compression test

taz3038

Reaction score
i was wondering what the lowest the compression should be on an 04 summit x 600 ho? i heard it can go down as 90 psi? is this true at what point do you get new rings?

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be careful of compression gauges. I have three different ones two are snap-on and they all are different from 90psi to 120psi. I use the same one all the time and record the presure.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what the lowest the compression should be on an 04 summit x 600 ho? i heard it can go down as 90 psi? is this true at what point do you get new rings?

Most guages read goofy and depends how you are doing your test. The cylinders should be within 10% of each other, and re-ring should be 2000 to 3000 miles, depending on the type of riding you are doing. I re-do my race engines every year and they don't have 50 miles on them I am sure

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you let the engine warm up first? Pull both plugs. Have a friend hold it for you and pull the rope fast about 4 times in a row then read it. Also, make sure the gage is not leaking down.

90 seams a tad low. Is it hard starting or hard to get it to go into reverse?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you let the engine warm up first? Pull both plugs. Have a friend hold it for you and pull the rope fast about 4 times in a row then read it. Also, make sure the gage is not leaking down.

90 seams a tad low. Is it hard starting or hard to get it to go into reverse?

yes,
90 is to low if you are sure it is 90. Should be around 120 or 130

Top Bottom