Cracked Tunnel on 2003 M1 problem

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with a cracked tunnel (near the foot rest) on a 2001 to 2004 M1 chassis ? I feel I don't even ride very hard to deserve this problem and I wonder if this is a design flaw. I noticed two small vertical cracks right on the tunnel at the same area of the foot rests ( towards the front) . I have a buddy with the same sled and his is cracked in the same location. Also the small aluminum backing plate on the tunnel that is near the chain case - rivets are loose or busted off. Any ideas ? :(

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your the second person who has had this problem this year,I have one 03 m series but have never heard of this before the last guy brought this up.You would not expect that unless you were getting some air and comming down hard.Keep us posted on what you find out!
catmando!

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on a 06 King Cat. I broke my front suspension arm, and my tunnel is cracked on the right side.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winterrulez

did you repair the tunnel ? If you did - how did you do it ?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Tunnel Repair

Okay, now the rest of us are curious.......... Did you repair it, or did warranty cover it???:confused: and if you repaired it, what did you do to reinforce it??:confused:

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will try and repair it this weekend. I took the sled to Echo to see if they would fix it on warrenty but they wouldnt. When they seen the crack they said it was impact damage. But i know i never hit anything that hard to crack it. My front suspension arm broke on me, and pulled the rivets and the plate in on the right side, i didn't catch it in time. The crack goes right thru where the bolt hole is. Going to Stewart/Hyder May 10th for 10 days will find out if she holds together. I guess i better take the Rev for a back up lol....

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
My neighbor cut away most of his boards and put snow eliminators on... not sure if this would sovle or prevent anything?

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100% Fix

The best way to fix the issue is to buy a ski-doo, works every time. Sorry cat boys i coulden't let that one go, with out a little burn. Lol

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
100 % fix

The best way to fix the issue is to buy a ski-doo, works every time. Sorry cat boys i coulden't let that one go, with out a little burn. Lol

Get a Summit..... Will not crack, Just will squash like a empty beer can !! (lite weight). Could not resist !:rollinglaugh: ..... Oh ! Oh!.... What have I started now ??:doh:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good technical advice. what are you Doo's and Pol's doing on the Cat forum anyway ? Laugh Laugh Laugh LOL

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good technical advice. what are you Doo's and Pol's doing on the Cat forum anyway ? Laugh Laugh Laugh LOL

They are wishing they could handle the ultimate machine. Somebody has to support the other companies. Not everyone has graduated to the Cat class. :D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Bored

I THINK THE DOO'S AND POO'S GUYS ALL FEEL KINDA LEFT OUT AND BORED, LIKE THE MAYTAG REPAIR MAN. NOTHING EVER WRONG WITH OUR SLEDS, SO KINDA INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE KATS NOW:eek: !!! LOL

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Burn

WOW...Thats a big burn and hard for the Cat Boy and Girls to compete with!!!

I THINK THE DOO'S AND POO'S GUYS ALL FEEL KINDA LEFT OUT AND BORED, LIKE THE MAYTAG REPAIR MAN. NOTHING EVER WRONG WITH OUR SLEDS, SO KINDA INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE KATS NOW:eek: !!! LOL

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:p Matag repair man ? --- Now theirs a guy who appears to have alot of friends. You Doo guys and Poos are bored because there is No thrill owning or riding the " other " machines LOL:D

ashman_42

Reaction score
I plated mine with stainless steel plating and used stainless steel bolts were the rivets were, i also had a friend tig weld the cracks up. I rode hard all last season and didn't have a issue, the bolt heads clear a 16 wide track so no worries there either

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with a cracked tunnel (near the foot rest) on a 2001 to 2004 M1 chassis ? I feel I don't even ride very hard to deserve this problem and I wonder if this is a design flaw. I noticed two small vertical cracks right on the tunnel at the same area of the foot rests ( towards the front) . I have a buddy with the same sled and his is cracked in the same location. Also the small aluminum backing plate on the tunnel that is near the chain case - rivets are loose or busted off. Any ideas ? :(

New to the site but will be around alot also...I'm bringing up this old post because i have the same problem with my 03 Mountain Cat 900 144". I never really rode or jumped hard with it either.I was doing a tune up after pulling my sled out for another great riding season and noticed i got the same two cracks in the same place???:rant: Any one new here or recently have this problem? If so did u fix the problem? and how?

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same problem for me too. Cracked from footrest to the front bolt hole on the rear suspension.I fixed it by taking the tunnel off, took it out back and threw it in the junk pile,phoned cat and ordered a new one,they are cheap from cat.That way things are straight and tight.

Reaction score
yeah i was thinking of doing the same thing but its like $580 for a new tunnel here in Alaska and i live in a small town so it will have to be freighted out to me and total cost would be around $700..I was just wondering if there would be a good temp way to just patch it up before my rear suspensions rips off the frame.lol

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
just get it tig weldet
or get a plate stainless steal which fits over it and rivet the plate to the tunnel if done so the stress or whatever is there will have larger place to get away the pressure

Top Bottom