Couple questions about oasis.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove by oasis on our way to chapel the other day.parking spot looked busy.

never ridden oasis before but would like to try it out.

i realize its a bit mote difficult area to ride in but that is what im looking for.

can anyone give me some info on the trail going up?

and the terrain up top?

thanks!

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a difficult ride in. Logging road most of the way and then a cut block and a relatively short trip through the trees off the top of the cut block into the alpine. Not a managed area so no cabin. No grooming so logging road can get bumpy and parts of narrow trail into alpine can get trenched. Once in alpine is a big area, think it is larger than Allen Creek if you look on the VARDA maps. Getting past the first bowl can be difficult for inexperienced riders as is a relatively steep drop through snow ghosts and trees with a number of sharper turns where due to the slope and condition of the trail can be at speeds one does not have a lot of control over. Anything that has some technical difficulty dropping into can be difficult coming back out.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a difficult ride in. Logging road most of the way and then a cut block and a relatively short trip through the trees off the top of the cut block into the alpine. Not a managed area so no cabin. No grooming so logging road can get bumpy and parts of narrow trail into alpine can get trenched. Once in alpine is a big area, think it is larger than Allen Creek if you look on the VARDA maps. Getting past the first bowl can be difficult for inexperienced riders as is a relatively steep drop through snow ghosts and trees with a number of sharper turns where due to the slope and condition of the trail can be at speeds one does not have a lot of control over. Anything that has some technical difficulty dropping into can be difficult coming back out.

Awesome thanks man.thats what im looking for!appreciate all the info!

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also how many km do you figure the trail up is? Just a rough estimate?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it's a 15 k ride in.

The drop in is a little intimidating the first time, I still get butterflies going in there sometimes, and is definitely a no-no on a socked in day. There are some sketchy spots avalanche wise. I would recommend you go in with someone who has been there before. If you break down after the drop to bowl 2, it's pretty much a heli haul out if you can't fix it. Make sure your machine is in good mechanical shape.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The drop in is a little intimidating the first time, I still get butterflies going in there sometimes, and is definitely a no-no on a socked in day. There are some sketchy spots avalanche wise. I would recommend you go in with someone who has been there before. If you break down after the drop to bowl 2, it's pretty much a heli haul out if you can't fix it. Make sure your machine is in good mechanical shape.

ok great info.so on a socked in day is there a spot to ride where you dont have to drop down? Or do you have to drop down to get anywhere?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The drop to the second bowls and beyond has claimed quite a few sleds. Be sure you are confident with your group and even take a few minutes to shovel out the trenches before you drop to help you on the way back out.

I would avoid it on a socked in day. The first bowl has some very large slopes that have a high avalanche potential on any given day and if you are forced to stay in there and shred (especially without visibility) you may be tempted to ride things you should not in those conditions. I would stay away from the area unless you are sure on the weather.

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just want to pass this on from first hand experince, the first bowl area has some ugly avalanche Potential that claimed the life of our good friend Dan Rains. Cant over stress it, treat it with respect as Curtis mentions. The drop in to the second bowl area has smacked up a few sleds for sure. In fact in the spring as the snow melts you can pick out new wind shields and hoods from some of the wrecks. There has been some sizeable avalanches past the first bowl also.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys much appreciated.is it possible to head up there and not have to drop into any bowls? And just scout the area?

i would rather play safe,learn the area a bit and then down the road go further back.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's not really anywhere you can go without dropping in. one question i have. I have always rode down the logging road a little ways and then taken a right up through the trees. this year i see a number of tracks continuing past the "Y" and further down the logging road. Where does this take you?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the other entrance..?. If I am thinking of what you are, Instead of going up through the cutblock you stay along the bottom?\\ It heads up through the trees, and there is a small treed area then a nice face to climb. It ends up at the top of the ridge that you have to climb (the other way.)

there's not really anywhere you can go without dropping in. one question i have. I have always rode down the logging road a little ways and then taken a right up through the trees. this year i see a number of tracks continuing past the "Y" and further down the logging road. Where does this take you?

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a ski touring cabin located way in the back of the valley that they sled into. People also use the Thompson FSR as a nice road ride in socked in conditions. One just has to be careful as there is a lot of ski closure terrain back there, although it is usually well signed.

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

First time I dropped into the first bowl, I about **** my pants. Hate dropping into a bowl and not seeing the bottom, especially being committed, and there is no turning back!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that is just the first bowl.. The second is even sketchier, when all you see is trenches out.. LOL

First time I dropped into the first bowl, I about **** my pants. Hate dropping into a bowl and not seeing the bottom, especially being committed, and there is no turning back!!

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only been there once in 2003 with my vertical escape we went quite away back but 3 out of 6 guys had ridden there extensively at that time one fellow had a ghost rider do some logging and we were able to fix it up and drive it out from way in the back.
to make a long story short take someone along that knows the area

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time was pretty sketchy for me too, went back a few bowls to the 'wall'. Our group hired a guide from vale, as we hadn't been there before, glad we did. Ended up breaking my handlebars way in the back at the 'wall', now that was a nerve wracking ride back out, lol. Glad I had some duct tape with me, and the climb out to get back to the trail was pretty wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone got vids or pics of this sketchiness?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple..

oasis 2 drop.jpg oasis drop.jpg

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time was pretty sketchy for me too, went back a few bowls to the 'wall'. Our group hired a guide from vale, as we hadn't been there before, glad we did. Ended up breaking my handlebars way in the back at the 'wall', now that was a nerve wracking ride back out, lol. Glad I had some duct tape with me, and the climb out to get back to the trail was pretty wild.

Thats not a "wall" that's the doorway to heaven lol! Just gotta know where to knock.

Reactions: Max
Top Bottom