Coquihalla highway

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So on Friday Feb 20 hubby and I are driving a mustang from Vancouver back home to Edmonton. What is this highway like at the moment. I have been watching the future forecast for Chilliwack, Hope and Kamloops and it is looking good, rain but about plus 10 for friday and saturday. Car has new all seasons ( we just bought it) and everyone knows it is real wheel drive so we want to stay out of the bad stuff. Neither one of us have ever been on these highways. Was wondering if taking the old highway 5A would be better than the Coq?

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run the old hwy most likely a better chance of staying out of the heavy unpredictable snow storms that can hit at the high elevations of the Coq but is a very cool drive if you don't hit the weather. Saying that the old hwy will be much slower if the weather is good as you can rock it hard on the Coq. So I would say keep a close eye on the weather and pick your poison when the time comes. It's 350km to Kamloops from Vancouver. And on the Coq in good conditions it flies by.
From Kamloops to Edmonton can be very nasty also. And as far as that goes i'd stay away from Rogers Pass. hwy 1. High elevations and more unpredictable weather. Stay the way on hwy 5 through Blue River then to Jasper. Can be nasty weather conditions through there also but less likely as it doesn't have the elevation of hwy 1. Good luck and drive safe!!

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter tires are required for The Coq and Rogers Pass. If the tires don't have the snowflake on them don't do it. There has been far too many fatalities on both these mountain passes.Winter conditions can change rapidly.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use M+S or snowflake. If you know how to drive, all seasons work well.

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All seasons will work but you'll need to have M+S or the snowflake on your tires to be legal as far as I'm aware.

Sent from my iPhone

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All seasons don't work well on ice and snow. You wanna be wanna those tards doing 60 km holding up people who have snow tires. Plus it's the law till April

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All seasons don't work well on ice and snow. You wanna be wanna those tards doing 60 km holding up people who have snow tires. Plus it's the law till April

The law is m+s or snowflake approved. Which is what he said. I agree winters are definitely better, but plenty of all seasons have a legal rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adrift

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chances are if you are asking then you may already be questioning doing this drive with those tires. If you bought this car from a dealer then you could ask them to put good winter tires on it and if not then the money spent on winter tires will be well worth your peace of mind. If you do not need them anymore once you get to Edmonton then maybe you could sell them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can those that are interested get life insurance on you before you go, I'm thinking it will be a sure bet, better than any lottery out there. could be a good payday!!! say high to Jamie davis jr. when ya see him.:beer:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I drove for 30 years on all seasons between northern and southern BC during all weather conditions and never once had an issue.
If you know how to drive all seasons are fine. Most all seasons are M+S.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove for 30 years on all seasons between northern and southern BC during all weather conditions and never once had an issue.
If you know how to drive all seasons are fine. Most all seasons are M+S.

maybe you just got lucky? i 'm thinking she should buy better tires or have the car shipped. As previously mentioned, if she is askin, she already knows the answer.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By law you must have the proper rated tires to travel the Coq, not just any all season. The concequences can be severe ranging from a simple ticket, getting turned back by RCMP or if in an incident having your insurance voiced and getting your a$$ sued off if it can be proven that proper tires may have helped avoid the incident.

Telling someone that "all seasons work well" is pretty poor advice.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By law you must have the proper rated tires to travel the Coq, not just any all season. The concequences can be severe ranging from a simple ticket, getting turned back by RCMP or if in an incident having your insurance voiced and getting your a$$ sued off if it can be proven that proper tires may have helped avoid the incident.

Telling someone that "all seasons work well" is pretty poor advice.
I 100% agree, her life and those she holds dear could be on the line for a couple dollars. put it in storage and pick it up in the summer.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most all seasons are M+S.
B.S. on that quote. Just for an example I checked out Goodyears website, they had 41 tires with the allseason rating stamp on then, of those 41 only TWO also had the proper winter tire use emblem.

I travel the same roads you claim to have 30 years incident free, over 2,000,000 km's under my belt, and I have come across far to may accidents where people who were "just fine" with their allseason tires that were sitting on their lids in the ditch. Very poor advice on your part. As somebody who is on these roads all day every day I want the other vehicle to be as prepared as possible. I am tired of having to miss them or worse yet come across the scene of yet another accident.

Top Bottom