Condition report??? Fernie

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
im not sure exactly but its the first right off the trail going up to the cabin. then we followed that and then dropped down a steepish hill into an area where we stayed all day.No one else came in there. you could see some old tracks but all were covered over. the second day we went into an area by the rolling hills accessed by the first left on the trail. we did not take the power line in thou not really sure but today did not last long as i broke the sled on the first pull. my pictures don't seem to be working ill post later might have to resize them ATC_0005.jpg ATC_0015.jpg

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was that bad and besides you didn't have to buy a trail pass.....we'll be working on it to keep you guys happy

Kinda tragic the holiday and no grooming would have rather paid fees than rode that trail one more time and ya it was that bad beat to chit the whole way in.. Guess theres a new club in town wonder if that will make a diffrence.

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
i had to ride it sitting down due to the broken handle bars. it was very bad the second day i rode.i bet they lost a ton of money by not grooming it during the holiday.

Solar6402

Reaction score
We rode coal creek yesterday and while the trail in is rough (poor grooming conditions), there is some good riding to be had. the snow was deep and really good in places. We hooked up with a couple of regulars that showed us some secret stashes and were all alone, ended up being a long day (TANK of fuel) but well worth the efforts, great views, great riding and thank you Chad! Feel free to come down to Kalispell and we will show you a great time in Montana...Rich, Robbi & Dan
We are getting snow now, thank god!!​

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Maybe concentrating our efforts on the "family friendly trail" through the Rolling Hills wasn't the best decision but it had to be done. The grooming suffered. The groom yesterday was good if you were right behind the groomer but with a day groom and 100 sleds it didn't last. Got the stakes and signs up to the Wrangler's and the groom out should have had time to freeze and set up so some of the early riders this morning will be thankful.

We are working on it and it would be nice to groom tonight but we broke a blade on the mogul master last night and that is in for repair. Chit happens and we try to deal with it as best we can.

As far as another club, I have no comment at this time.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no need to second guess decision's. snow is needed, if sledders would quit the on/off the gas ya wouldn't need to groom so much, anyway let it snow.

Solar6402

Reaction score
FS, thank you for your efforts....they are appreciated by us out a towners...even when chit happens and its not perfect....still a place to park, ride and enjoy the beauty of the BC.
Have a great new years!!!! Rich

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe concentrating our efforts on the "family friendly trail" through the Rolling Hills wasn't the best decision but it had to be done. The grooming suffered. The groom yesterday was good if you were right behind the groomer but with a day groom and 100 sleds it didn't last. Got the stakes and signs up to the Wrangler's and the groom out should have had time to freeze and set up so some of the early riders this morning will be thankful.

We are working on it and it would be nice to groom tonight but we broke a blade on the mogul master last night and that is in for repair. Chit happens and we try to deal with it as best we can.

As far as another club, I have no comment at this time.

Found out about the new club from locals at Wranglers cabin on the 28th. Doesn't sound good seems to be a bunch of in fighting, Really to bad cause its a great area and close for a bunch of us. Hope it all works out for the best in the end.

schiermnultra

Reaction score
Rode the rolling hills yesterday and spent a good part of the day just getting to the cabin. The snow in the trees was awesome. Had a blast for sure. The new trail is great as far as I'm concerned. We had a new rider with us and we could still ride the trees and the new guy could stay pretty close to the trail. The trails are always gonna be rough at times so then just ride the trees. Good job ferniesnow and crew!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A double groom on the Coal Creek trail Monday night and it snowed all the way to town from the Summit. Should be awesome for the early risers tomorrow. We will get that trail in shape as we will doo another groom on Wed. and Friday. Could even be like old times and be "baby butt smooth".......

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A double groom on the Coal Creek trail Monday night and it snowed all the way to town from the Summit. Should be awesome for the early risers tomorrow. We will get that trail in shape as we will doo another groom on Wed. and Friday. Could even be like old times and be "baby butt smooth".......

How is the snow up top?? Getting deeper?? More yellow spots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geash, I rode the new trail in the day they were still cutting down stumps and limbing the thick stuff out and I thought it was awesome!

No more trying to find the goat trail after a big dump of fresh snow! Complain, Complain, Complain...no one is ever happy, yet you get to enjoy the nice stagging area, ride a groomed trail with what fresh snow there is and its always the clubs/society fault that the snow gods didn't participate. Sometimes people should just stay home when they know going out there that there hasn't been a lot of fresh stuff.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Last night, while grooming, I was thinking about the conditions of the trail; solid ice to begin with, then wet snow on top of the ice which reminded me of a slurppee, then hard crusty snow that comes out of the mogul master in chunks, and finally at the top, nice moist powder that makes a groomer proud.

We better get some snow soon or we will be riding in the dirt. La Nina and a cold winter my arse!

The trail held up great from the groom on Monday. There were the traditional corners that were pounded but overall it was still in fine shape. Last nights groom will hold for another groom on Friday and the temps are supposed to start to drop. We may get some frost into the trail yet.

There was 4" or 10 cm of fresh at the Coal Summit.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
the trail is BAD!!!! Not good for those people who traveled from all over western canada to ride fernie. I sure they will not be coming back. Ridiculously!!!

I hope that these people dont come back. More for the rest of us. Fernie is an awsome area groomed or ungroomed. Thank you to all the people involved in that area and all the hard work to ensure a safe and easy access for all to enjoy.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
are there other areas around fernie other then going up the coal creek area?

You can stage at Hartley Pass north of the highway, LodgePole for Harvey (south), and McDermit for the Little Sand area (west). Then you can venture a little further and get into the Sparwood/Elkford area anywhere from 20-70 km. Depends what you want.

Top Bottom