cracked welds

ratatatat

Reaction score
I'm working on a 98 summit. I've got the motor out and the welds that attach the plate that the back motor mounts sit on to the tunnel are cracked. There are three welds on the back of this plate about 10 cm long each. They are all cracked. The plate is well attached on all other sides with no other cracks and I can't make it move at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the work to strip everything out of there and take it to a shop to get the back of this plate re-welded?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 98 summit. I've got the motor out and the welds that attach the plate that the back motor mounts sit on to the tunnel are cracked. There are three welds on the back of this plate about 10 cm long each. They are all cracked. The plate is well attached on all other sides with no other cracks and I can't make it move at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the work to strip everything out of there and take it to a shop to get the back of this plate re-welded?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can have it re-welded, or you can sandwich and gusset it with other plates and then rivet them in. I think I have a good picture of what you are talking about but not entirely sure, depends on how bad the cracks are and how much a motor flopping around in the engine bay means to you. My preference would be to have them welded and then put some additional support there as well while you are at it. If you already have the motor out , it sounds like you are almost there anyway, not too much more work to finish it properly.

ratatatat

Reaction score
Thanks Modman,

I'm off to try to find someone to weld it up (small town). I like the idea of some additional support in there especially if this is a problem others have encountered. That's the info I was looking for. If it was isolated to my machine I'd just weld it but if it is a weak poor design problem I'll try to do more. Doing an engine rebuild and want to do a good job. Did have a bit more vibration I thought. Would you change the motor mounts?

Thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
thanks modman,

i'm off to try to find someone to weld it up (small town). I like the idea of some additional support in there especially if this is a problem others have encountered. That's the info i was looking for. If it was isolated to my machine i'd just weld it but if it is a weak poor design problem i'll try to do more. Doing an engine rebuild and want to do a good job. Did have a bit more vibration i thought. Would you change the motor mounts?

Thanks

only change the motor mounts if they are badly cracked, or broken, or threads stripped.... Otherwise motor mounts should not be necessary.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman,

I'm off to try to find someone to weld it up (small town). I like the idea of some additional support in there especially if this is a problem others have encountered. That's the info I was looking for. If it was isolated to my machine I'd just weld it but if it is a weak poor design problem I'll try to do more. Doing an engine rebuild and want to do a good job. Did have a bit more vibration I thought. Would you change the motor mounts?

Thanks

Find a fabricator with good alluminum tig experience......any welder can weld it...but heat and filler rod choice with have a large bearing on the hard factor{ brittle test and elasticity}

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Modman,

Thanks

Where in the koots are you located? I'm from Castlegar and can recommend a good welding shop. Don't know about the cracking problem being widespread to other machines, sounds like it could be just on your sled. (maybe motor was too loose or took a good hit one hit). Main thing is to be able to keep the motor stationary to keep clutch center to center the same. You can add a torque arm if necessary. I broke the motor torque stop on my old mod sled and installed an arm in addition to the torque stop, worked way better. No, I would not change the motor mounts, unless like SummitRic said, they are torn or beat up. Usually they are pretty tough though.

Not sure what you plan on doing with this sled (jumping, climbing, general trail riding, etc), all the s-chassis mods that I built we gussetted and welded the bulkheads completely (for hillclimbing though)

Good luck with the repairs!

ratatatat

Reaction score
Thanks again Modman,

Had some info from a friend re the motor mounts. I guess they went to a stiffer diamar (sp?) in 2000 so I think I'll put those in.

You mentioned a weld shop? Would really like the info. I'm in Rossland so Castlegar would work.

Just kootenay trail riding, low risk climbing and the sled occasionally gets air but small jumps. Nothing extreme.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If in doubt

Canadian Power Machines
1007 Playmor Rd.
Site 15, Comp.4 RR #1
South, Slocan
877-359-6990
Main Jet in Nelson and the Above are Danno's techs

ratatatat

Reaction score
A photo of the problem 4 welds (not 3) hard to see the cracks in the photos. After closer inspection small cracks in the two side welds also.

Hope I managed the photo attachment, first try.

Attachments

• img_1656.jpg
    img_1656.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 44

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Consider getting some 90 durometer mounts from polaris, they aid alot in deflection as compared to the ski doo mounts.;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Modman,

Had some info from a friend re the motor mounts. I guess they went to a stiffer diamar (sp?) in 2000 so I think I'll put those in.

You mentioned a weld shop? Would really like the info. I'm in Rossland so Castlegar would work.

Just kootenay trail riding, low risk climbing and the sled occasionally gets air but small jumps. Nothing extreme.

Call Ron in Fruitvale and see who he recommends Phone: 250-367-9334. He is a family friend and runs his own machine shop, he probably knows a good welder in the Trail/Fuitvale area that can do it (or he might be able to do it himself - he does good work). I have had things done at Castlegar Machine and Chrome as well. Perogy Power (Playmor) and Main Jet is a bit far of a drive for you. My dad takes his stuff to Main Jet, but he lives on the Castlegar side of Genelle. They have been good to him in the past though. Don't go to Barrett's, just my opinion.

dmj1

Reaction score
If in doubt

Canadian Power Machines
1007 Playmor Rd.
Site 15, Comp.4 RR #1
South, Slocan
877-359-6990
Main Jet in Nelson and the Above are Danno's techs

Hey if you need that welded i can do it for you no problem.
aluminum is my specialty. main jet does not have a welder that can do aluminium. I live in castlegar and have a fully equipped shop for this task.
Canadian power products is a friend of mine and can also do the job.
if you are interested please pm me !!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey if you need that welded i can do it for you no problem.
aluminum is my specialty. main jet does not have a welder that can do aluminium. I live in castlegar and have a fully equipped shop for this task.
Canadian power products is a friend of mine and can also do the job.
if you are interested please pm me !!

Awesome!!!! Great info!!!! Rat, I would PM this guy.

ratatatat

Reaction score
Thanks dmj1. I did some networking around town and it turns out there is a sled deck builder (Highrise) that does lots of aluminium work and is located a few blocks from my house. I talked to him today and he can look at it next week. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

dmj1

Reaction score
Thanks dmj1. I did some networking around town and it turns out there is a sled deck builder (Highrise) that does lots of aluminium work and is located a few blocks from my house. I talked to him today and he can look at it next week. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

ya that's rite i forgot about hi rise
he will do a great job he is a customer of mine
cheers:beer:

Top Bottom