close call...and even bigger wake up call!

AC4life

Reaction score
On July 7th i was involved in a quadding accident that completely destroyed my nose (needed reconstructive surgury to repair), broke my right eye socket in 2 places and caused many lacerations on my face. I was riding my quad up a sand embankment near Loon Lake, SK when my back tires spun down in a soft spot causing my quad to become competely vertical...i jumped off the back and by the time i turned around the quad was already on top of me. As the quad flipped over backwards the front rack at hit me in the face causing all the damage. I am going to be competely honest when i say that i wear a helmet all the time when i go for rides away from the farm. I made a bad decision that day NOT to wear one for whatever stupid reason... and that was the day that i needed it most. Helmets save lives and i am not making up any excuses for not having mine on that day. I missed three weeks of work and three weeks of my summer, but that is a small price to pay to still be around to tell the story. I am very lucky to still be alive. I just want to encourage all riders of all ages to please wear your helmets...cause i know i wont be getting on my quad without one ever again. We all wear them when we are sledding, so why not when we are quadding!!!

gusto

Reaction score
Glad to hear your going to be ok..I have made the same stupid mistake. Quads can sure hurt you in a quick hurry when they roll backwards on ya. Good to see you are trying to warn other peeps so the same does not happen to them. Even loading on to a truck, sled deck or trailor things can go wrong very quick.. Good post.

AC4life

Reaction score
thanks gusto. It is soooo true that things happen fast and that a good situation can quickly turn bad. I have been riding since i was 4-5 yrs old, so it was not an experience issue...just a lack in judgement while doing something that is very unforgiving when it comes to miss calculations.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gald to hear your ok Sean.
Sure dosent take much for bad things to happen. I never use to wear a helmet quading (for whatever reason)?? But ALWAYS made my girls. Then 1 time we were out riding and hit a bump a little fast, my daughter sitting behind me, she flew up and came down smacking her helmet into my soft melon!!! A few stars and we headed home. Glad I kept the machine under control or it could have been bad for both of us. Always wear mine now!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Whenever your guard is down thats when things happen......I always wear a skid lid

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Helmets are a must all the time. On a second note, not to be critical of your riding abilities, but whenever climbing ANY embankment wether it being large or small, make sure you have a safe OUT. One knee on the seat or even just a mental plan of escape. Think it through, wear the proper gear and ride on.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad your alright,Hopefully your post will encourage a few helmitless riders to change there way of thinking!
Thanks for posting your story!
catmando!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Glad your Ok, and can encourage peeps to wear a helmet. Hopefully you recover quick.

It takes some courage to write a post like this and speak about your mishap that there could of been minimal injuries with a helmet. And a post like this will (well I hope) make people think more, that without wearing a helmet it could happen to anyone, when you least expected.

Thanks for telling us your story

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good lesson to be taught about the helmets.
Were you in in AWD / 4X4?
Likely wouldn't have come over.

the Champ

Reaction score
Very unfortunate accident AC4Life. Very fortunate that you are doing good though, and its easy to forget that accidents like this can happen to even the most experienced of riders. Heres to a good recovery!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm sure it will give people food for thought.
Speedy recovery.

24storm

Reaction score
Good on you for stepping up and telling your story. Many people wouldn't even mention it. I hope it makes those that do not wear them take notice. Can happen to anyone.

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did the same thing but i ws fortanute enough to be able to scramble out of the way as the quad came crashing down the lease bank?hill

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea. it seems like every time u do have a helmet nothing happens and as soon as you take it off somethin happens. drivin my friends quad with a helmet nuthin happens or watever. take it off and go to talk to him for awhile then i don't put it back on flip his quad doin donuts.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to here your going to be alright I had a close call myself riding a dirt bike I am a dirt biker, quadder, sleder long story short crashed hard broke my arm and the inner foam in my helmet.Helmet was broken but not my head I had a concussion but lived to ride again.I never ride without the proper gear.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AC4Life ... although I live a tad South of you (In the US of A) & we've never met, ... Glad to hear you're OK.

Same thing happened this summer to a fellow worker & his face & eye socket will never be the same .... but he is breathing & able to ride. He even went out & bought helmet .... after he got out of the hospital.

Take Care ...

Later ...

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing that Kills me....Even after reading your story, there will still be those who will think "Yeah, but that won't happen to me"...and continue to ride lidless.

Sad....

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No kidding .... all ya have to do is watch the news & hear the stories of road bike wrecks & then see riders on the road without helmets all the time still.

Top Bottom