Crowsness pass riding/camping

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
Hi, never been to crowsness pass riding /camping but planning a trip with fanilly to go out with side x side... Was wondering if anyone know if there still lot of snow there and any good spot for camping/riding
thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2008 we went and camped at one of the snowmobile staging areas and ride from there. Can't remember where good enough to give directions but it was right out of town not to far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Atlas staging area just north of Coleman, AB. We were there 3 summers ago and had a blast, put on about 100kms a day, very easy riding, never winched once. We got a local map at a gas station in town. If you are riding all day bring spare gas, we used it everytime.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you're heading west the second last staging area (right before atlas) is the macgilvery staging area. Huge area with lots of random camping and good trails. They connect with the Atlas trails so either one is good I've just only stayed at macG.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you're heading west the second last staging area (right before atlas) is the macgilvery staging area. Huge area with lots of random camping and good trails. They connect with the Atlas trails so either one is good I've just only stayed at macG.
we camped at macg..just as you o thru town..trn right at the rental deler..upth hill to the end ..yu will see big mirrors on the coners going up..not far and the..tons of room and a short ride to atlas..id go back anytime,,nicetrails..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well maybe this year we can get a summer ride going in the crowsnest...... MacGillvery staging area is the biggest.... Atlas is a bit further down the highway....

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your from Calgary.... can I suggest you go to our local club page.... www.calgaryatvriders.com and have a look at our ride schedule ... we have a ride planned at crowsnest, I believe in July.....
many of our ride leaders know the area very well....... we usually ride the popular trails... like Race Horse Pass.... Grassy Mountain, lower deadmans flats, plane crash ride and the repeater....

Chooge

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get a download for mapsource for trails in Dutch Creek?

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is Quad Squad web site download GPS Maps | Quad Squad. There are goggle wipe maps called spankys that you can purchase at the gas stations and I know for sure at the stop inn hotel. They usually have lots.

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
Thanks for good info!! I was also wondering what kind of terrain is there ? Is there lot of mud? Or some area I can do some rock crawling or is mostly high speed trail? Just curious... Use to ride more like Waiparous , burnt timber, mc lean... Also few trip in radium... But seen the trail system in crowsnest pass and seems like an awesome place to ride so I'm planning to go this way a few Time this summer...

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
were members of the crowsnest quad squad and the crowsnow riders and when we go out there in the winter the area looks totally different than the summer you can't find the plane most years. if you stay on the trail and go south at 42 marker it takes you to the south snowmobile shelter and is a nice ride. one year we rode from atlas to the plane crash with the ok from the land owners that was a nice ride. if you join the club we go on some nice rides every year and the sites to see in the area are very interesting the history and old mines. are leader grew up in the area so he gets into places people know about

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
Look pretty neat... Just notice seems like they have few narrow quad bridge..is it possible to go around them or is the only way? I ride a maverick which is 64 " wide... Other then that seems like same kind of trail has radium ...

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
Ok so I've been chatting with few buddy and we were wondering how much snow there? Are we able to go on most trail? Or still too much snow... I would like to go to plane crash area too ... Just trying figure where would be best spot to camp with lot of trail... Buddy riding race quad so can't go through lot of snow...

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been there a few times , best time to go I think is in August and do the quad squad ride and then stay few extra days and see the other stuff ..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the absoulute best time to see all of the planes parts is late August.... in the video when you see the valley at the top where the wing is... that's all full of snow and ice... In August its tons further down and starts to melt from the ground up.. so it creates a cave... you can lye down on your stomach and see under neath the 2 ft thick ice still... there is a stream that runs underneath there and the motors of the plane are inbedded in the gravel and stick out halfway... that is the only time you can really see this... otherwise there is snow till late july or even early Aug and in Oct it starts all over again...

our Calgary club is doing a club ride down there with camping the weekend of July long.... www.calgaryatvriders.com June 27 - July 1 st 2014
we have great leaders too that know the area good.... wil be going on all the most popular rides... and always like to try a new trail sometimes....

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there are trails through the creeks just go across dont screw around in the creek. I am a member of Quad Squad as well did some rides with Mark Desaunoy to grassy mountain, Deadmans Pass and such. Check their web site as they organize rides. Atlas and McGilvery staging areas for camping. There is the Crowsnest Mountain Resort and Lost Lemon camp grounds for the amenities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom