any one else tried an xm and not liked it?

c_nelson99

Reaction score
Spent weekend in renshaw tried couple buddies sleds for comparison and found the 13xm 800 154" side hilled and turned worse than my 09 m1000 162.Found it funny that the guy coming off the pro rmk had the exact same opinion. Tried a 13 pro rmk 800 163 and a 14 proclimb 800 162 were way easier to side hill and initiate an up hill turn with.

To me and a guy coming off a the pro we both found the xm to need massive amounts of counter steering and pulling over to get it to stick on a side hill. Funny how similar the 14 proclimb was to the pro rmk, felt heavier by a bit and the ski's suck but that 800 cat motor sure has jam.

Anyone else found similar? was going to snow check an 15 summit 174" but just cant seem to get over the strange handling of the xm after trying it on multiple occasions.

Thoughts?

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ride what you feel comfortable with, its always the best choice. I find the XM super easy to ride and turn. I did come off an XP so I cant comment on a pro, except the few times I have rode one I found them tippy and underpowered.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your coming off two sleds that have totally different steering components and geometry. Honestly the xm will likely feel weird for you for some time. It's that different. There is no more effort required to complete any of the maneuvers you just have to be positioned correctly and using the right methods. Same as cat and Polaris just different.Once you are used to it you will never go back to a flat steering design that works against you. But if that's the system your used to it may take you an entire season to get familiar with an XM. and with that said you may be better off checking a machine that's more in your comfort zone. Won't be getting a 174 3" though. If your in the Valemount area track me down we can go for a ride and I will show you what I mean. But likewise for me hoping on a pro or a cat I feel and look like it's my first time sledding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best Sled is still the one you ride regularly.

I'm currently on a '13XM and very happy. Spent some time on the weekend on a '12 RMK pro, a 2013 M8, a 2011 M8, and also another '13 XM 154. Setup on the other '13 XM was terrible for me and I was reminded how much a different setup can throw you off. All the other sleds were a lot more work to ride and ergonomics felt very odd compared to what I'm used to.

Ride what you're comfortable on - they're all fantastic or junk depending on the day.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
interesting to hear opinions from others that have tried all three, keep em coming.

I personally liked the pro rmk and proclimb more due the the similarity to my thirsty thousand. Sure like to try that 174" before shelling out 16k to find out I might not like it. Iam not 100% brand loyal to anything but that 14 proclimb seems to bridge the gap between the handling of the pro rmk and the power of the xm in my opinion. Love the pro rmk but the weak a-arms and motor issues scare the sh*t out of me.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trust me every make, model and year of sled has it's own characteristics. and that doesn't even factor in personally set up of a individual's sled. That being said, I'm finding it weird coming off a '02 800 Rmk 151" to a '14 XM 154" with the beginner dess key!!

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried a couple XM's and Cat this year and my personal sled is a Pro Rmk 163. I found the Cats rode Somewhat similar to the Pro but the XM was a totally different Creature. Like Maxwell said I believe once you got used to it you would be fine but for me I will stick to what I know and not spend a season getting used to a different sled.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine gives me a big ol ear to ear grin every time I ride it!

I understand where you are coming from with how it feels different, I feel the same thing hopping on a sled with vertical steering but adjust mostly within about 15min. I am surprised by your opinion on the counter-steering since I have found the M chassis to require full lock or nearly full lock counter steering to get on edge and sidehill effectively.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ridden the RMK and new Cat as well as my XM. I find the RMK to be between the Cat and Doo, and the Cat to feel a lot different than the Doo. The Cat for me was easy to pull over, but the balance point was a bit tough to find in my limited ride on it. All this really proves is I was most comfortable and used to the Doo handling. I could ride any of those three and get comfortable on them after a few rides. It would just take a bit of time to get each setup and figure them out. I honestly think a guy couldn't go wrong with any of the new machines. I've noticed that lately dealer support seems to play a bigger part in satisfaction than anything.

geo

Reaction score
I wonder if you put a Pro on top of a Pro Climb on top of a XM if the end result would be a neutral sled that everyone could ride first time on it.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to ride a buddies 14 XM 163 this last weekend in sicamous and i think i will be selling my cat and going back to a Doo. I instantly felt comfortable and could whip that sled anywhere i wanted it to go. We rode some of the most technical tight trees i have ever rode and i was wore out before my buddies on there XM's. I would also find a tight steep pull and had to work my cat to go over, then hopped on the XM and flew up it. I like my cat it has great power and it handles great but to me, the xm is a better, smoother sled. I haven't tried a 14 cat yet and maybe that will change my mind to stick with cat but i doubt it. this was also the first time i got to try my sled with the 2014 clutch and gearing update which made a huge huge improvement.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode cats all my life. Then wore out 3 boosted nytros. Now I ride a Doo cause the chassis and steering is a lot like the nytro and the cats feel weird. Super weird. Insane cause when I rode cats and tried friends doo's they felt terrible. It takes time on a new sled. To be fair you need 4 days on a sled to really get used to it. Now I like the forward position of my xm and will never switch Chassis styles as long as Doo keeps there machines reliable

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In and around 08- 09 I rode a 08 dragon 800 loved the way the sled ride and handled. I could jump on the cats and ride them no problem felt a lot like the dragon. My uncle had the xp I would jump on that sled and I hated it it didn't do nothing I wanted. But the I had a lot of issues with the dragon and ended up buying a 09 xp. It took about a day and half but then it just clicked that sled was awesome! Now I can't get used to the cats no matter how long I ride on them they just don't feel right! But the xm took about 15 mins to get used of there's no going back now. But I have never tried a pro out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 2011 M8 and I love it and I got to ride a buddys pro 2012 and I was impressed with how easy it was . I also got to try my other friends 2013 xm and it felt like **** for the first little while but got better with more time in the saddle. So what I did is rent a 2014 xm 163' for the day and at the beginning it was tough but as the day went on I felt a lot better and it was very easy to pull over. The only thing I found was if u hit a old track it jumps around real fast and if your not ready for it your in deep **** fast. The friend of mine said the easiest way to ride the xm is ride it lazy and that seemed to work real well were as with my cat u had to be on the throttle a lot more than with the xm. I wil be snowchek a new 2015 xm real soon so the best thing to do is put some time in the saddle before u decide.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent weekend in renshaw tried couple buddies sleds for comparison and found the 13xm 800 154" side hilled and turned worse than my 09 m1000 162.Found it funny that the guy coming off the pro rmk had the exact same opinion. Tried a 13 pro rmk 800 163 and a 14 proclimb 800 162 were way easier to side hill and initiate an up hill turn with.

To me and a guy coming off a the pro we both found the xm to need massive amounts of counter steering and pulling over to get it to stick on a side hill. Funny how similar the 14 proclimb was to the pro rmk, felt heavier by a bit and the ski's suck but that 800 cat motor sure has jam.

Anyone else found similar? was going to snow check an 15 summit 174" but just cant seem to get over the strange handling of the xm after trying it on multiple occasions.

Thoughts?

One thing I know for sure is Ski-Doo has built some good sleds but who in their right mind would think theyve been building them year after year after year?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I went from an XP to a Pro. It took some getting used to but I will not go back to a Doo until the Rev XP chassis is long gone. The XM just band aid fixed some of the chassis problems. It is ok in deeper snow but in anything less than ideal conditions it is good for straight up climbs or keeping both skis on the ground. It is very "wobbly" and unpredictable when trying to hold a sidehill on harder snow especially when there is previous tracks to deal with.

Now with that being said the Pro is not for everybody. It likes to be rode on one ski, it does not turn like a XM with both skis on the snow. It all depends on your riding style. The Pro is the sled for me. I would even take a 2011 M8 over a Doo if those were my options.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get to ride all of the big 3 and a hand full of Yamaha's, and I would be happy on any one of them. I really think people should spend more time worrying about whether their dealer takes care of them and sets up a sled well.

I have to ride clients sleds often and they want to try mine for a bit, because of this I get seat time on everything and truly they are all awesome sleds now.

make a DEALER earn your support.

Last edited:

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get to ride all of the big 3 and a hand full of Yamaha's, and I would be happy on any one of them. I really think people should spend more time worrying about whether their dealer takes care of them and sets up a sled well.

I have to ride clients sleds often and they want to try mine for a bit, because of this I get seat time on everything and truly they are all awesome sled now.

make a DEALER earn you support.

I agree with this. Anything you get used to, you will like.

Last winter, before I ordered my 14 m8, I rode them all. All had their good points. Bought the cat die to good dealer support combined with weight (I'm stuck A LOT) and price.

It doesn't matter WHAT you ride. It matters THAT you ride in my books

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trust me every make, model and year of sled has it's own characteristics. and that doesn't even factor in personally set up of a individual's sled. That being said, I'm finding it weird coming off a '02 800 Rmk 151" to a '14 XM 154" with the beginner dess key!!
ya know we can de tune that thing until your ready to take off your water wings if the waters to deep for ya would be glad to discuss over a whiskey or 2 lol

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that these days dealer support is probably more important than which sled you ride.In kelowna the brp dealer does not care when you walk thru the door,your on your own.Cat dealer is getting better but they have only been into sledd for about 4-5 yrs and still learning. Polaris dealer is top notch maybe not the best pricing but they all ride and they take care of you.My machines are usually ready same day or next.

Top Bottom