Comfree

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone have any experience selling a home with Comfree. Have this fixer upper prepoerty that is almost done and just tough to see $10K go to realtor if Comfree is viable.

My suspicion is that the buyer just tries to shave off what the realtor commision would have been. I have also see alot of overpriced Comfree properties.

Just looking for some feedback from those that have tried.

Cheers..............

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used Comfree when we sold our place in Sherwood Park 3 years ago. The market was basically at it's peak, but it sold in 8 days for full listing price. My parents sold their acreage 6 months later on Comfree as well. It took a little longer, but it still sold. The only problem we had was all the calls from realators saying that it won't sell, you have to use a realator. If people are looking to buy, they will snoop through Comfree's website just as often as MLS. I think it was around $800 to sign up on Comfree. Worth a shot for a few weeks before you sign a $15,000 realtor contract.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Realator is not worth the money they charge. What do they do? Put a add in the paper and list it on MLS. THey are not rocket scientists.
There is a new realator in town called the 2% Property Guys. Look them up as they must be scaring ReMax to death.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I believe in the whole com-free concept..... nothing a realtor does is something you can't do yourself and the cost savings is undeniable..

If a realtor was to cost 15000 and you want to realize 200K then you would have to sell for 215K..... with com free you can list at 205K and realize your profit goals..... If a prospective buyer is uncomfortable with a com-free deal tell them you will gladly sign up a realtor but the new price will reflect the realty costs....

I sold my house in lamont private sale on kijiji....paid a lawyer $800 and it was done...

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Worked great for us when we sold. Nice part is YOU get to decide when you want to show your house. Wasnt told by a realitor to leave for a hour so they could show the house. Transaction was easy and all legal.
I would use them if I ever sell again.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking right now and honestly I can say i'd rather have a realtor in a way, but I wouldn't want to pay the extra money. I mean you tell them what you want and they sift through all the ads, instead of you spending hours or days looking. And I will agree, looking at a house with a realtor vs going into a strangers house with them is a lot different experience.

In the end if I was selling I would try comfree for sure and when I end up buying I am sure it won't be though a realtor just because of the extra price.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Realtor costs nothing when you are the buyer.....seller pays, if you use your own realtor to buy and a deal is struck then the sellers realtor shares the commission with your realtor.... when buying you may find that a listing with com-free is a little more flexable on price given the saved realtor fees..... Realtor really gives a false sense of security... I used a realtor to buy and STILL ended up with an inadequate septic system which I can do nothing about now other than do it myself (legal fees would outweigh the cost of a new system).... A quality inspector & good lawyer are 10X more valuable than a realtor....

I am looking right now and honestly I can say i'd rather have a realtor in a way, but I wouldn't want to pay the extra money. I mean you tell them what you want and they sift through all the ads, instead of you spending hours or days looking. And I will agree, looking at a house with a realtor vs going into a strangers house with them is a lot different experience.

In the end if I was selling I would try comfree for sure and when I end up buying I am sure it won't be though a realtor just because of the extra price.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you determine the selling price with Comfree...........I see a lot of overpriced comfree listings..........is the seller advised or given any guidance?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you determine the selling price with Comfree...........I see a lot of overpriced comfree listings..........is the seller advised or given any guidance?

You can ask Appraisal to be done.
Companies in Edmonton do it for a fee.

Or tell a realtor you are thinking of selling and say you are not sure what the house is worth.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

It's just like selling anything...what it's worth to different people will differ. if you put a value on your property, if others see it the same as you it will sell, if not it won't.... I have a lake lot I would like to sell at upper mann lake, I won't even adveratize it right now because I know my value on it it higher than that of anyone else.... eventually that will change and I will sell.
If someone is selling with comfree they usually will research the market themselves and compare it to similar properties... if you think the price is too high put in an offer of what you think it's worth....worst they can do is refuse the offer........

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sold 6 houses in the last 11 yrs. I have not yet used a real estate agent. They are way over priced. I just sold a house near Calgary with an ad in Kijiji, and welist.com I have used welist 3 times so far, and it only costs me about 250-300$ to list. Check it out WeList.com - Homes for Sale by Owner, sorry I do not know anything about this com-free thing.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I would use comfree to advertise I bought a sold my houses for sale by owner.....I did use an agent to look at houses....well cause it costs me nothin and it's much easier.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Realtor costs nothing when you are the buyer.....seller pays, if you use your own realtor to buy and a deal is struck then the sellers realtor shares the commission with your realtor.... when buying you may find that a listing with com-free is a little more flexable on price given the saved realtor fees..... Realtor really gives a false sense of security... I used a realtor to buy and STILL ended up with an inadequate septic system which I can do nothing about now other than do it myself (legal fees would outweigh the cost of a new system).... A quality inspector & good lawyer are 10X more valuable than a realtor....

Yea that is what I ment, essentially a buyer is paying for the realtor fees to because people will factor it into the asking price and no matter how they are selling it I think most people will want the same dollar regardless. Maybe a bit more for the hassle of selling it themselves but realtors sure ain't cheap.

I've been checking out comfree, mls, and kijiji a lot in the past few months and a lot of houses prices are just plain stupid. It is really amazing what some people are asking. The most important thing has got to be price as as far as i'm concerned a bit to low is better then to high, because if it's just to high people won't even look.

Daniel

Reaction score
I sold my house on comfree they came out gave me the price they thought i should sell it for. We wanted to sell fast so we drop it a bit sold in less then a month. Saved $13 000 the little bit of work I had to do it was well worth it.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you handle the legalities of the sale? My realtor has always 'helped' that along in past transactions........how is the deposit handled that the buyer gives etc?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
How do you handle the legalities of the sale? My realtor has always 'helped' that along in past transactions........how is the deposit handled that the buyer gives etc?

Lawyer handles the financials.........

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lawyer handles the financials.........

So you just make the deal and then say to the seller............i will have my lawyer contact your lawyer? Is that how it works? Is there a bill of sale you draw up etc?

I just put an ad up on Kijiji and will gauge response........

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you just make the deal and then say to the seller............i will have my lawyer contact your lawyer? Is that how it works? Is there a bill of sale you draw up etc?

When someone decides they want to buy your house.
1. You agree on a price.
2. They go to their lawyer, and he makes up an offer to purchase, with all the legalities on it. What stays and what doesn't. Then you all sign it.
3. They give their lawyer the deposit, in which he sends it to your lawyer for him to keep for you.
4. After that you wait for them to do the rest.

Good luck.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Keep us posted....I will be selling this summer and not sure what to do..

Top Bottom