Check Chain Case Tension!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850 has a little more power for sure but the chain is obviously an issue lots of guys turbo the t3 and gone 3000 plus with no issues its not the small amount of extra power that is causing the issue ��

i can show you a blown T3 turbo chaincase at substantially less than 3000km lol.

proper tension on the chain is crucial and should be monitored frequently. obviously its going to vary based on riding style how your chain stretches. i have seen chains fail on stock XM machines aswell. its very very rare but it does happen. typically its the guys that take some hard hits. i always have a spare chain in the trailer to get home.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
i can show you a blown T3 turbo chaincase at substantially less than 3000km lol.

proper tension on the chain is crucial and should be monitored frequently. obviously its going to vary based on riding style how your chain stretches. i have seen chains fail on stock XM machines aswell. its very very rare but it does happen. typically its the guys that take some hard hits. i always have a spare chain in the trailer to get home.

Sean, how often to you check yours....knowing your an aggressive ride plus how many KM's do you put on each year (approx).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!
I had 3300km on my XM and did zero clutch adjustments, zero chain adjustments.......zero anything.
Changed one belt and put gas and oil in it.

The 850 needs more TLC than a mod......yikes!!!!
Have not ridden mine yet........maybe dealer will take it back.

Gotta agree, no matter how you look at it the G4 is having some issues... just wish some people would admit it and stop beating around the bush. It's the most substantial change doo has done since the 08 XP, there will be problems with a first year model!

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/wD9Nmx0L_FI[/url]

Dave, it says in the owner’s Manual not to remove the Hair Cotter Pin. I have adjusted mine a few times leaving the cotter pin in. It allows the tensioner to “click”

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Dave, it says in the owner’s Manual not to remove the Hair Cotter Pin. I have adjusted mine a few times leaving the cotter pin in. It allows the tensioner to “click”

You do not need to however easier to feel with it out...my vids go to lowest common denominator, you can also tell by moving secondary but for new guys that might be hard for them to feel. So easy to pull pin adjust and put back or do with it in...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe Doo didn't drill out the tensioner bolt to allow the keeper pin to go through it?? A person doesn't even need to pull the pin to tighten the bolt. It will rotate with the pin in place.... Honestly the more I do on this sled the less impressed I am!!

noob

Reaction score
I've been on polaris and Yamaha for 16 years. this is first year for a doo and I couldn't be happier. Gotta do a little maintenance and check on a couple things, not a big deal. This sled is amazing!!

Kruchy

Reaction score
My pin isn't there so I checked tension and tightened. After initial break in it has stayed snug. Not sure if the pin does $#€&$$

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bolt is not rounded (multiple flat faces at pin location)and as you rotate the bolt you can see the pin open and close.
The bolt likely has flat faces if the pin is opening and closing.
Now with the size of the pin i doubt it can stop a bolt from backing out but if you watch the pin you can clearly see it move as the bolt rotates. If some one really wants to know ask the partsman to show you the bolt when you are picking up your next belt....lol!
I tightened my chain after first ride and only about 1.5 turns needed. Will have dealer check again during bulkhead rebuild.

Last edited:

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a bulk head repair yesterday on a machine with 200 kms on it. The chain case bolt turned about 2.5 times.

Top Bottom