Commander owners!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i might be in the club in the next couple weeks.

What kind of mods are worth doing? this is my list of mods that I will do when once i buy it, not all in order though. anyone try a power steering kit? i was told by the salesman that they dont have power steering because of the visco lock and to small of alternator, any take?

Pro armor suicide doors
full cage
rear seat
roof
LED light bar
clutch kit
exhaust
fuel controller
winch
rear view mirror

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i might be in the club in the next couple weeks.

What kind of mods are worth doing? this is my list of mods that I will do when once i buy it, not all in order though. anyone try a power steering kit? i was told by the salesman that they dont have power steering because of the visco lock and to small of alternator, any take?

Pro armor suicide doors
full cage
rear seat
roof
LED light bar
clutch kit
exhaust
fuel controller
winch
rear view mirror

You don't have upgraded tires and rims listed, why would you need a clutch kit?
You don't have an upgraded exhaust, why would you need a fuel controller?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditch the full cage and rear seat, a babysitter is cheaper. If you are going to be using it for pure sport use go with a holz racing bed delete kit and a motoworks high exhaust.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
No point buying a fuel controller and exhaust yet. The ECM limits the power so all you will gain is sound. A CVTech primary is the way to go on these machines

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditch the full cage and rear seat, a babysitter is cheaper. If you are going to be using it for pure sport use go with a holz racing bed delete kit and a motoworks high exhaust.

im buying it for my kids!! the wife and I have sport quads, as much as we love riding, the kids do too.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the big deciding factors is you can do a 3 person configured 42" bench in the back. Probably very tight for adults but fine for my 3 ninjas.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I have exhaust on there. Beadlocks and big horns will do for my rocky terrain

Opps didn't see the exhaust. Bead locks and Bighorns :thumbsup2: Good choice. I would ride it a while though before putting any kind of clutch kit on. See how it does. :beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opps didn't see the exhaust. Bead locks and Bighorns :thumbsup2: Good choice. I would ride it a while though before putting any kind of clutch kit on. See how it does. :beer:

Ya I will ride it awhile for sure. I'll have to do more research on what's best for these machine. I'm used to the rhino

MHC73

Reaction score
Good choices...
Pro Armors work great. PM me when you get them. I have some tricks to make the install much easier.
Wait for the electronics... I've been waiting for a vendor to make a full ECU replacement like an MSD. The ITC is pain if you are an aggressive rider. Its only matter of time for a new computer that will be plug and play.
I did change my Bighorns for Pitbull Growlers. I went for more ground clearance as the Bighorns are really only slightly taller than 25" and the Growlers are a true 27.5" tall. All be heavier. But really no real change in the power range and the Growlers bite real hard. Work well with the bead locks as well.
A buddy installed the LED bar on the roof.... Really cool. Works well.
We haven't touched the clutches yet. But if I do I will order from Airdam... the CvTech primary and get the secondary machined. Check out You Tube to see what Adam can do.... WOW.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP9zZPbtv3s[/media] I hope this link works....
I made my roof because I didn't like the Can Am plastic roof. It's a hollow roof and I've seen one caved in already from an impact. For the money its not tough enough. Holz makes a nice roof...
My XT steers real easy but the X's were really stiff; so much the ladies didn't think they could drive them. So we removed the front sway bar and it helped. Again its trial and error.. we'll see... Maybe I'll install power steering as well but I haven't done any research on which one...
Can Am's 4000lbs Warn kit is easy to install. Including the nice OEM dash switch. All Commanders are pre-wired for that package.

Good luck with your machine... Regards Marc

MHC73

Reaction score
When I can get some of my guys together I'll post photos. They seed in very nice and the rings are set perfect. With the growlers extra protection on the outer bead they closed up really well. I just don't know how hard they were to change over... I will post pics soon...

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put my deposit down on the commander today. only catch is, im second in line, and there is a x and xt coming. guy in front doesnt care which he gets, as long as its the first one, which should be in before may long. so if the x shows up first I dont get it and im stuck waiting a lloooooonnnggg time

MHC73

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the Growlers and a May ride.

After taking 6 Commanders into the bush for our first rides. Three solid days of serious abuse and except for one slightly bent tie rod....
NO PROBLEMS.
Not even a punctured tire... nothing.
Can Am made a seriously tough machine.

Everyone's machine worked so well and after the first day we figured out so much more about the Commander.

Visco works well BUT you can't chicken out and take your foot off the throttle... keep the power on and the front diff. hooks up quickly. Worked for us in some nasty holes.

If you have to hook someone up... don't be shy... take some slack and pound it. If you hesitate the belt may slip. Yankem hard. No problems with the sled style clutch. One complaint for me is the slap when the clutch engages, but after a few dozen times you don't even notice.

Tie rods are not that bad. We broke Rhino tie rods as well under the same conditions. I'm still going aftermarket because the one we bent was just from reefing on the steering wheel trying to get the machine straight in a deep hole braced against a creek bank.

Amazing fuel economy. Two full days of pounding and everyone was still 1/4 left or better. About 130-160 k of hard riding to a tank. With trail riding the fuel economy would be a lot more than slow slugging thru the mud and skeg and thick ass bush. The brush was so thick you could lose the machine in front of you at 15- 20 feet.

Pro Armor doors or any door are a must. Really made the ride enjoyable keeping clean and dry plus all the protection from the trees. But if you get doors make sure to add some duct tape or electrical tape at area closest to the the door or you will tear your seat.

Rear box leaks and water proof containers are a must.

Can Am rear bumper... remove the reflectors or any steep drop will tear them clear off. I think only one of mine survived and no one else's did at all. They also can take a good pop and not bend. I got pushed over a few trees when high centred, maybe thats why my reflector got tore off. HMMMM...

Well thats it for now....

Attachments

• SAM_0246.jpg
    SAM_0246.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 525
  • SAM_0244.jpg
    SAM_0244.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 529
  • SAM_0243.jpg
    SAM_0243.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 525
  • SAM_0290.jpg
    SAM_0290.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 537

MHC73

Reaction score
Actually... not a roll cage. These guys go so deep in nasty country they made bush bars. Keeps the brush away from you and doesn't beat your machine up. Mine is the one without them. I'm not sold on them either. Look better on Rhino's than Commanders but they work very well and can be removed in about 5 minutes. They take them off for normal riding.

Attachments

• SAM_0241.jpg
    SAM_0241.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Top Bottom