cooling and braces

ratatatat

Reaction score
Looking for a little assistance. - 2013 800 xm

Cooling - I have the temp gage. Runs just past half and with any work will show all bars. Always do something to improve cooling when this happens and have not got a light or overheat shut down yet. Appears not to cool as well as I had hoped or reported by others. When searching for info it appears a cooler thermostat could be used. Has the stock one in there. Should I do this or is the gage unusually sensitive or can it be calibrated to better reflect the actual temp? It does not smell or appear hot when the gage shows all bars.

Braces - From reading threads looks like grip and rip braces are a good idea. I cannot find a description on them. It appears there are three. What does each one do and do I need all three?

Thanks if you can find a few minutes to share your experience

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rarely seen all bars. It starts adding fuel after 4 bars. I assume this is on marginal snow and no scratchers? In anything more than a few inches of fresh it should stay at 3-4 unless riding slow. By your description I almost question the accuracy of your gauge. I believe mine started shutting down when it hit all bars.
I personally don't like braces, but many guys do....they add strength but transfer the force farther back on the chassis. I prefer to replace parts closer to the front. If you hit a lot of things they are probably a good idea. They have lower a arm mount braces that go over the cast piece on the bottom and bulkhead reinforcements that go in front of the engine by the shock towers. They weigh about 4 lbs....for the weight nazi's.

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Got the same sled and mine runs from 4 bars and up. I do run scratchers on hard pack and haven't had a problem. I just put grip and rip braces on mine as well. Not much point only putting one on. One is upper a arm one lower a arm and the other is for the s module. They take a couple hours to put on but I would rather replace a arm after a rock then a s module. This is the idea behind them. I'm glad I put them on.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure your snow flap is down. If its popped up it gets hot fast. Mine 13 xm runs 4 bars all the time unless things are really packed hard (no scratchers)

Braces saved my sled today. Hit a big frozen lump. Bent an a arm but no chassis damage. Problem with skidoo is the a arms are stronger than the modules they are attached to.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strange. Mine runs 4 bars all the time with no scratchers down and no snow flap. I use the scratchers when the trail is really hard pack or icy. Or when moving slow uphill through the bumps then the temp will creep up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit a tree that was downed and would have been blocking the trail. only the middle was trimmed away to fit a quad I assume. i was on a fire road In Revy today Doing around 30 mph. I went flying and landed on my back. Of course there was 5' of a snow. Just enough to cover it. Thought for sure it was helicopter time. Just a slight bend in my tie rod shaft. The s module can't be that weak.

ratatatat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I ordered the bottom two grip and rip braces today. Sounds like a good idea.

Still cannot figure the temp issue. No hard pack riding, good cooling conditions. I have scratchers but really no need to have them down in the conditions I've been riding. Get all bars or close to it with most climbs. Wish it was a good old gage with temps on it so I could discuss actual temps. Don't get a light with all bars. If I read the manual correct I should get a light if it is hot and a shut down if it is too hot. Haven't got either yet.

Anyone running a cooler thermostat?

Interesting if it starts adding fuel after 4 bars. My fuel economy is not as good as I expected. Could be why. Perhaps it's a sensor issue. Anyone hear of any bad temp sensors?

Last edited:
Top Bottom