Condition report??? Fernie

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
thinking of coming up to fernie tomorrow morning and was just wondering how the snow is? Has the trail been groomed. also has anyone been into sparwood yet this season, we usually stage just before the green bridge by that gun range.an update would be great for that area as it is a little closer to us.

Thanks guys.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thinking of coming up to fernie tomorrow morning and was just wondering how the snow is? Has the trail been groomed. also has anyone been into sparwood yet this season, we usually stage just before the green bridge by that gun range.an update would be great for that area as it is a little closer to us.

Thanks guys.

Last groom was on the 22nd. We will be grooming on Thursday of this week. Snow isn't bad and there is some fresh.

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
Trail was fine no complaints found tons of untouched snow but the road is toast now due to rain going to dig further in tomorrow. Awesome day snow is heavy and wet. We got stuck lots

algrande

Reaction score
the trail is BAD!!!! Not good for those people who traveled from all over western canada to ride fernie. I sure they will not be coming back. Ridiculously!!!

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
algrande, little hard to keep a groomed trail when there has been no snow in the valley for almost a month! Fernie has great grooming but due to the lack of snow this year it will be hard for the groomers to keep the trail smooth for you! Just saying.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Friday will be a day groom (not the best time but there are things that are best done in the daylight). We will be putting up new signs on the Rolling Hills corridor and stake
out the dangerous bridges, and stake some of the open areas on the corridor. And there is no doubt, we will have to cut a few trees in the corridor.

We will be back to normal after this is done so you guys can expect Monday and Friday grooms in the evenings. I know it is hard to think about the "big picture" instead of me, me, me....
but bear with us!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Friday will be a day groom (not the best time but there are things that are best done in the daylight). We will be putting up new signs on the Rolling Hills corridor and staking out the dangerous bridges, and staking some of the open areas on the corridor.

And there is no doubt, we will have to cut a few trees in the corridor. We will be back to normal after this is done so you guys can expect Monday and Friday grooms in the evenings. I know it is hard to think about the "big picture" instead of me, me, me....but bear with us, eh!

LeafRider

Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of recent conditions, I'm also looking for some information about the Coal Creek Staging area just south of Fernie, BC and the trail and off trail access in that area. Is the area generally a safe area to be, is there a ton of sled traffic? Also, we're planning on making a long trip out to Fernie on Jan 6-9th. We're looking for any riders who might want 3 intermediates tagging along from the coal creek or Morrissey. How much work is it to get to the Wrangler's Cabin from Coal Creek staging and pass through the "Rolling Hills". Referring to Fernie Snowmobile club's general trail map.

Also wondering if anyone in the Fernie Area has GPS coordinates for the Wrangler's cabin or rolling hills area that reference's decent safe off trail riding.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of recent conditions, I'm also looking for some information about the Coal Creek Staging area just south of Fernie, BC and the trail and off trail access in that area. Is the area generally a safe area to be, is there a ton of sled traffic? Also, we're planning on making a long trip out to Fernie on Jan 6-9th. We're looking for any riders who might want 3 intermediates tagging along from the coal creek or Morrissey. How much work is it to get to the Wrangler's Cabin from Coal Creek staging and pass through the "Rolling Hills". Referring to Fernie Snowmobile club's general trail map.

Also wondering if anyone in the Fernie Area has GPS coordinates for the Wrangler's cabin or rolling hills area that reference's decent safe off trail riding.

The Morrissey staging area is closed. It is a plowed logging road and you don't want to be on it, period. It is very dangerous and there can be huge fines ($300+). All the other info I have PM'd to you.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are conditions guys, is it worth driving down for, be honest, dont want to hit rocks

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to hear, not sure what to do, have the wife and kids as well, were planning to go to whitefish, but snow sucks, harvey said it was snowing up high at ten laskes, but raining in town

man do these conditions suck, heard a few days ago corbin sucked bad, and some rain yesterday at the townsite

was told kinberly and cranbooke got a big dump tho

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
good to hear, not sure what to do, have the wife and kids as well, were planning to go to whitefish, but snow sucks, harvey said it was snowing up high at ten laskes, but raining in town

man do these conditions suck, heard a few days ago corbin sucked bad, and some rain yesterday at the townsite

I Pm'd Doug (Ferniesnow) as he always has great info on the area, and I was concerned about taking the kids, but he has talked me into it. We will ride from Fernie up the new trail to the cabin. The kids love playing up around the cabin. Cook a smokie and come back home...New snow at the ski hill

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Not sure about the "big dump" as Kimberley only got 8cm in the last 24 hr at the ski hill. FAR had double that in the last 24 hr.
It is still early season riding but good early season riding. The new family friendly trail would serve you well in getting to the cabin.
Any riding is better than sitting in front of the TV and wishing for snow......

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
Today sucked snapped my handle bars off at noon, but managed to build and replacement shaft with a tree branch and limped it out. Conditions are awesome tons of snow in the trees worth the trip but it is busy in the popular areas but we found open areas to our selfs both days. I'll upload pics when I get home tonight for conditions and my handle bar fix

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i was talking to my buddy about half hour ago and he said the snow was good in to heartbreak, barns was not so good as heartbreak he said tho the snow at heartbreak was more fluff and barns was a little heavier but other then that he said it was good...

Top Bottom