Coalminer's trail to Nordegg?

okieinab

Reaction score
I was quadding south of Jackfish lake on the weekend and came across a trail sign "Coalminer's Trail (old rail line)" -- we rode a few km's of it then looped back to the North Saskatchewan River on a popular river trail and then back north on the pipeline to Hwy 11 where we were parked. Does the Coalminer's trail take you to Nordegg, and how are the conditions on the trail (other than the old railway ties)? Is this trail maintained by a club and if so do you need a membership to travel on this trail?

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode this trail in Sept. There are a couple of spots that can be a challenge. depending on how wet it is. There is also a bit of a detour around some private property.

A nice ride though.....:)

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the trail is the old railway to nordegg from rocky. it starts west of town and hits hourburg, chambers creek, saunders and then nordegg.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Where could i park my truck and then proceed to get on the trail?Is there an area right by Horburg?

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where could i park my truck and then proceed to get on the trail?Is there an area right by Horburg?

if you follow the road past the horburg campground/ boat launch to the river u can un load there. then just follow the pipline awayfrom the river and u will hit the railline going west. check with the guys at gatway sales in town and talk to owen or frank.

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, there is a committee trying to utilize the existing railroad as a corridor to Nordegg from Rocky, there have been a couple of meetings locally looking for support/input on this...anyways someone independent has taken the liberty of posting some signage to the effect of there being an existing trail...but it is in poor shape in many areas and there are some very agressive areas where the trestles have been removed...if you ride this are be very careful and be ready for a long ride as there are lots of go-arounds and bombed-out areas...hopefully they get funding and a proper trail will be done...

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have been to the caboose many times..it's a good ride there are detours around some of the big tresle areas..it's even 2wd dooable..keep on the rail line headin west..if you come to a fence that says go around..you went about a half km too far..the entrance is by a viewpoint that has walking trails thru it..just a few feet past there there is old pails hanging in the trees.you should see an entrance way to the right..looks like a hard chew and is at times..in aro 200 feet is the caboose and the old abandoned school house(we were told its a old school house)..dooin a weekend campout at the chambers creek group area would be a great idea.i know you could count me in.:Ponder::hmm::beep::beer:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I have done many tours/rides near Nordegg on the line and down "Broke Thumb Trail" from Hiway 11 to the Gap. Is good for quads but ussually wind swept near The North Sask. in the winter and not much snow for sleds, watch out for the mean Wild Horses in that area!!!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
How much snow is there in the area ..Does anyone know? Maybe Safari Guy can help me out!!!Personally i like the winter riding as much as summer riding

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was quadding south of Jackfish lake on the weekend and came across a trail sign "Coalminer's Trail (old rail line)" -- we rode a few km's of it then looped back to the North Saskatchewan River on a popular river trail and then back north on the pipeline to Hwy 11 where we were parked. Does the Coalminer's trail take you to Nordegg, and how are the conditions on the trail (other than the old railway ties)? Is this trail maintained by a club and if so do you need a membership to travel on this trail?

Print off the maps that i have posted on the thread '' Map of trail Rocky to nordegg. That should help you out alot, and yes there are some very challanging spots (some swampy, some steep hills etc.) but overall it's a cool trail, should take about 8hrs one way with a lunch and beer break. There is alot of it that has no rail ties and is nice and smooth, it is not all signed, most spots you will see either the coalminer trail sign or blue paint with a black arrow.
Clearwater county and some area clubs are doing studies etc. on the costs & impacts of making a family ridable trail out of it complete with rest areas washrooms, and atv campsites. Right now it is (with some excperience) ridable from Horburg to Nordegg.
Any questions, just shoot me a line.
Happy trails.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done many tours/rides near Nordegg on the line and down "Broke Thumb Trail" from Hiway 11 to the Gap. Is good for quads but ussually wind swept near The North Sask. in the winter and not much snow for sleds, watch out for the mean Wild Horses in that area!!!

The Gap is a nice ride except for all the little dig out's in the road, it gets to you after a while. Do you go all the way down to the river on the steep rocky hill ? We have done it a few times, but it is a bit of a challenge, many times we will just turn around before the steep rocky hill at the end.

yamman

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have been to the old railline a few times myself, very interesting area with all the history and such, there,s suppose to be two or three old townsites along the way from horburg to nordegg but I have never rode that far, I have only rode from horburg to the gravel road south of jackfish lake, thinking of heading out to the horburg campground next friday to ride the old railline again with part of my family. My whole family loves riding quads so its a good getaway for us. Some very nice scenery along the old railline and yes there are some tricky areas but most of the bad areas have detours around them, a few don,t. Anyway ride safe all, and respect the trails for future riders.

Top Bottom