Clutch Tuning Advice Needed?

TommyTongue

Reaction score
I know this will probably open up a can of worms but here goes.......

I have a Doulton Clutch in my 2011 rxr 800.
Until know I have the standard spring and weights they stipulated to keep it stock as had the 25 inch on 12 inch rim stock tires....

I have just put on 14 inch rims with 28 inch zilla tires......Most of my riding is mud and trail and at reasonably low speeds. I use it for hunting too.....

My crude recording of rpm's are as follows...

Stock Tire - stock doulton clutch... engage at 1900 rpm. Fully engaged at 6100 rpm.

I know have put in the red and orange spring (stronger tension) with the 28 inch tires 14 inch rims

I have reduced the weights from 3.6 to 1.2 oz.

engage at 2200 rpm. tops out at same 6100 RPM...WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO GIVE THE MAX HP.

My question is... is the engaging rpms too high? should I put back the stock spring so it will engaged at about 1900 rpm.

any advice is welcome...I have not done this before!

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The clutch kit is designed to engage at a higher rpm so it is normal.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

TommyTongue

Reaction score
ok thanks. I can putback in the smaller spring so it engages at aprox 2000 or will this be too low with teh larger tires?

Toxic

Reaction score
ok thanks. I can putback in the smaller spring so it engages at aprox 2000 or will this be too low with teh larger tires?

The purpose is site engine is further into its power range when the clutch engages as bigger tires will lug down the engine, can you do it yes but if you get it buried it's gonna be sluggish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2000 is a nice rpm to trail ride a rzr,any more and it is a little jumpy.......28 `s are not big tires and your rzr would turn them with no clutch kit. IF your in deep thick clay type mud with aggresive/big tires a little more stall would help (engagement rpm). But with trail type 28 inch tires 2000 rpm is lots...........IMO.

TommyTongue

Reaction score
2000 is a nice rpm to trail ride a rzr,any more and it is a little jumpy.......28 `s are not big tires and your rzr would turn them with no clutch kit. IF your in deep thick clay type mud with aggresive/big tires a little more stall would help (engagement rpm). But with trail type 28 inch tires 2000 rpm is lots...........IMO.

ok thanks all ... I'm gonna give it a try as it is set up at the jamboree and see what ghappens...

engaging at aprox 2200..... I can always go back tot he small spring if it is too jumpy....(not really sure what that means) but will try and see... I guess the proof is in the pudding.....

thanks again all

Toxic

Reaction score
Thats one of the things I really like about a QSC clutch kit, they give you a stiffer spring but also a couple washers so you have a little more play with adjusting your engagement RPM.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah , had qsc on my 850 .............Very good setup. Smooth as silk.

What did you use for shims,. I put the 2200 engagment on in and I find it too harsh. I hear guys are more happy with leaving the shims out and just using the new springs and weights.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
springs usually have a starting rate and a finish rate... are stock springs not this way too? the starting rate of the spring gives you a general stalling speed... although that stall speed can be affected be what you run for weights in the primary and what you run in the secondary...

the finish rate of the spring as you go higher in number or stiffer slows your clutch down and you can get the same shiftout rpm then running a softer primary spring and light weights...this gives you more grab of the belt with a heavier primary spring and heavier weights... but still maintane the higher shiftout required

but all this comes with losing some efficienty

TommyTongue

Reaction score
I have no idea what shims are... all I did was put in the Doulton fly arm thingies and the weights in teh ends as by the instructions. I then changed out the spring. I have being playing with the weights in the fly arms to change the "stall rpm engagement" I have now got a stiffer spring with lighter weights wich with crude testing produces the 2200 and the 6100. Happy with the 6100 as this is idea according to the engine specs...

Was just wondering if I should lower the stall. I would leave the weights and put back in the stock equivelent spring which was producing abput 1900 rpm before I swaped them out. Only got 1.2 oz in at moment and getting the 2200. So would need to replace the spring then up the weight back to 3.6 I think it was.

Top Bottom