Counter steering doesn't work on m1000 - is there a fix?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally find my M8 to be the easiest sled to carve and boondock with. Tried the xp's, dragons, nytros. I found I was fighting with the xp more than anything to make it go where I wanted. The nytro carved nice but after half a day that tank really began to wear on me. And the polaris, well............ just tipped over all the time and felt like there was no balance point, just plain sucked. I have just as much if not more a$$ time on all those three than I have so far on my M8 and already I like the point and shoot capability it has. Can't wait until I actually get used to it it could be very fun:d

1badhusky

Reaction score
You didn't know that? didn't your sled come with an owners manual says plain as day in there how to adjust shock pressure

I guess I didn't remember that bit. Probably cuz I didn't read that part too carefully - the guy I bought it from didn't mention turning it on its side when he showed me how to adjust the pressure.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The M1000 has a heavy front end. Lowering your ski shock pressures (or spring tension if you have coil overs) will only cause the front end to dive worse than it already probably does. Try lowering the front arm of the skid frame to the lower hole. The hole is already "half" there, but you'll have to drill it out from the inside of the tunnel. It got rid of the heavy ski pressure and made a huge difference on my '07 M1000. Handles like a dream now. I tried letting out the limiter strap & it didn't do it for me, but I run Timbersled front and rear so???? Also, the stock skis suck. I've tried a few different ones on mine and I really like the SLP powder pros I'm running now. :d

1badhusky

Reaction score
Yeah, it's already on the low skid setting - guy who had it before did the drill out.

Just took out 10psi from the right to make it easier to get it over on the right side, which was pretty hard to do - it's now at 45psi.

Added 10 to the left as it was too tippy on that side - so it's at 65psi

Is a 20psi difference in left/right too much?

The rear shock was at 105, which seems low from what others have said, so put that up to 125psi. What effect does more psi in the rear have on handling?

All this was at 50 degrees in my garage, so I guess all those will be a bit lower up top?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don,t know seems like you cat guys have alot of scr@wing around to get your sled to drive properly....i don,t know about the xps but my rev is the bomb!!!brap braaap.:d

1badhusky

Reaction score
ummm...I had to adjust my suspension on my XP for it to behave properly - and remove a retarded sway bar (WTF Ski Doo?)...one would think needing to adjsut the suspension is fairly typical of most sleds ridden off trail, assuming one knew what he was talking about, otherwise, why would suspensions come w/ expensive adjusters? :)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
One thing i had with my 2009 m8 is the steering tie rods were very hard to move even with the sled off the ground.Talked to dealer and got a new set.That made the difference for 300 miles,then the same thing.tie rods are seizing up.Talked to dealer and he said no more free sets for me.He sugested that i change them to the 2010 model tie rods and that should cure the problem. Have not changed them again as i have bought a new 2011 e-tec. The m8 is for buddies who want to come along for a ride,they are green and dont know any better.hahah will change next year or when someone has a complaint.It seemed the tie rods were good at the begining of day,But within a couple of hours steering was very hard.I dont think i was played out by then and had no strengh left.lol

Hey Buuuuuuuddy

907Riders.com

Reaction score
Website
www.907riders.com
My m1000 leans over much easier than my xp600 did, and once it does, it carves pretty good, but it seems counter steering while leaned over actually tends to prevent a sharp carve and straighten me out vs helping to make it sharper.

On the xp, counter steer would give you a nice hard turn.

Is this just the difference in how they handle due to 163 vs 146 and xp vs m or is my suspension possibly not set up correct? Steering does feel very heavy.

For the most part it handles well, but this counter steer thing is weird.

Put a set of SLP Powder Pro's on the sled and you will find it much more reactive to the counter steer. The PP's have a much larger side profile.

1badhusky

Reaction score
Put a set of SLP Powder Pro's on the sled and you will find it much more reactive to the counter steer. The PP's have a much larger side profile.

So that's two votes for the SLP Powder Pro's - anyone else in love w/ these? Anyone NOT like how they handle?

Sounds like a good option - tried a bunch of suspension settings and I am thinking it may be partly my skills, but also maybe partly the skis.

907Riders.com

Reaction score
Website
www.907riders.com
Well my 15 yr old would tell you yes too. He is saving his christmas money to buy a set. He is selling his usi's on craigslist right now.

I can get anyone a good deal on the powder pros. Pm or call for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom