Clutch engagement

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a new to me, 2014 m8000 Sno pro. Was the dealers demo. When the clutch engages from a standstill I am getting a banging feeling, almost as if there is some slack in the helix that is suddenly being taken up. On my brothers 2009 M1000 that feeling was the result of half of the rollers being broken, but the dealer says these clutches only have a couple, and so this is normal. I am taking it in for a couple of other issues so I just wanted some feedback from other people as to whether you get the same feeling so I know whether it is just a characteristic of this model, or out of the oridinary.

thanks

Obligatory picture
image.jpg

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the clearance between the belt and primary sheaves. The wider this is the hard the hit when it engages. The primary can be shimmed but its a pain to do.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2013 only does that If I have just been in reverse. Something doesn't seem right with yours.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2013 only does that If I have just been in reverse. Something doesn't seem right with yours.

That at was what the dealer suggested was the reason, so last time I was out I paid more attention to when it was happening, and it was pretty much any time I brought the clutch in quickly.

will discuss it with them more when I take the sled in, thanks for the info.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer checked the clutch over and said it is fine. He says that these clutches come in at pretty high revs and pretty hard as well if you don't feather it in at the engagement point. Thinking I might replace it with aftermarket as I don't much like the feel, or the sudden engagement. Maybe that is why AC gave up on doing their own clutch and bought in Team clutches for 2016? Anyhow, figure I might go Team as well as people seem to like them in the 2016. Anyone running one in their current machine?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer checked the clutch over and said it is fine. He says that these clutches come in at pretty high revs and pretty hard as well if you don't feather it in at the engagement point. Thinking I might replace it with aftermarket as I don't much like the feel, or the sudden engagement. Maybe that is why AC gave up on doing their own clutch and bought in Team clutches for 2016? Anyhow, figure I might go Team as well as people seem to like them in the 2016. Anyone running one in their current machine?
Your belt to sheave clearance is not correct. Ideally, it should be .020" with a new belt. Engagement speed can be lowered with different primary spring, but the spider will require shimming to take up the excessive clearance - most of them I've seen are between .035"-.055" out of the crate - that will give you a harsh engagement, and slam the belt into the secondary. Another thing to consider - the machine is clutched for 6-8000', so if you're riding it locally (2000-2500'), the helix angle is a bit shallow for lower elevations, and your weights / spring aren't really ideal for lower elevations. Sure, it will work, but it isn't ideal...
As far as the new Team primary, it isn't available yet, and from first hand experience with Team clutches, you'll know when one is installed, as they are quite noisy - a new one sounds like a Cat clutch with 1400 miles on it when running (kind of the nature of the beast).

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding is in Whistler, so starting at 2500, but that is just trail head, by the time you are in the actual riding it is closer to 6000+. Wasn't thinking of the 2016 primary rather I was looking at the aftermarket Team, but am open to another suggestion. I will check the clearance when I get the machine back to Calgary and into my shop. who would be a good shop in Calgary or area to do some work on it if I do want to modify it.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Mcbride and my 12 is doing the same thing when it only used to do it after it was in Reverse. I have the 2014 secondary as well as gearing and just cleaned my primary and put a new stock yellow/white spring in. The belt doesn't have that many miles on it either.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recall some issues with secondary back cams....there are two of them and some crack causing poor shifting.

0648-826 CAM,BACK-2 STRK $ 2.19

#10 in pic

driven.png

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if there is a difference between coasting to a stop and braking to a stop. Coasting to a stop the rollers will stay on the helix. Braking or after reverse, the rollers come off the helix so when you hit the gas it slams the rollers into the helix. Very common on these sleds.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't recall there being a difference, but I will check next time I am out. Unfortunately that might not be until next year, looks like the season is pretty much done in Whistler unless you like riding more dirt than snow.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i changed my primary spring to the cat green and brought the rpm down and it was alot better i dont have that anymore.

Top Bottom