Cracking spindles on 2011 m8????

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new m8 le and after a couple of rides i noticed the spindles cracked and bent where they go over the ski dampener. Had the sled on the lift and could see this happening if you endo and push the ski tips down with alot of force but I havent had any nice yard sale tumbles on it yet so Im kinda baffled.:confused: Any other guys see this? Other than this Im very happy with the sled. Kills me to say it but should have jumped off the poo train a while ago:d

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to question your intelligence, but are you sure the spindle is cracked, or is it just the paint? Cat paint on the a arms has been shitty for years, plus they're reasonably beefy down there, I would expect the aluminum portion to fail before that.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, it is definately cracked, if you have the sled on a lift and push the ski tips down the part that bottoms out on the rubber ski dampener tore apart right at the weld and bent up. Pretty hard to explain the location, will try to post pics later.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, it is definately cracked, if you have the sled on a lift and push the ski tips down the part that bottoms out on the rubber ski dampener tore apart right at the weld and bent up. Pretty hard to explain the location, will try to post pics later.

I know exactly what you're talking about.... Haven't heard of any other cases. That's an odd spot to fail, it seems pretty beefy there. Take some pics of it, and head down to your dealer. Or if you're feeling ambitious, just remove the spindle and take it in.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya got some new ones on order, my dealer is pretty good but hasnt heard of any problems either. I'm gonna say it happened from hitting a hard drift while in a wheelie, that is the only way I can see the force getting put on the back of the skis. Its a pretty easy change out and if this is the biggest problem I have with this unit life is pretty good!!!

sparky 800

Reaction score
You don't need to buy new ones take them apart or talk nice to welder buddy and to your local welding shop and they can fix them up for you. I have fixed lots of them.I think it happens when you drop off the side of trailer with no ramp or where the backs of the ski touches bellypan

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new m8 le and after a couple of rides i noticed the spindles cracked and bent where they go over the ski dampener. Had the sled on the lift and could see this happening if you endo and push the ski tips down with alot of force but I havent had any nice yard sale tumbles on it yet so Im kinda baffled.:confused: Any other guys see this? Other than this Im very happy with the sled. Kills me to say it but should have jumped off the poo train a while ago:d

My neighbor bought a new 2011 M8, and this week, he noticed his spindles cracked too. And his upper and lower A arms are outta wack too. Hes not a happy camper being a new sled to him about a month ago. He doesnt remember hitting anything either....... Hes tring to get warrenty out of it, but getting the run around... Time will tell if he gets them replaced. :confused:

f650

Reaction score
had my spindle crack on a 2010 m8 dealer replaced with no questions asked

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give your dealer a chance to have a look. if its a flaw it should be covered... remember its not the dealer to decide its warranty but im sure your dealer will step up... ..... keep the shiny side up... : ) : )

for the record being a cat dealer since 99 we have had good luck with them standing up to any issues...

Jacer

Reaction score
2011 M8 bought In November 2011. Both my spindles are cracked on the bottom.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure your rubber blocks between spindles and skis are installed the right way, I did this in a rush one time and installed backwards one side did this exact thing.

freezie

Reaction score
im sure my crossfire is like that too, i noticed it last trip , but havnt been able to get into the shop to have another look.

Jacer

Reaction score
IMG_0679.jpg Both spindles.

Top Bottom