Cleaning Klim

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some how i got grease or something on my Klim pullover, anyone have any advise on the best way to clean it?? can i use stain removers???

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be really tempted to use brake cleaner! I use it on my clothes sometimes as I tend to get grease on me at work! :mad: Test a small inconspicuous area first to make sure that the color isn't going to run though! :)

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam just worried that something that agressive will destroy the waterproof membrane.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some how i got grease or something on my Klim pullover, anyone have any advise on the best way to clean it?? can i use stain removers???

Use a citric cleaner or vinegar and water, reseal with spray on tent sealer. You may have to live with a small stain but it will still be functional. As always test somewhere safe first.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be really tempted to use brake cleaner! I use it on my clothes sometimes as I tend to get grease on me at work! :mad: Test a small inconspicuous area first to make sure that the color isn't going to run though! :)

AHHH. skinny your so cool, how many other women would know the awsome power of brake clean.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used Lestoil on my Klim pullover and it worked great. Think it's available at Home Hardware or Canadian Tire.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHHH. skinny your so cool, how many other women would know the awsome power of brake clean.

Awwww scotts! :friends: Perhaps one who has spent the last few hours cleaning parts off of her desk???? :dunno:
I think that there are a few out there!! :wtg:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'simple green' works awesome to get grease out. i can't count the number of times i've used it to get grease out of jeans...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was concerned about using solvents on the waterproof membrane, and had wondered if anyone had used them to clean goretex

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For cleaning goretex. This is what you need to know:

First, a little about what it is:
The water proof membrane is made of "Teflon" with really tiny holes in it. Teflon is one of the most "inert" substances there is. Almost nothing will react with it, chemical, heat, solvents etc. On it's own the Teflon is mechanically fragile. So it is sandwiched between two layers of standard clothing material like nylon or cotton or other blends. It is very well protected in this way and it's quite hard to hurt the membrane. Your solvent may hurt the glue holding the fabric together though, so I would watch that.

When the material becomes plugged with dirt, oil or grease, the fabric stops letting water vapor through, so it needs to be cleaned.

Clean goretex in the same way you clean normal laundry. However, it's important to remember with all goretex garments the outside surface material is also treated with a water repellent. This gets washed away in just a few washings and you need to replace it after a couple of washes or it will stop performing when it is wet.

Liquid water will never get through the Teflon membrane, however if the outer fabric does not have a water repellent treatment it may become fully saturated with water and effectively "seal" the system off from water vapor. When this happens, you can no longer cool with evaporation, and in addition your sweat will condense on the inside of the membrane and will freeze and get wet on the inside (this is from your sweat condensing, not from water getting in). So you need to re-treat the outside fabric only with a water repellent to restore this property. A lot of people don't know this. Various products can be used and there are manufacturer recommended re-treats. Don't use something like a silicone based product to treat tents and gloves and boots because this is effectively an oil and will seal the the system off from water vapor as well. Silicone oil is also extremal hard to get out and you may effectively ruin the garment if you do this. Also, WD40 contains silicone for those that do not know. Silicone based water repellents are very common, so make sure you are using something recommended for gortex and not your regular water repellent.

If you have washed your goretex a couple of times this probably needs to be done to restore it to original performance.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this on the Arcteryx website for cleaning goretex:

Stain removal
To get grease out of a Gore-Tex® you should dampen the stain and rub
in dishwashing detergent. You can then launder the jacket in warm
water with pure soap or mild powder laundry soap. If the stain
persists, sponge it with a safe cleaning fluid or mineral spirits;
both can be found at a grocery store. If cleaning fluid or mineral
spirits are used DWR will need to be reapplied.

How do I wash my Gore-Tex® jacket?
Be sure to zip all zippers before you wash your jacket. You can wash
your Gore-Tex in a regular washing machine, in warm (not hot) water,
on a gentle cycle. Please use pure soap (which is best) or a mild
powder detergent. Do not use Liquid detergents > or ones that contain
oil, or have fabric softeners in them (such as Woolite ®). Detergent
interacts with the DWR finish and will interfere with the performance
of the jacket if it is not totally rinsed out of the material. Run the
garment through at least one rinse cycle and tumble dry on medium
heat. For optimum performance you may also need to re-apply the DWR
(durable water repellant) finish on your water-repellant garment from
time to time. Do not dry clean or store when wet.

We recommend using a cleaning agent made specifically for GORE-TEX® fabrics.
Outdoor specialty retailers carry various brands. We recommend Grangers® Performance
Wash. Visit grangers.co.uk for more information. However, if you only have access
to normal laundry soaps simply rinse the garment with a second rinse cycle in order
to completely remove any residual cleaning chemicals.

==========

To remove oil or grease spots from Gore-Tex garments, Picrin, a stain
remover available through R.R. Street & Co., 625 Enterprise Dr.,
Oakbrook, Ill. 60521, 312-654-4242, is recommended.

From the Gore-tex site:
Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric.
WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT:
Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the garment's breathability.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to the Columbia clothing or Klim websites they both have cleaner and 'restoratives' for gore-tex.

Top Bottom