Check Chain Case Tension!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Have not done the video yet but had a buddies let go today, so a reminder to check your tension, it is easy to do so and tighten, and like the t3 it stretches quick. I did mine at 300km and it definately needed tightening...that power goes somewhere to check it....

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not done the video yet but had a buddies let go today, so a reminder to check your tension, it is easy to do so and tighten, and like the t3 it stretches quick. I did mine at 300km and it definately needed tightening...that power goes somewhere to check it....

Here you go Dave. Not as good as you would do but he does a good job

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Don't wait until 300 Kms. Good rule of thumb is check it after the first tank of fuel and adjust accordingly. Just rock secondary clutch back and forth and tighten until there is some a small amount of play. Do it after the second and third tank. Then about every 10 days of riding.
Doo made it so easy to adjust chain on the G4s. Do not over tighten the chain! Links will break.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Don't wait until 300 Kms. Good rule of thumb is check it after the first tank of fuel and adjust accordingly. Just rock secondary clutch back and forth and tighten until there is some a small amount of play. Do it after the second and third tank. Then about every 10 days of riding.
Doo made it so easy to adjust chain on the G4s. Do not over tighten the chain! Links will break.

Well said! Thanks and yeah many people don't know this and also with guys saying they never do the oil, it means some new guys wont know to check, cheers dave

• Recommends
Reactions: NM

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a procedure for adjusting tension without pulling the chaincase cover off?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Is there a procedure for adjusting tension without pulling the chaincase cover off?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yes you can do the chain tension without taking the cover off, just remember hand tight and you can also drain the oil when you want with a bolt underneath, so it is quick and easy but for video sake it is nice to see what is going on...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!
I had 3300km on my XM and did zero clutch adjustments, zero chain adjustments.......zero anything.
Changed one belt and put gas and oil in it.

The 850 needs more TLC than a mod......yikes!!!!
Have not ridden mine yet........maybe dealer will take it back.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!
I had 3300km on my XM and did zero clutch adjustments, zero chain adjustments.......zero anything.

Sounds like when you sell it you can put " well maintained" in the ad, lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah some people are funny. We were out a few years ago with a guy on an 08 XP. His chaincase absolutely grenades going down the trail. The oil literally looked like tar. We asked him when the last time he had checked his chain or changed his oil. He looked at us kind of puzzled and said never. Sled had like 5000km on it.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does nobody do the 10 hour check anymore? You don't need to take it to the dealer, easy enough to do yourself. For the little time it takes it better than having a break down way out back!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Does nobody do the 10 hour check anymore? You don't need to take it to the dealer, easy enough to do yourself. For the little time it takes it better than having a break down way out back!

ya' I always have had mine done by the dealer. Just good re-assurance for me to have someone familiar with any arising problems they see from other sleds they are looking at all day long. I continually check things on a new machine and listen for strange noises, tighten nuts/bolts if the need requires, and of course just keep an eye on things.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Wow!

Guaranteed your chain case we very loose. The G4 is not worse than the T3 it might happen faster due to the power but you should be checking it and it is way easier to check and adjust now, for sure!

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850 has a little more power for sure but the chain is obviously an issue lots of guys turbo the t3 and gone 3000 plus with no issues its not the small amount of extra power that is causing the issue ��

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little bit of maintenance goes a long way..... all steel chains stretch that's no secret or anything new

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
The 850 has a little more power for sure but the chain is obviously an issue lots of guys turbo the t3 and gone 3000 plus with no issues its not the small amount of extra power that is causing the issue ��

Yes cause they tighten the chain! it seems a lot of guys are riding but not servicing....

Kruchy

Reaction score
There is no issue just do a little maintenance. Every make every model with a chain has a maintenance schedule to check and adjust. A person is borderline dumb if you do not maintain your equipment

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no issue just do a little maintenance. Every make every model with a chain has a maintenance schedule to check and adjust. A person is borderline dumb if you do not maintain your equipment

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Yep no fun riding with guys who don't do any maintenance. Usually end up towing them out at some point.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed your chain case we very loose. The G4 is not worse than the T3 it might happen faster due to the power but you should be checking it and it is way easier to check and adjust now, for sure!

I check my sled over after each trip.
Grease every zerk and oil every ball joint.
It just never had any secondary rotation play after the 10 hour service which was closer to 30 so I never adjusted.
Unless it was adjusted when the airbox and new lights were going in after the tree thingy.
Changed one belt and cleaned clutches a few times.
My XM was that good - unless I broke something.

Don't worry Ric the sled is as good as I said.

Top Bottom