Clutch Trouble???

jal

Reaction score
Hey, guys i was looking for a little help. I swamped my 800 outlander, and dumped the oil repeatedly, drained the clutch, thats all good.

My problem is my one way bearing and spring cap were siezed into the primary with the spring compressed, And heres the kicker it sat like that for a month until tonight when i pulled it apart and seperated the parts. My main question is how can the cap and bearing sieze in there, shouldnt it be slghtly smaller than the hole in the primary?
I realized it was siezed because as soon as i put in gear it would stall.

i'm ordering a new cap and a one way. Should i replace the primary spring too its a green/yellow from a dalton clutch kit.
I will post some pics tomorrow to better explain.
Thanks

whitetail

Reaction score
Hi Jal,

I can not help you but I was wondering which Dalton kit you put in your bike.
I have an 09 outlander 800 r. Did you just change your weights or did you put in a different helix as well? I have 14 inch 27's on mine.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring is probably OK....if you have a ton of miles on it, replacing it is just good practice. The one-way should be serviced every year. It's likely your swamping incident was just the final straw. Make sure your weights all move freely and hit the clutch faces with a Scotchbrite pad while you're in there....

Whitetail: the Dalton kit does not have a helix change as an option, however, if you are running heavy large diameter tires, running the 650 helix in the 800 does help.

Last edited:

jal

Reaction score
Dalton DBO800 it is only a primary spring (Green/Yellow) and 3 new flyweights, i'm running 27' Mud lites. I may add the Yellow/Black spring when i put my 28' Mudzillas on. (If i ever get this damn thing going again)

jal

Reaction score
Dave, I have about 350Km on clutch kit and 1100Km on the machine. I was wondering if there could be damage to the primary, there is a bit of wear in the black plastic bushing or wear ring just inside the primary where the pring cap was stuck? Not sure what its called or if it can be removed to be replaced. Again has anyone else had the spring cap and one way sieze into the primary? i'll put the pics on tonight.

whitetail

Reaction score
Dave,

So just buy the dalton kit for this tire size or should I try the EPI kit with different helix?

I just want to know if the weight kit with gree/yellow spring is sufficient.

Thanx

jal

Reaction score
Here are the pics, the cap and bearing were stuck in the primary up to the red line. The other is the primary and the staining. The last one is the shaft it looks like it has a hot spot on the shaft.

jal

Reaction score
Let me try again.

Attachments

• primary.jpg
    primary.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 128
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 61
  • hotspot.jpg
    hotspot.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 125

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you catch the two little pins and springs from the inside of the one-way? That one-way is hooped. There's a lot of mud in everything....you're going to want to check all the clutch bushings and all the weights.

Whitetail: the Dalton kit should work good for those tires. I wouldn't go to a stiffer secondary spring or a 650 helix.

Last edited:

jal

Reaction score
Do you mean the plastic bushing in the primary, or the bearings behind the inner primary shieve. I dont have the puller to remove the inside one. THe dealer told me that the primary bushing just swelled and to sand it down so that the srring cap and new one way i ordered will fit inside. OR should i Press out the bushing and replace it. (If thats possible?)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean everything good and test fit with no spring....maybe that bushing could swell with water left on it for a while...in which case a little emery cloth should fix 'er up.

The pin and springs go in the two holes on the main shaft under the one-way bearing. The springs are about the size of Bic pen springs....you need 'em or you won't have engine braking.

Parts # 25 and 26 on the diagram...

jal

Reaction score
Dave, last question. What is the chance that i got oil in the chain case and do i need to change it?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at your poor clutches, I'd say there's a very good change you got water in the gearbox. The breather hangs down fairly low on the right side behind the plastic. The drain is a metal plug down low....it'll drip all over your skidplate if you have one...the fill is the plastic plug that is up and rearward of the drain. 75/140 synthetic gear oil from Crappy Tire works great.

Top Bottom