Clutch Question

mlipiec

Reaction score
Hello,
I have always messed around with older/smaller field and ditch sleds but recently just bought my first mountain sled (07 Summit 800 powertek). The previous owner bought it used from a dealer so I have little modification history as the original owner has done a few upgrades (vent kit, quick clickers, inside wheel kit), anyways my real question is with the clutching. When riding it almost feels like it has two "gears" as once it hits 7000 on the trail it kind of boosts forward and drops down to 6000 (lockup I assume) and when climbing hills when track speed drops enough it revs back up that extra thousand keeping rpms up until you get speed again, and when coasting it seems to have a fairly powerful engine brake. Is this something for concern or would this be an aftermarket clutch kit that has been installed? The person who owned it before was a 25 year old girl who rode it in fields only so I would guess she wouldnt have noticed it (maybe Im just being picky/paranoid). I took it to the fernie area last weekend and it seemed to pull well on the smaller hills and kept up to my buddies XM no problem and there was never any burnt belt smell. Thanks for any insight anyone has into this!

oilerfan1982

Reaction score
might check your buttons on your secondary and the rev's have always backshifed hard and ramps and rollers on your primary just a start anyway

oilerfan1982

Reaction score
Ok ill give it a check this weekend, anything in particular to look for?
when you pull your primary off and pull apart look at buttons check for wear there is a wear mark on them I replace mine every couple of years dont cost much check ramps for wear all three should look the same rollers if there is any play up and down and if there is a cluch kit in it you will have a different spring stock is a yellow/purple marks on the bottom side and you will have wieghted pins that go through your rollers
and for your secondary clutch if it is a non x modle you will have buttons black and red just make sure they are not broken and have even wear for the cost i just replace them anyway if is an x modle you will have rollers just check if there is any play in them

Bradt44mag

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 07 xrs I pulled and tore down and cleaned both clutches and found that ramps had flat spots warn in them from the rollers so I changed the ramps and rollers and assembled clutch togeather without spring and had quite a bit of play in the bushing on the sliding half so installed new bushings refitted halves togeather made sure no dragging or binding on bushings and reassembled and installed primary. The secondary was a roller I inspected all parts and found that I had to replace the large bushing on the back half that slides on the helix I had well our .030" play replaced both bushings I machined up a bushing installer for the large bushing and reassembled secondary way tighter now the person that had my sled before floated the secondary with a large pile of washers so I machined a one piece spacer and installed secondary replaced belt and set up tension on the adjuster on the secondary clutch. Took it out for a drive after and what a differance way better hole shot and carry up to 8100 rpm no lugging.

Bradt44mag

Reaction score
Also check over your rave valve vacuum hoses make sure they are hooked up and secure would not hurt to pull out and clean the valves make sure they free also they gum up over time and will mimick a clutch problem low power and drop or delayed rpm

Mattjames

Reaction score
ya definitely sounds like its time for a rebuild on both clutches. I did mine this year, not supper cheap but, what a difference, feels almost like you gain a whole other piston haha. You also should be holding 8100 RPM when wide open. If everything is still stock maybe give Dynamo Joe a shout at Ibackshift.com his kits make a big difference.

Top Bottom