook line and sinker. So that means we (atv & snowmobile users) are going to have to mount a letter writing campaign of our own. It seems every time their is an access issue to public lands the media go running with mike in hand to the AWA for their opinion but you never see the media trying to get an opinion on the other side of the issue:confused:

I agree with you. The media sure portrays the story they want and not the whole story. Anyone with media contacts around here??? Mabye the Alberta Snowmobile Association should get into this and represent us in the media.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the ASA should charge a few extra bucks on thier memberships and use those funds to hire a media consultant:confused: I think this land use issue is going to be battled in the newspapers and the T.V. and this battle is going to heatup in Alberta. Don't let the environmentalists decide when and where you are going to ride!!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At the snowmobile show this past weekend I can say that the ASA WAS all over this. Something that also is important is to respond on your letters that you are part of the ASA promoting snowmobiling. We cant leave it all to the ASA to do. I know what they do, been there done that, still doing it and will never stop BUT dont just sit back and think its all up to the ASA to handle. We all have to do our part by talking to your MLA or writting a letter or put a letter to the editor in your local paper. This all helps more than you can imagine. The ASA works directly with the government agencies,meetings,committees and such. Its really up to you to talk locally or regionally to whoever. The ASA supplies assistance to local snowmobile clubs in way of ideas or info on meetings and will give you the info to talk about. In short YOU are the ASA in a way. We are in this together. This topic caught the Goverment off gaurd and brought some negative publisity to them. I think that this may bite the AWA in the kister like a grizzly bear should.;). This will continue forever and we will be there as long as we can. Dont take this lying down but stand up for yourself and get involved and get the truth out there and lets continue. THANKS:rant:

Top Bottom