Coal Creek/Sparwood area

Rufer19

Reaction score
Has anybody been out around the Coal Creek area? Or anything around Sparwood Elkford Fernie? Looking for one last trip for the year. Wondering if I might be better off heading to Golden for a weekend trip? Anybody been out that way?
Thanks fellas.

jdaniel

Reaction score
Has anybody been out around the Coal Creek area? Or anything around Sparwood Elkford Fernie? Looking for one last trip for the year. Wondering if I might be better off heading to Golden for a weekend trip? Anybody been out that way?
Thanks fellas.
We were up koko claims Yesterday, about 4 inches of fresh snow on hard packed. Trail going up is good, with all the avalanches down big again, round prairie staging is a mud pit.

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Thanks fellas.

Rode coal mountain this past weekend, spring snow, but still had a blast. staged 3 or 4 km up coal creek after the second bridge, trails melting fast... probably stage at 7 or 8 km up coal this weekend if u go there, lots of snow up top though

jdaniel

Reaction score
All that fresh powder from easter weekend has settled into firm packed go anywhere conditions. The only fresh snow is from What We got Saturday night. Although there is snow in the forecast for this week, it is supposed to be high teens for the weekend.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All that fresh powder from easter weekend has settled into firm packed go anywhere conditions. The only fresh snow is from What We got Saturday night. Although there is snow in the forecast for this week, it is supposed to be high teens for the weekend.

No doubt; that is spring in the Rockies! We will get a cool rain event in town and the rain will turn to snow at about 5500'. There will be some nice fresh before the season is over. It won't be like early season fresh but......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wondering if it is worth while to come riding tomorrow?

There is snow and it is deep; not fresh but deep. Hero snow, go anywhere snow, I can doo that kind of snow, and IMHO, it is just nice to get out and enjoy the sunshine. Still no rocks on the trail in Elkford. Coal Creek is quite black due to the coal and you may be staging close to Matheson by now.

I'm gonna go and take some dogs, have a fire, develop some raccoon eyes, and watch the sluffing. Might get a few feet of awesome video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ugTZRTfjo

Last edited:
Top Bottom