Cleaning radiator on the trail???

tekimsbro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean out your rads on the trail? I have seen some pics of guys flushing rads out...what works best??

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I made a sprayer with a shur flo RV pump, cranked it up a little, then added hose and an spray nossel, tied in a 12V accessory jack and it was great, here are some pics. The only changes I need to make is a longer powercord with a switch. A small box for the pump, a longer pickup with a dirt filter. This worked great at the edson rally, helped many people.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of a super soaker water gun to strap to the back. There are usually fresh water sources around and it I get it fresh, it doesn't take much to flush out enough to prevent overheating. Not as thorough as a pump, but simple enough.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can buy a 12v pump at canadian tire. we looked around and this is the one with the biggest pump capacity we could find. then we took 2 6 foot lengths of hose and attaches one to each outlet of the pump. on the spray end we put a air gun so you could reach into difficult places. on the other end we put a screen. it works awesome. great pressure.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a ready to go pump system made by Highlifter through Rapid Revolutions, or one guy I rode with bought a $10 bilge pump from Princess Auto and sized the hose accordingly to give it decent pressure. A few other guys had hand pump style water guns, just pull the handle back while in the water and push in to spray on your rad, basically the same as a supersoaker type unit.
With your Canam you should be able to make a screen to slide down in front of the rad that will block most of the mud and dirt and then pull it out and shake or rinse it off when needed. The one I saw was just made from a screen door package he bought and it slides right in front of the rad under the front cover.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a bilge pump for a boat put a 10ft hose on the sucktion 4 ft on the pressure side and squeezed the end down thing puts out

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a pice of door screen in front of the rad, keeps the dirt from getting in the fins. The mud sticks to the screen and you have to clean it alot but its better than having to take the rad to clean it.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're stuck in the bush and have no pump, stab a small hole in a water bottle, fill it from a puddle, put the lid on, point hole at rad and SQUEEZE. ain't perfect but it'll get you by. (And it's way cheap)!

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you're stuck in the bush and have no pump, stab a small hole in a water bottle, fill it from a puddle, put the lid on, point hole at rad and SQUEEZE. ain't perfect but it'll get you by. (And it's way cheap)!

Gatorade bottles with the twist style cap work perfect for this.

Top Bottom