Chevy vs. Dodge 1/2 tons

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I believe the 6.2 L is only available in the Denali Model ,which is more money.The Vortec Max is about 367 h.p. in a half ton which only gives you a 5-8'' box in the crew cab.....Thats why i went with a 3/4 ton.6'6'' box ,crew cab and you won't be over weight with a trailer and a quad ,gas, generator etc.Let us know what you decide.But the 3/4 tons are worse on fuel because they don't have active fuel management.Catch 22 i guess.

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get the 6.2L in the vortec max. I test drove a beautiful 07 new style vortec max 6.0L loaded to the nuts with 37,200 km on it and what an awesome truck. I wish you could still get the 6.0L in the half ton but you can't.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your better off with the 3/4 ton anyway.Twice the truck of the 1/2 ton.That way you don't have to worry about being overloaded.I know so many people that bought 1/2 tons then bought trailers to pull(sled or holiday) then the next thing they have to do is buy a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull.They loose a ton of money on their original purchase because of the quick turn over.I would always recommend a 3/4 over a 1/2 ton,but I am on the other side of the fence,having more truck than I need.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think your better off with the 3/4 ton anyway.Twice the truck of the 1/2 ton.That way you don't have to worry about being overloaded.I know so many people that bought 1/2 tons then bought trailers to pull(sled or holiday) then the next thing they have to do is buy a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull.They loose a ton of money on their original purchase because of the quick turn over.I would always recommend a 3/4 over a 1/2 ton,but I am on the other side of the fence,having more truck than I need.

I agree

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thing is driving around the city and in parkades 3/4 tons are little more difficult... It's something I've been considereng, but I seriously don't think I need one as it would be overkill.
However if the price is right I may change my mind.:d

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I knew then what I know now I would not have bought my 2006 Dodge 1500.

>Have had my front struts changed 4 times since July 2006
>Have had my passenger side front axle seal changed 4 times, 4th time they changed the shaft as well.
>Blend door broke and took out my heater/ac fan
>Have had all my rotors changed once
>Balanced all 4 tires twice because GY at/s are JUNK
>Replaced my drive shaft
>Had the transfer case go, truck stuck in 2wd.
>Replaced tie rod ends.

Good thing all was covered under warranty.

Truck vibrates under load in 4wd while accelerating, known issue with Chrysler, but when on the phone with them was pretty much told to shove it. Can't sell it privately because people notice it, so I will have to trade it off and lose money.

The axle seal leak, and strut problems go from 2006-2008 Ram 1500, the first generation of the new front end,.. go figure. I will never buy a 1st gen truck again,.. and should have saved up a couple more months and paid the extra for the diesel that I require now.

If you all are wondering,.. this truck has 35,000km,.. and no that isn't a typo. So I suggest not buying a used 2006-2008 ram 1500 if you need a used truck.

When this is paid off in Aug, it will be a 3/4 Cummins diesel, or Duramax.

Last edited:

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a normal Dodge 1500 list....I know it's all warranty but still a hassle.A person purchases a new vehicle for reliability and to stay away from service departments.Like I said in my first post,I work at a Dodge dealer because there will always be work at a Dodge dealer.Sorry,the Cummins is only a little bit better,but not much.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a normal Dodge 1500 list....I know it's all warranty but still a hassle.A person purchases a new vehicle for reliability and to stay away from service departments.Like I said in my first post,I work at a Dodge dealer because there will always be work at a Dodge dealer.Sorry,the Cummins is only a little bit better,but not much.

The 06's were the worst, based on my experience with a fleet of 04's to 08's. My dads's cummins 3/4 is much better! He's got 150,000 km on his 07 and only had to replace a front ball joint. He does drive it like an old man thought... :cool:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 and 3500 truck of the year.

lots of room. unbelivable ride, no complaint of the fuel milage in town or highway. just keep your foot out of it. and well i dono. danm nice!! drove one from calgary to slave lake. 560km mostly hightway driveing. filled up in calgary, left to slave lake. never had to fill up. when i drove it off the lot had under 1km on it.

this was a loaded 1500 sport. nav reverse camera ect. i dono chev are nice but i think
dodge has the market now with the motor ect.

i have a 2005 hemi wiht 200,000km on it, and knock on wood. the thing doesnt get babyed my anymeans.. all i have had to do. was a tune up, new exhaust and well thats it really.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update, my truck only has 35,000km, made a mistake. Also had a look underneath to check out the pass. side seal,.. leaking again so back to the dealership it goes.

Bad thing is seal is only covered under basic, good thing is I had 1yr parts and labour warranty on last repair of the same part,.. UGH Stay away from '06-'08 dodge ram 1500's.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing you have to watch for with domestic trucks when test driving them is that they don't stay like that for long from my experience..

Every domestic truck I've drove or owned while new was good, give it 50,000 km's and it's no longer the same truck. Suspension wobbles and bobs, doors close poorly, and engine sounds like ass.

That being said my new company truck is a Tacoma, and although they aren't like the old Taco's, I am thoroughly impressed with how well it' being holding together. That being said, I paid as much or more then you guys did for near fully loaded full sized, I get probably the same or worse gas milleage, and have less creature comforts, but IMO, it's still a great truck.

I've drove a Tundra a few thousand K and was thoroughly impressed with it as well (5.7l). Plenty of power, lots of room in the limited crew cab, and very comfy.

I've drove some newer Chev Deisels and think they are 'OK' trucks, but if I were considering gas I know I'd consider the Tundra as well.

No truck is perfect. IMO, all manufactures are to blame for screwing around and not coming out with a truck that just works. Making massive changes, etc every couple years will only net you endless problems. Give me something simple that works. That's all I need. Then again, if they did this people wouldn't buy new trucks every two years.

Maybe Hyundai needs to step up to plate and make a truck like that. Decent power, good looks, simple, and reliable. Seems to be one of the few manufactures actually thinking these days.

Also, down with Chev and Dodge. They've screwed the pooch too many years for me to care what happens to them, their dealers, and their factories. I'm glad the japanese and east asia companies are in N.A and taking over.

/rant.

lol.

Apextenn

Reaction score
I also have been looking into new vehicles as the 06 duramax is getting around the 200k mark and although it hasnt had a single problem other then thoes stupid tranny cooler hoses which tend to work for a year then leak it has been a awesome truck. But looking at the 2010 trucks i am not sure what to think between the new chevys and new dodges i think the 3/4 dodges are not that great looking but i like the interiors and seeing this is the third year of the 6.7 cummins and trannsmision i imagine it is fairly reliable. The main reason why i still will probably though go with a new chevy is the duramax is a proven powerhouse great realibility miledge not so great but overall a great truck. I am sure the new dodge is as well but things to consider is how long can dodge stay alive when they have continued months of negative sales and i am sorry to say although i am sure the truck division will be sold to another manufature as it is profitable for them it will just be like having a pontiac the thing will be worth not much. I realize that gm is in the same boat but they sell more half ton trucks then any other manufature and overall have allot more products then dodge just IMO i would be surprised if their is a dodge or chrysler in 5 years. So considering that i would most likely buy a gm product as the resale will be allot better as well as dealer support.

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
I think the under floor storage in the back of the09/10 dodge 1500 is cool. Each side holds at least a dozen cans and ice, plus i have seen a few with the ram box storage on the side of the box, looks good and holds all the ch!t that would otherwise be floating around the cab. plus the adjustale cargo bar on the ram box models will divide the bed up to any size and double as a tailgate extender. Just make sure to geta crew cab and not a quad cab.

ajay

Reaction score
If you are not needing the power and fuel mileage is a main concern I would sudgest the GM with a 4.8LV8, I haven't ran a gas truck for 9 years but picked up an 03 SWB chevy 2wd for my daughter, it can do 800K on a full tank and it has over 200K on it and everything still works like new. Was very impressed. Do however like the looks of the new dodge but would never own one and keeping my 06 duramax cause don't like the looks and cheap interiors of the new GMs. Price wise its hard to beat the new Ford 1/2 tons with the deals that are out there.
Ajay

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTT...how's everyone's opinions of the trucks now? Going to trade off my 06 Sierra crew cab 1500 4x4 and looking at the GM's and the Dodges.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTT...how's everyone's opinions of the trucks now? Going to trade off my 06 Sierra crew cab 1500 4x4 and looking at the GM's and the Dodges.

Love my new Ram 1500. My dad loved it so much he bought the same truck in a different colour.

The new 5 link is a great ride, only thing I'm a little dissappointed in is the lower ride hieght on the front end, they dropped it about 2" lower than previous models. I plan on getting a levelling kit to bump it back up, not a big deal but that's about the only thing that suffered IMO.

I wouldn't get a console model either (MO), I still love the bench front and it has way more room than the console models (have 2 buddies with the same truck in the console version). We have way more storage in the bench. Cab size will be up to you, we have the quadcab, the crew is bigger obviously but I very rarely have anyone in the back, I opted for the longer box and less cab space. It's not bad IMO for space. Dodge has some really nice features like the in-dash 120 V outlet, double factory trailer light plug-ins (fully moulded/integrated 4 pin and 7 pin outlets) etc that really sets things apart. That's what I noticed was the biggest things that set them apart from the others IMO.

I'm getting about 16 mpg in the city right now, I get about 19-20 on the highway, and about 12-14 towing 3 sleds. Some douche in a little suped up rice rocket was pissing me off the other day so I finally had enough and smoked his ass at the next light, he was trying really hard to impress his buddy in the passenger seat and got his ass waxed. Hemi power is really nice for that kind of stuff just make sure you get a decent rear end ratio.

Those are my thoughts.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really like my 09 ford 150 everything power, hauling ride etc is great. but the fuggin wiring is chit. 80 k on it now and i have had to repair wiring to pass. power seat. lookedlike someone had probed the wire. wtf i bought it new never been opened. and the window on pass side was intermittent the other day. but other wise love it.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really like my 09 ford 150 everything power, hauling ride etc is great. but the fuggin wiring is chit. 80 k on it now and i have had to repair wiring to pass. power seat. lookedlike someone had probed the wire. wtf i bought it new never been opened. and the window on pass side was intermittent the other day. but other wise love it.

Wasn't that truck the owners demo?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya like 6 k on it when i bought it. i figure it was probably the guys that installed the starter.

Top Bottom