Clutch Creeping

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the site and thought I would start with a question. My 99 Polaris Sportsman 500 has slowly developed a problem over the past month and now when I start it in neutral , it won't go into gear. If I start it in gear, it starts to move with the starter. The primary sheave is not touching the sides of the belt in low idle. The bike has EBS. With the belt off, I can rotate the one-way clutch with my fingers. I should mention that I had to ride out of an area in reverse for around 10km. The shifter box jammed up.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check for proper belt deflection/alignment, proper belt, or separarted front engine mount.

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
Should there be any belt deflection with EBS? As far as the alignment goes, where should I start? The secondary has a little bit of a woble but it did before This problem began.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There should be some belt deflection, even with ebs. The belt does not run as tight as an Yamaha or Suzuki.

If you have not recently replaced the belt or have not recently had the transmission out, then check the front engine mount. It is fairly common for the rubber to separate from the metal plate on the front mount, throwing clutch alignment out.

Even though you can turn the sprague clutch by hand, it can still be the problem. Dirt or wear may cause the sprague clutch to catch a little bit under the weight of the belt at idle.

Wear in the nylon bushings in the primary clutch may cause an alignment problem, or may prevent the primary clutch from fully opening. Clutch rebuild requires a few special tools. If you lift the rear tire and place the unit in 2wd and start appling throttle the primary should close smoothly; if there is any jerky movments while closing the primary is long overdue for a rebuild. If the primary requires a rebuild, then the secondary does as well. If you have over 5000 mile, it is time for clutch rebuilds.

Occasionally the input shaft bearing on the transmission will go out, causing an alignment and loose belt deflection problem. Make sure this is not the cause of your secondary wobble.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can pull the secondary and add or take away shims to make the clutched alling properly.

This unit is nine years old and the problem has just started. IMO, adding/removing shim is only masking the problem and likely for only a short time.

Jethrobuddy, the secondary is on a spline. Just remove the center bolt and work the secondary off by hand. The primary requires a puller; A puller can be made using a peice of 3/4" fine thread ready rod.

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
Everything moves nice and smooth. What I did notice is that the belt rides against the inboard side of the primary. The one way clutch at the bottom does not free wheel. If, with pressure, I rotate by hand and move the belt over to the outboard side(centering the belt on the one way clutch), it freewheels. When I press the throttle and let it come down to idle, the belt has once again moved to the inboard side of the one way clutch and does not let it free wheel.

Top Bottom