Clutch Removal 101

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you needed a 1" impact and a service truck to remove your clutch. I beat on it all day with everything 1/2" Mac, IR, Snapon. Couple wraps with the 1" and she was laying on the floor!!:nono:

Attachments

• 100_6403.jpg
    100_6403.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_6402.jpg
    100_6402.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_6400.jpg
    100_6400.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 46

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never use impacts myself. IMO alittle to hard on the crank/bearings but ya gotta do what works. Did you try hot water or water in the hole with thread tape on your bolt trick?

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, give me the low down on your technique so next time I don't have to resort to beating the s!@# out of my crank! Thanks

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that! It makes perfect sense.
Clutch is off, now I can install D.J.'s kit.
I hope it works as well as everybody claims
(I could mold a whole new belt out of all the belt dust in the primary)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used the grease down the hole method successfully before, but I'll be trying the hot water idea next time. Way easier cleanup!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used the grease down the hole method successfully before, but I'll be trying the hot water idea next time. Way easier cleanup!

By hot water, I meant pouring hot water over you shives while you have tension on your bolt/puller. The shives exspand with the heat and pop off.

Grease works, you dont have to tip sled on side, but like you say harder to clean up.

You Tube DJ clutch he has the break down all on video.

You will be happy with you DJ kit, he has not failed me yet. Great product.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When 162skidoo couldn't get his clutch off I just told him to give the removal tool a smack on the end with a hammer it popped right off with one hit:eek:.:p

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When 162skidoo couldn't get his clutch off I just told him to give the removal tool a smack on the end with a hammer it popped right off with one hit:eek:.:p

Isn't that why the tools are made with an end similar to the top of a chisel? :confused:

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that why the tools are made with an end similar to the top of a chisel? :confused:

I don't have a clue, but am just going to throw this out there.

Wouldn't a hit on the end of the crank with a hammer be harder on the bearings than using a big impact which puts natural rotation on the crank?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a clue, but am just going to throw this out there.

Wouldn't a hit on the end of the crank with a hammer be harder on the bearings than using a big impact which puts natural rotation on the crank?
yes...IMO. the teflon tape and water in the bolt hole is the most gentle way to remove a stuck primary.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucky you didn't pull the threads out of your primary, or bend the puller so it wouldn't come out of the primary.:eek:

Last stuck primary I did was turn sled on side, good spray of Kroil (100x better than WD40), tighten up with 1/2" impact, couple of taps on end of tool with a dead blow hammer and left it for the night. Came back in the morning and it was off.

Just make sure you clean it good with emery cloth, a light coat of grease or assembly lube(wipe most of it off before putting clutch back on)

If it had that much belt dust, sounds like some TLC with an air wand after each ride might be in order.:d

Top Bottom