Chevy vs. Dodge 1/2 tons

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So guys in a few months I'll be picking up a new half ton truck. Right now its between the Dodge and Chevy/GMC. I don't really want to look at the Ford, unless there are really good deals for them in March. I just don't like the look of Ford.
I don't use the truck for heavy hauling or anything, just for quads/sleds and pulling a two place occasionally.

Dodge pros:
Hemi power
cheaper? not sure on this thought, they were more expensive when my bro bought his

Negatives:
Hemi mileage
Don't last as long? Seem like all the oilfield Dodges I've drove were completely shot at 100,000km and were always in the shop

Chevy pros:
Fuel mileage
Ride

Negatives:
little low on power

People who've got experience with the two please chime in.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilema. I eventually went with the GMC/Chev. Here is why:
1. Ride
2. style
3. resale value
4. gm rebate of 9000 (at the time)
5. dodge would not budge on their price at all.
6. consumer report stats lean towards the chev.
7. mileage
8. I love the auto lock 4X4. (didn't know if dodge had this, I had it in my old chev).
9. towing package available with the 1/2 ton models (trailer brake controller built in).

I eventually went with the 2009 GMC 5.3 ltr Crew Cab SLT. I love it! They make chips for them and with an exhaust you can gain up to 25 hp without effecting mileage. The only downfall is the size of the box. I can fit a sled and quad in but cannot haul my camper any more. Gonna have to pick up a trailer.

Hope this helped.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you asked me 2 yrs ago....Chevy all the way hands down
That being said I just bought the new Dodge 1500 for the wife...drives like a cadillac...400hp and it has the best fuel economy in it class (Chevy is better if you are comparing the base model engine but the Hemi is now better then the 5.3) nice interior and very little road noise. Lots of dealer incentives right now and also motor trend's truck of the year...just my opinion but take one for a teat ride and you won't be disappointed.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shop around if looking @ the Dodge...One dealer in Edmonton wouldn't move on price @ all...went to Leduc and got $13000 off sticker price (9500 was factory discount) so there are some huge differences out there dealer to dealer.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the wife a dodge 1/2 and really like it lots of power good mileage on the highway sucks in town and tows like a dream went through the mnt's last summer with the 29" travel trailer and had no problems and other than the raven commiting suicide on the front grill on the highway have had no issues with it.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive an 07 chevy 1/2 ton classic body and love it. I've got 165k and have'nt had a serious problem with it, minor wear and tear that was mostly covered under the 160k fatory powertrain warrenty. I am also looking to upgrade so more info on the dodge please. Mileage is something that i am interested in. I get 16-18 working and 19-20 unloaded hwy driving.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chevy to dodge i would have probably went with the dodge. chevy to small in the back seat for coming of teenage kids. went with the f word. by no means a f word man but i have put 40k on my 09 and love it. excellant ride, tow package controller wired in from fact, more power than the chev, exc milage was getting 10lp100k on a trip to prince george this summer, highest hauling and towing compacity of all half tons, rivals most guys 3/4 tons, and got a smokin price through dealer in spruce grove. 38k out the door for 09 lariet loaded to the top except dvd and sunroof. factory install gps, starter, etc. was a chevy man till this truck and would buy another no ? asked.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 Dodge crew cab and an 09 Chev X-tenda cab 1/2 tons for work. I ordered the Chev because with all my Dodges before I had nothing but troubles, two different trucks in the shop once a week religiously. One of the guys I work with ordered the Dodge just to see the new body style and are we ever glad he did...There are four of us that share these trucks and we all love the Dodge and hate the Chev. Better ride, creature comforts, mileage everything between the two trucks we have seems better on the Dodge. The only thing I really hate on both trucks is the Traction control...I hate it.
Good Luck let us know what you buy and throw a pic up.:beer::beer:

loffelbein88

Reaction score
GMC all the way.and id say power is comparable.that hemi aint no jem.The new 2010 GMC 5.3 is killer.and if your not real concerned bout fuel milage then get the vortec max 6.0L.decent milage but not a good as 5.3

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same dilema. I eventually went with the GMC/Chev. Here is why:
1. Ride
2. style
3. resale value
4. gm rebate of 9000 (at the time)
5. dodge would not budge on their price at all.
6. consumer report stats lean towards the chev.
7. mileage
8. I love the auto lock 4X4. (didn't know if dodge had this, I had it in my old chev).
9. towing package available with the 1/2 ton models (trailer brake controller built in).

I eventually went with the 2009 GMC 5.3 ltr Crew Cab SLT. I love it! They make chips for them and with an exhaust you can gain up to 25 hp without effecting mileage. The only downfall is the size of the box. I can fit a sled and quad in but cannot haul my camper any more. Gonna have to pick up a trailer.

Hope this helped.

I have an 09 Dodge crew cab and an 09 Chev X-tenda cab 1/2 tons for work. I ordered the Chev because with all my Dodges before I had nothing but troubles, two different trucks in the shop once a week religiously. One of the guys I work with ordered the Dodge just to see the new body style and are we ever glad he did...There are four of us that share these trucks and we all love the Dodge and hate the Chev. Better ride, creature comforts, mileage everything between the two trucks we have seems better on the Dodge. The only thing I really hate on both trucks is the Traction control...I hate it.
Good Luck let us know what you buy and throw a pic up.:beer::beer:

Thanks for the comments guys. That's interesting that the Hemi has better mileage as my 08 is not real good with the fuel. How are these Dodge's holding up over the years? I found that the Dodge's at work rattled themselves apart, and I haven't been real impressed with mine.
I guess it might come down to the price between the two then.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GMC all the way.and id say power is comparable.that hemi aint no jem.The new 2010 GMC 5.3 is killer.and if your not real concerned bout fuel milage then get the vortec max 6.0L.decent milage but not a good as 5.3

Maybe my #'s are wrong but I think the dodge 1/2 ton hemi has 390hp with 407 ft/lbs of torque...the Chevy 5.3 has 315hp with 335 ft/lbs of torque....thats not that killer to me...just sayin.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at picking up a half ton in fall of 09 (i bought a 5.9 diesel so i couldnt justify 3 trucks lol) but i am suprised to hear you say dodge won't budge on the price cause 2 different dealers offered me a loaded 1/2 ton for 30 grand, i believe the sticker price was 54. I wasn't even trying to deal on them either, just kinda tire kicking.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe my #'s are wrong but i think the dodge 1/2 ton hemi has 390hp with 407 ft/lbs of torque...the chevy 5.3 has 315hp with 335 ft/lbs of torque....thats not that killer to me...just sayin.

ya but so many manufactures over and under rate the horsepower on these trucks prime example is my 2009 titan pro-4x is rated at 317 hp and the new tundra at 381 and no word of a lie stock to stock the titan takes the tundra so hp numbers these days are quite off everyone is claiming these big hp numbers to get people to buy cause het bigger is better ya rite. Both the new dodge halftons and the chev ones are good trucks i should have a biased opinion being the owner of a chevy and nissan dealer as far as i'm concerned every manufacture has there problems and issues must say i like the look of the rams better than the chevs but love the ride and comfort levels of a chev way more

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've owned both as well, 04 dodge hemi, now have 07 gmc 5.3 l new body style.

i know not comparing apples to apples (technology wise)but my old hemi just wouldn't handle the construction world! Tow a work trailer everyday for my company and the dodge after 2 years, brakes 5 times and while brother in law fixed brakes noticed 2 leafsprings were MISSING! The gm had 2 years now brakes once and that's it.The new one are like my gm on highway 4 cylinders kick out for gas mileage my old hemi didnt killed me on fuel!

way happier with gm

Hitchguy

Reaction score
just buy the chev:d:d:d Crow you need to take your foot off the brakes thats why they are wearing out LOL

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but so many manufactures over and under rate the horsepower on these trucks prime example is my 2009 titan pro-4x is rated at 317 hp and the new tundra at 381 and no word of a lie stock to stock the titan takes the tundra so hp numbers these days are quite off everyone is claiming these big hp numbers to get people to buy cause het bigger is better ya rite. Both the new dodge halftons and the chev ones are good trucks i should have a biased opinion being the owner of a chevy and nissan dealer as far as i'm concerned every manufacture has there problems and issues must say i like the look of the rams better than the chevs but love the ride and comfort levels of a chev way more

X2...I would drive each one and see what you like, then decide. The ratings these trucks have are peak dyno numbers for the marketing game. People buy horsepower and drive torque, thats why diesels are so popular. But for any trucks I don't imagine guys are going WOT very much, I certainly don't see it much.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your planning on keeping your truck for longer than the 3yr factory warranty then I would go for the Chev/GMC hands down.Dodge allways has and allway will have way too many reliability issues for me.Dodge spends their R@D money on looks over reliability.The last dodge I owned was a 93 and that thing was allways in the shop .Since the days of the cheap leases are over I purchased an 08 Silverado with 5.3 AFM extcab 4x4.The Chev has 17000K on it now and 0 issues and I do love the autotrack 4x4 as its allways ice then bare roads lately and I just leave it in auto.Gas mileage has been very good as well usually 16mpg around town pulling a work trailer and 20mpg on the highway with a loaded box and thats with the 4:10 rear end.Dodge would have to offer a 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty to ever get me back in one.BTW the 2010 dodge is the big diesel that one truck of the year not the half ton

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not bias to any brand...I stated I would test drive both and make your decision from there. Alot has changed since you drove your 93 Dodge...That is after all 17 yrs ago...I was driving a ski-doo elan back then and if I was using that for my comparision I would have to say ski-doo doesn't have much of a mountian machine...lol. Everyone has there opinion but if you want to compare test drive them all and compare apples to apples...with todays technology changing so fast even 1 yr is a big difference in ride and reliability of all vehicles.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your planning on keeping your truck for longer than the 3yr factory warranty then I would go for the Chev/GMC hands down.Dodge allways has and allway will have way too many reliability issues for me.Dodge spends their R@D money on looks over reliability.The last dodge I owned was a 93 and that thing was allways in the shop .Since the days of the cheap leases are over I purchased an 08 Silverado with 5.3 AFM extcab 4x4.The Chev has 17000K on it now and 0 issues and I do love the autotrack 4x4 as its allways ice then bare roads lately and I just leave it in auto.Gas mileage has been very good as well usually 16mpg around town pulling a work trailer and 20mpg on the highway with a loaded box and thats with the 4:10 rear end.Dodge would have to offer a 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty to ever get me back in one.BTW the 2010 dodge is the big diesel that one truck of the year not the half ton

Reliability is exactly the thing keeping me away from Dodge, as I still don't trust them as much as the Chevy's.
On paper I'd choose the Dodge hands down, but since I'll probably keep this truck for the long haul Chevy might be the way to go... I know if I test drive thought I'd pick the Dodge for sure.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a Ford guy that works for a Dodge dealer as a tech.In my opinion I would drive all of them first and then decide.The new Dodge body style(09-10) is a nice ride,looks better,nice options avail and the Hemi does have decent power.There is a reason GM is in trouble,they have fallen behind in keeping up with the others.The Dodge will kill you is maintenance(diff fluids every 24,000km,spark plug replacement 45,000km etc),and Dodge is really getting strict on maintenance being completed for warranty purposes.The Hemi is hard on fuel...soo many people complain about this,but the engine reliability has been very good,one of the best out there.GM is having engine problems right now(piston slap,bottom ends) as my buddy who is a tech at a GM dealer will attest to.If you get A GM product,get the 6.2L even though you don't pull big loads.I Just work on a used 5.3L and could not get over the lack of power compared to the Hemi or Ford 5.4L.Remember,if you want power,you have to pay for it.Why not look at a Toyota Tundra or just get past the Ford F150 look and test drive one,you might just be surprised at how nice they are inside and to drive.I work at a Dodge dealer because there will always be work at a Dodge dealer...just the way they are designed and built.100,000km is the magic number then look out,open up your wallet or get the most extensive warranty you can get if you plan on keeping it much past that.

Top Bottom