coolant in the pipe?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok got a new trailer and thought Id see how the sleds fit. I started my 08 800r from its summer sleep and a little antifreeze came out the can? I'm thinking head gasket? Seems to run fine it warmed up and compression is good. Does antifreeze rust rings? Do I need to do the top end? I guess the biggest question is will it rust everything crank, rings, etc etc? Not the surprise I was hoping for:(

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the head gasket. Antifreeze shouldn't rust the the rings it has anti corrosion stuff for when it's in steel blocks and stuff. I would pull it apart and take a look it's easy to do now and no lost time of riding.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the head gasket. Antifreeze shouldn't rust the the rings it has anti corrosion stuff for when it's in steel blocks and stuff. I would pull it apart and take a look it's easy to do now and no lost time of riding.

Thats what I was hoping (no rust) and I got no problem pulling head for a peak, kind of toying with the top end anyway its this year or next for the top end. It wasnt a lot, it started third pull (normal after sitting for mine) just never seen green come out the can before:eek:

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its the head gasket it should be smoking white like crazy. If its not smoking white its probably not the head gasket leaking into the cylinders

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It smoked like crazy till it cleared up. Thats when I noticed the small green puddle:(. I'm going to pull the head first and see if I can see anything? If I can't find anything there I guess I'll pull it. I need a reason to do the top end I guess I might have found it.

Justin

Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to retire the old girl...
Maybe upgrade to a popo xlt.
Just saying.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it smoked like crazy then cleared up it makes me raise an eye brow.

If it was a bad gasket it shouldn't have stopped smoking (and leaking into the cylinders), it would just keep leaking into the motor as its running. Maybe fire it up and see how it does, keep checking the cooler and the cylinders to see if they are getting warm/only the cylinders are getting warm not the cooler. Might be a water pump problem and its no longer circulating coolant through it if it suddenly stopped smoking. The cylinders would get hot but with no coolant being circulated through the block the cooler would stay cold. This could be a combo problem of a leaky gasket and a non working water pump if it stopped smoking white

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KISS ...................... check head gasket before you go on any suggested water pump venture.

ya i put it away I thought it was good, it sat from April till the end of Aug . When I started it to move it thats when the smoke and Green puddle appeared? I thought because the antifreeze came out green (un burnt) it most likely was from the top end? Its not like there was a gallon on the ground I'd say about 20ml, enough I could tell it was green and enough I think I have to do something about it lol.

Think I'm gonna pull the motor anyway its time for the pistons anyway I'm pushing 3k. I will report back on the findings. I started this because I was worried about the bottem end and any bad effects from antifreeze being there?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to retire the old girl...
Maybe upgrade to a popo xlt.
Just saying.

I've been looking at Yami's this one looks light lmao You'll help pull it out when I'm stuck right buddy?

Attachments

• YAMI.jpg
    YAMI.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i found the problem O-ring has a big crack. O well i needed a reason to put new pistons in! Sure is nice working on it when its +20ish:beer:

Sorry for the crackberry pic

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 75

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen three base gaskets do that. Glad to see you found an o'ring instead.

Didn't matter much it got a new base gasket too LOL
She had 3000km so I put new pistons in it.
Should be good for another year or two? We'll see if these XM's are all that?

Top Bottom