clutching questions. harsh engagement

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 m800 with the stock upgraded clutch. I ride with a couple other pros and doo guys and they don't seem to have a harsh clunk on engagement. I ride around fernie and valmount the most and have done nothing clutching or track wise from factory. I am a lighter weight rider at 160 lbs with all my gear should i get it re weighted and balanced. i have already tried a new belt with no luck. sled has 600 miles on it. any insight would help as i know nothing about the cluthcing other than how to set the belt deflection. Thanks

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 m800 with the stock upgraded clutch. I ride with a couple other pros and doo guys and they don't seem to have a harsh clunk on engagement. I ride around fernie and valmount the most and have done nothing clutching or track wise from factory. I am a lighter weight rider at 160 lbs with all my gear should i get it re weighted and balanced. i have already tried a new belt with no luck. sled has 600 miles on it. any insight would help as i know nothing about the cluthcing other than how to set the belt deflection. Thanks

It is pretty common that the clutches engage hard. Are you achieving desired RPM? What would you like your clutch to do? Just not engage hard? You can swap out the entire secondary for a team tied secondary which is a way better secondary clutch and will hold back shift better. You could go to a softer primary spring in your primary clutch to reduce clutch engagement and engage lower. You can change the helix angle...Options are endless. They are setup from the factory to hit hard and engage hard at a high rpm. They are doing what they are supposed to do. If your not blowing belts and your achieving your desired RPM. I wouldn't worry about it 12-15 all engaged pretty hard, and all made the "clunking" noise you speak of its quite normal they hit hard

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your clutch weights could be sticky and not swinging freely. Also check the distance between the primary sheaves and the belt. This is usually way to wide from the factory.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be fine rpm wise. and i have heard of sheathing a couple times wondering if that is a at home project to change or easier to pay someone to do it. thanks

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as you have your belt deflection set right that's all you can really do unless you get an aftermarket adjusted for the primary which you turn in as the belt wears. Linderman put one on my old mod sled and it did its job, but yea they come on hard until you get a 16 or 17 with the teams dialed in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom