Coolant in the crankcase?

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Is it common to have the base gaskets leak in the case?
I have a leak but there is no coolant visable, in the belly, on the plugs but it seems to be going somewhere, there is no drips on the snow.

02 RMK 800

Thanks

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recall that the Liberty engine that the head bolts would relax and need to be retorqued after a few years . My buddies 700 would leak occasionally especially when the sled was not used for awhile and in the extreme cold. conditions I would check the heat exchangers ( and the rubber hose connections) as well and the head gasket.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, that I filled the res this morning, came home from work and it was completely empty.

If there was something wrong with the exchangers and hoses leaking, I would see some drips in the snow. wouldnt I???

The engine has all the air removed from the system, I know that is not a problem

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, that I filled the res this morning, came home from work and it was completely empty......

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If there are no drips in the snow, on the ground or in the engine bay, then it can only be surmised that the coolant went into the motor. Pull the plugs and pull the motor over. If two geysers shoot out the plug holes, you have a leaky gasket somewhere in the motor. If nothing there, it had to go on the ground somewhere.

A whole reservoir!! you will know if that leaked into your motor.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If there are no drips in the snow, on the ground or in the engine bay, then it can only be surmised that the coolant went into the motor. Pull the plugs and pull the motor over. If two geysers shoot out the plug holes, you have a leaky gasket somewhere in the motor. If nothing there, it had to go on the ground somewhere.

A whole reservoir!! you will know if that leaked into your motor.

I forgot to mention, the res is being emptied just sitting there!!!! I still cant even see anything in the belly, or on the snow. I pulled the head off to check the condition of the pistons and there is no sign of coolant going into the cylinders! Im completely blown away. Think I want a dragon :) wife will be pissed but its easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, the res is being emptied just sitting there!!!! I still cant even see anything in the belly, or on the snow. I pulled the head off to check the condition of the pistons and there is no sign of coolant going into the cylinders! Im completely blown away. Think I want a dragon :) wife will be pissed but its easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission

I figured that it was sitting there and being emptied without running. Coolant not going into the cylinders only means that the head gasket isn't leaking. The water pump gasket could be leaking, the base gaskets could be leaking, etc. If there is no coolant in the crankcase itself then that would rule out those. After that, if it isn't going into the motor it has to be going outside of it. The cooling system is pretty simple, has to be going somewhere.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

beg for forgivness that is always the best plan........it has worked in the past as most of us know

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your losing that much coolant - it should be easy to smell antifreeze if the coolant is making it out externally .

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the wife doesn't want you to go riding so she is emptying it while you are at work...lol:d:d

stlhdr

Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same thing. Refilling res probably 3-4 times first I thot coolant was being belched out the cap.. (But would never find coolant on the snow) Then I notice I could smell coollant at startup. I never saw coolant on ground. or in the tub.

I had taken pipe and Y pipe off to put a new Elect. starter on and notice coolant was in the pipe.. I have been told that if the Mechanical water pump seal fails this will allow coolant in the jug on the recoil side. I notice when I was pulling Flywheel cover off stator, I rotated crank just a bit and the Jug on recoil side spit some coolant. I do not have back together as of yet but shuld be back by this weekend..

If you are running hard... coolant is burned or evaporated in pipe/engine thus this mite explain why no coolant is ever on the snow. I would be curious as to what solved your problem.. I am trying this.. I will post if it works..

stlhdr 02 800 151

Top Bottom