Clutching help needed

sledhead80

Reaction score
I was out at valemount this weekend to try my new mods on my 2012 pro rmk which include a 2.5 inch 174, 13.1 to 1 pa head, hps can, 19 43 gears, blue pink slp primary spring and 8 tooth avid drives. Last year I would run 8150 rpm consistently this year though with the changes I'm seeing 7950 to 8000. I'm running stock primary weights and was wondering how many grams they are and what I should change them to so I can get back up to 8150 to 8200 ish. Thanks!

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are missing. I had the same setup with a 3" track running 10-64 weights and run at 8100 to 8150. Stock weights are 10-62 I believe. I am also geared at 19/45 though which will make it easier for the motor to get into higher gear. Did you change your belt this year? Old belts can get hard surfaced and cause a rpm drop as well.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was also warm and vary wet heavy snow. It was hard to rpm last weekend for sure.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out at valemount this weekend to try my new mods on my 2012 pro rmk which include a 2.5 inch 174, 13.1 to 1 pa head, hps can, 19 43 gears, blue pink slp primary spring and 8 tooth avid drives. Last year I would run 8150 rpm consistently this year though with the changes I'm seeing 7950 to 8000. I'm running stock primary weights and was wondering how many grams they are and what I should change them to so I can get back up to 8150 to 8200 ish. Thanks!

How did it pull at the current rpm I thought this is the target rpm for this head?

sledhead80

Reaction score
It pulled strong and had no bog issues or anything was just thinking I was losing 150 rpm because of how it ran last year.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It pulled strong and had no bog issues or anything was just thinking I was losing 150 rpm because of how it ran last year.

Temp?...conditions of snow? these all play into it. If your running a set up that works right at colder temps with light snow then it will not work the same in warm and wet conditions. Unless you can throw more power at it or ride at a lower elevation.... or, lighten up the weights.....possibly tighten up the spring rate in the secondary. Springs can lose their rate over time.....

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the carls cycle full clutch kit and had them machine the sheaves and rebalance. The sled hauls a** now. Holds rock steady RPM when pulling a hill and acheives full shift out at WOT. On the way back to the truck i raced side by side with a 2010 HCR that supposedly has 163hp, he had a bunch of custom clutching done by a reputable dealer and he could not pull me at all. We raced 5 or 6 times and it was the same thing every time. Last year I could not pull with him. I did gear down from stock as I am 235 before getting dressed to 19/43. I am a full 55lbs heavier than he is also. Their clutching made a big difference. EPI belly buster weights, team green primary spring, team gold/black secondary spring and carls helix. I havent put a new belt on yet either, the one I am running has over 700 miles on it from last year. When I got home I also realized I had a bent lower a arm and my alignment was way out causing it to dart pretty bad.

All in all it worked very well and was worth sending to carls cycle to have the clutching done. IMHO.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many grams are the primary weights
I was running polaris 66 gram weights and they put 66 gram epi belly buster weights in. They are not adjustable. The helix is a dual angle so you can adjust the helix. Cant remember what they were. Just ask for carls clutch kit and tell him what elevation you run at. I told them 2500-5500ft.

Top Bottom