cooking a moose roast

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey All,

I got a Moose Roast from our good friend TKO Sled Ed. I want to cook it in the slow cooker but am not sure how!

Looking for your suggestions!

TG

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I got a Moose Roast from our good friend TKO Sled Ed. I want to cook it in the slow cooker but am not sure how!

Looking for your suggestions!

TG

well you put it in with your spices and set it and forget it for awhile and some water

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Seriously.....

Put about a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pot, spice it up how you like, I usually slice slits into my roast about 3" deep and stick onion slices down into the slits, garlic, pepper, ect..... turn it on low and let her roast....:d

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cook moose roasts the same way as Bogger but instead of water use a bottle of zesty italian dressing. The dressing acts like a marinated to tenderize the meat and adds a good flavor. MMMM now I'm hungry for roast damnit. What time is supper TG? Roast sounds better than pork chops.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I cook moose roasts the same way as Bogger but instead of water use a bottle of zesty italian dressing. The dressing acts like a marinated to tenderize the meat and adds a good flavor. MMMM now I'm hungry for roast damnit. What time is supper TG? Roast sounds better than pork chops.

won't be for a couple days lol...

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like Crazy Wheeler says Italian Dressing works good. Onion soup mix and cut Onions and Garlic. Bone in or no Bone? Bones add the Wild Flavor some peeps dont like. Boneless is better but flavor is your friend. Low and slow TG

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Like Crazy Wheeler says Italian Dressing works good. Onion soup mix and cut Onions and Garlic. Bone in or no Bone? Bones add the Wild Flavor some peeps dont like. Boneless is better but flavor is your friend. Low and slow TG

pretty sure its boneless.... I'll try the italian dressing way..... I cook lots of stuff in that!

Thanks Gents!

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Obtain Moose roast.
Step 2: Season Moose roast with garlic, salt, pepper etc.
Step 3: Place Moose roast inside of oven bag.
Step 4: Place oven bag inside of Muff Pot.(May require more than 1 Muff Pot, this is where friends with similar hobbies come in handy.)
Step 5: Go for a good long ride, make sure to pull some long hills to get the temps up to a good cooking level.
Step 6: Stop sled, light fire, obtain the liquid refreshment of your choice.
Step 7: Cut Moose roast into slices and place on large bun with a slice of purple onion and mayo, mustard, horse radish or the condiment of your choice.
Step 8: Share with above mentioned friends. (This is where haveing friends with similar hobbies is not so handy.)

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sure its boneless.... I'll try the italian dressing way..... I cook lots of stuff in that!

Thanks Gents!
All good suggestions but if you have a crock pot use that instead of the oven, with a little spices. By far superior than using the oven.. All my roasts are done in a crock pot.

HARDCORE

Reaction score
6hrs or so on low with any evry spice, vegies etc man and it'll melt in your mouth haha

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember to put hard veggies, such as carrots , potatoes , celery in first. onions in the middle cause they cook fast .sprinkle a bag of onion soup mix on the veggies , set the roast on top . add 2 large cans of stewed tomatoes. also if you have any room left , put a small bag of radishes around the roast (unpeeled)so you can tell the diff between them and the taters . but cut in half . these will add a ton of flavor. when the radishes become semi transparent , every thing else will be done ....... on low 6+7 hours . bon appetite

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmoose! Soory couldn't help it...some great recipes here that one will have to try...just need Moose now! LOL

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stab the roast and insert garlic slivers in the holes then add a lot of pepper to the top of the roast put on sliced onions on top and add butter or oilve oil just a tbls of it or so add a cup or two of beef consume or water with beef cubes I like to put in carrots as well when it is done the stock makes excellent gravy

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing i have done with deer roasts is wrap them in bacon. sweet and super tender.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck with that slow cooker i must do some thing wrong it always alittle tuff, and i used water. i had better luck cooking it slow in roasting pan coverd then when it is about half cooked take it out cut it up in thin slices and put it back in but cover it with your favorite bbq sauce, the viniger in the sauce will tenderize it, let use know how you cooked it and how it came out thanks. I shot one moose and a elk this year need some help with recipes. cheers

Top Bottom