Checking for spark

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was out riding with a buddy last week. We were out riding for about 2 hours when we decided to stop for a pop. After taking our break I went to fire up my machine and I got nothing. Everything seemed to be working fine and my machine was running great before we stopped. I pulled my plugs to check for spark and got no results...so before I tear out my stator and magneto I thought I would make sure that I'm doing this right. You should be able to see a spark while your plugs are out and the threads are grounded right? Is there another way to do this?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct,..

Just throwing this out there, but what is the status of your teather control, kill button or ignition switch if equiped.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I checked for continuity of my kill switch on my bars and it sorta checked out. By sorta I mean it checked out backwards from what my shop manual said. I'm wondering if it's a mis print in the manual or if my entire throttle assembly is toast. I was having issues with my thumb warmer over heating.. Do you know of any way to by pass the throttle kill switch?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unplug it if its supposed to be normally closed, tie the wires together if its supposed to be open. try both ways and see if you get spark.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya what he said, haha

Then check the teather, if all checks out could be a back cdi or coil

Last edited:

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I unplugged the switch harness and still no spark. The manual says "up = continuity and down = nothing". That makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense that there would be continuity in the down/off position unless the switch is designed to short to kill the circuit. I don't know...electrical is not my forte.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I unplugged the switch harness and still no spark. The manual says "up = continuity and down = nothing". That makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense that there would be continuity in the down/off position unless the switch is designed to short to kill the circuit. I don't know...electrical is not my forte.

Up continuity because it could be controlling voltage to cdi/coil, instead of up NON-continuity to ground to kill spark like on older machines.

Can you see if you have 12v going to the coil

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I checked for continuity of my kill switch on my bars and it sorta checked out. By sorta I mean it checked out backwards from what my shop manual said. I'm wondering if it's a mis print in the manual or if my entire throttle assembly is toast. I was having issues with my thumb warmer over heating.. Do you know of any way to by pass the throttle kill switch?

It seems all the yamaha mm in that era all had very hot thumb warmers , My wifes is like that and so are the three that the the guy down the road owns .

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your throttle override circuit too. Common problem on Yammis. Just unplug the wires at the carbs and plug the two coming from the bars into each other and see if you have spark.

Top Bottom