Concrete lifting

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reputable concrete lifting company in the Edmonton area, my concrete driveway pad has dropped 1 1/2" by the garage slab. Would one go with mud jacking or polyurethane foam? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of rebar in a thick slab and you should be ok otherwise lifting might cause more problems than you have right now. If your driveway has no rebar you could saw a straight line in your driveway just where you think the ground is stable then prep and pour a new slab the last 8 feet or so.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I had a company come in and lift some areas for me. In the end it just made a mess, and finally 2 years later I just busted it out with the excavator, and had it professionally redone. Hindsight I should have just busted it out to begin with is all I'm saying.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We mud jacked our driveway pad outside Edmonton about a yr before we moved. Was pretty happy with the result. Think it was only 500$. Way cheaper than pounding it out. We had to bring one end up about 4 inches. I can't comment on long term durability but was happy with what we got. Sorry can't remember who did the work but it was in leduc area

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm from Camrose and recently moved back. Ive worked for an outfit here for the last 3 summers pumping concrete. Last spring he got into lifting and leveling concrete with polyurethane foam. The same guy owns both outfits. Trademark Pumping, and Trademark lifting & Leveling. I went and helped him on probably a dozen plus jobs in between pumping actual concrete. Expanding foam works amazing for lifting slabs or steps or whatever really. It's just really really expensive. The reason concrete settles and drops is because the ground underneath was either poorly prepped or it eroded away. If you get it mud jacked, several years down the road the mud that was pumped in will erode away as well. Mud jacking requires a 2" hole to pump through and foam jacking uses a 3/4" hole. Foam doesn't deteriorate or erode away at all. It's actually pretty permanent.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proper mud jacking should be done with a cement slurry with only fine sand and no aggregates.
You will need several holes and sleeves to pump properly.
NCA and Union in Edmonton used to rent the hand pumps for about $150 day.
It is super simple to do just read up on it online after you get the model of their pump.

Sika 212 grout works great for this job and even really watered down from recommendation will give you enough strength and never erode away.
Might settle again but never erode.
PM me you phone number if you want the longer explanation.
You must however leave no voids after mud or poly jacking or else your slab will break up under moderate heavy use.
This is not a hard DIY task.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More than happy with the job we had done down in the south. Cement pad is still the same as 7 yrs ago.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proper mud jacking should be done with a cement slurry with only fine sand and no aggregates.
You will need several holes and sleeves to pump properly.
NCA and Union in Edmonton used to rent the hand pumps for about $150 day.
It is super simple to do just read up on it online after you get the model of their pump.

Sika 212 grout works great for this job and even really watered down from recommendation will give you enough strength and never erode away.
Might settle again but never erode.
PM me you phone number if you want the longer explanation.
You must however leave no voids after mud or poly jacking or else your slab will break up under moderate heavy use.
This is not a hard DIY task.

I watched over the city's mudpumping contractors.

To know where to drill the holes, how much to pump in each hole, the sequence to fill the holes, the slump ( thickness ) of the slurry, these and other factors all take time to learn to do a nice job.
If you pump to fast or at the wrong place the slab can lift to high.
Also the slurry can find a path into a lawn, tree, even into the basement and countless other things.
Even amongst the different crew leaders the lifting techniques and out come varied greatly.

I don't think this is something a novice should take on unless it would be a very simple lift.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider with the foam, don't do it if you plan on staying long term, if you decide at some point to take it out you'll be paying a lot extra to get rid of that foam. At a minimum, the extra to scrape it off and haul it to the dump, depending how bad it is possibly paying for all the concrete to go to the dump as no place that crushes will take it.

Top Bottom