Considering a RZR. Got a couple questions.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the RZR 900 XP worthless in the trails? (i.e simply to wide)

would i be better with a RZR S?

i want to be doing some mudding, goto Brule sand dunes, and just driving around aimlessly around my friends acreages.

i want the power of the 900, but the stance may be a bit much.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what trails you run but it is wide at 64". I think the S is 60". They are fun for sure. I have a commander it's 58" and gobs of power. Best of both worlds.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy has the RZR 900, it went everywhere the quads were going last summer. we went from beaverdam road near Grande Cache all the way to the Kakwa River in some pretty tight trails and there wasn't a spot that he had any trouble. and they haul ass

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. how do you haul them? ive seen people using sled decks and trailers. i know the RZR 900 xp will not fit in the bed of a pickup. is the RZR S also to wide for a pick up bed?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. how do you haul them? ive seen people using sled decks and trailers. i know the RZR 900 xp will not fit in the bed of a pickup. is the RZR S also to wide for a pick up bed?

Hi!
Yup the RZR S is too wide for a pick up truck. The RZR 800 efi is the one you'd want for all around fun, lots of power that will still fit in your truck box. Many will put the S and the RZR 900 on a trailer. Some choose to put their 900 on a deck on their truck box. The biggest pluses of the RZR 800 is that it has lots of jam, excellent agility, tonnes of traction, Awesome center of gravity, it's narrow enough to fit on ATV trails, and it will fit in the box of your truck.

Cheers! :)

Momma

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my 900 xp in early spring. Put on over 600 miles riding with people on quads mostly. There was only 2 times I had to get the chain saw out to keep going. My wife says this machine (with being much wider than the Rhino was) is the safest quad she has ever been on. Personally I wouldn't trade it for a narrower machine at all. It is very stable, runs mud holes, climbs hills and easily keeps up with the quads on the trails. I love my xp 900 :) and yes you have to trailer it.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beside buying a rzr 4 seater what is a good option?? one kid can ride their own quad, the little one is 4. would like to keep him under the rollbar not just a seat bungee tied down!!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crank the spring preload on the shocks up and the xp900 is only 61" wide. I finally caved and bought a xp. It's a sick and awesome toy. Unreal suspension. I raced 3 renegade 800 quads with various sizes of tires/pipes and mods. 2 passengers and only lost by one length to 75 mph Had a rzr 800s. Was a bucket of loose bolts and underpowered. Nothing like passing cars In the ditch with the 900.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL................ You can crank the preload all you want ,however as the trailing arm rotates thru it`s axis and the suspension compresses, the width will be 64 ". . So unless , you bolt the suspension at maximum height you WILL be 64 inch's wide.Dragonfire racing does make a kit to narrow the 900xp to 58 inch's,but it is pricey !!!

The best TRAIL machine of the three is the RZR S . The XP is a little wide the reg rzr is a little narrow without enough wheel travel/suspension. As far as power the rzr S has more than enough,but when compared to the 900xp or 1000 commander it falls short no dought. The 900 is a a great machine HOWEVER if you love tight treed ed trails the S might be better. In the open spaces ,the 900 is tough to beat. Also the rzr S is a little better protected under the rear suspension than the 900 xp.
It depends on where you ride,and the type of rider you are when it comes to choosing the right rzr for yourself.....
As far as "a bucket of bolts" When you don`t maintain them ,they all seem to get that way......lol lol .They come from the same factory,and have the same quality control. They share MUCH of the same component's so i would dought the RZR S is a" bucket of bolts" and the xp is not...................

Last edited:

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to add...a RZR S WILL fit in the box of a full size. My buddy hauls his around in an F-350 no trouble. I saw a couple of 900s on the Sundre poker rally this year. I was laughing at first because I didn't think there was any way they were going to fit on the trails but somehow they made it. I wouldn't count one out for trail riding any more. I was thinking of going to a commander but they are damn heavy, 400 pounds heavier than a rzr and 200 more than a rhino, could be a recipe for a bad day when you hit the skeg. I think I'll keep my rhino until Can-Am comes out with a more sport oriented unit.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I go between trees there's no worry about compressing the suspension to 64" wide with the preload cranked. As far as bucket of bolts. The front ends are sloppy and weak on the 800. Super tight and solid on The 900. The best advise for a new rzr owner is extended warranty. The are like a high end Chinese quad compared to a Japanese quad. I had a kawi terex for 4000 km and no issues other than a real oil seal. The rzr Transmissions/motors and most moving parts wear before scheduled maintenance intervals. As far as my input I am not blind loyal to any brand and I put more km on my 900 xp over christmas holidays then rzrgade puts on all yr.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right,you put more miles on than me. That being said,none of mine have ever blown a motor on trail because of NO/OIL & Mud in the throttle body....................I do take time out to maintain my machines, i admit .
Trashin and tradin have little to do with machine reliability long term ...................lol

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She did blow by the Teryx on more than one occasion that i can recall..........................Must of been why he bought a RZR....LOL

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boydo, I have the rzr 800, put a Vent racing cage extension and seat on it and four point harnesses. I ordered right fro Vent and saved a ton of money on it. My little guys are four and two and I now have just about 700 km on it, over 600 over which are with the whole family on board. Don't regret it for a minute although I will be investing in some highlifter springs very soon as the stockers just are not up to the extra weight. If you search I have some pics on here somewhere of the set-up. If you want more let me know and I can email you some.

hihi962

Reaction score
Just to add to this thread...

our family is considering a group buy of several rzr 800's and perhaps 1 or 2 rzr s's or 900 xp's.. just doing some quick fingering, but when we look at 'em lined up out at Elk Island sales, the XP's look massive, but they are only 3.5 inch wider then the 800 s's.. is this really gonna make that big of a deal down the trails? ... we've only ever used quads, so sxs's are foreign to us. I figure by now a lot of trails are getting some gerth due to sxs popularity, so i am considering a 900xp. but it's not like I stop to measure trees as I ride by.

The 800 s's sound to do alright, but the 900's sure do have good spec's on paper! but why the heck are the tires smaller on a 900xp then on the 800s? we are planning on doing similar riding as hamster stated but with a bit more trail. we don't really wanna buy the wrong units for our application but it's hard to compare to quad riding as they are narrow, high clearance, and high hp.
i guess more people with 900 xp trail experience feel free to chime in!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Just to add to this thread...

You have pretty well answered your own questions............Both are great machines,one is slightly more trail friendly the other is more performance oriented. Both will "cross over and do the other job almost as well "..................

hihi962

Reaction score

yea, but was mainly curious if the width of the machine was actually a big issue or just a bunch of hype poo put out because they have a machine 50 inch wide.. one guy posted here earlier that he gets nearly everywhere the quads do with his 900 xp, hopefully others can support that too.

and any idea what they went with a smaller tire? i can't imagine theres any benefit to it?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It`s a CHEAPER tire, that 900 will burn them off in no time anyhow.............If your comparing the 50inch to the 900 yes it`s a big issue,not so much to the 60 inch S . Though the S is a little better protected underneath than the 900 XP. Depends ALOT where you plan to ride...............

..Stiffler..

Reaction score

If you want to ride with a son or daughter just do what i did. My 4 yr old loves it. PRP 50/50 Bench Seat FTW
23mw08.jpg

Top Bottom