char broiled wreck cataract creek

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can bet the park wardens already got the VIN and that it's being ran in order to find the registered owner? Those guys are all over the trails now and are checking registrations and policing the park trails heavily on each weekend now that there's a lot of activity in the area.

Hope the owner gets it out before he gets the fine cause it's a heavy one if he hasn't already communicated extraction plans with the parks department.

As for the suggestion on carrying an extinguisher, no thanks. For one I don't have the room, and secondly, if my sleds catches fire the insurance company will be buying me a new one. :)

Yea really...............why would the pyromaniac:d with the name of gascan ;);)carry a fire extingusher......I couldnt resist:d:d

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK parks guys checking For plates and insurance great plan. Are they also grooming the trails or is all the registration $$$ they are checking for grooming those fancy crosscountry ski trails in K-Country?? What about trail Passes to help with trail maintance? Is it CSC responsibility to groom trails or contact SRD to groom? Who pays for the groomer?

Just a few questions.:confused:

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
OK parks guys checking For plates and insurance great plan. Are they also grooming the trails or is all the registration $$$ they are checking for grooming those fancy crosscountry ski trails in K-Country?? What about trail Passes to help with trail maintance? Is it CSC responsibility to groom trails or contact SRD to groom? Who pays for the groomer?

Just a few questions.:confused:

The Cataract Trail System is provided by the Parks Department and is also maintained by the Parks Department. Yes they do groom the trails but not frequently, and the government funds it exclusively as far as I know. The CSC helps to maintain the trail system by organizing work bees to clear dead fall and again, this is managed by Parks where they dictate who from the club is allowed in on quads to maintain the trails and when.

CSC has a lot of involvement with the Parks Department to keep the Cataract trails open to sleds and it's everyones part to ensure they don't screw that up. There are also updates posted each Thursday stating trail conditions and dates last groomed as well as snow reports. Pretty decent deal all things considered. Trail Passes are not mandatory in the park but Registration and Insurance are required in Alberta. The fines for not having said requirements are close to 600.00 for anyone tagged as such.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the sled and the guy who owns it or owned it. It was electrical........not a good thing.:cigar:

Sucks to be him, I feel bad and its very unfortunate. but.........Can you tell your buddy to go clean up his sled please? We don't need any publicity.

Thanks very much.

Gromit

Reaction score
Sled was removed and area was cleaned up including all the ashes last Sunday.

Owner was lucky not to have been badly hurt, but the focus of this thread seems to be far from that.:(

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled was removed and area was cleaned up including all the ashes last Sunday.

Owner was lucky not to have been badly hurt, but the focus of this thread seems to be far from that.:(

I guess when no one knows the story then the concern is that someone left it behind and was not coming back to clean it up. Glad no one was hurt and also glad to hear it's been cleaned up.

Sled Cougar

Reaction score
I saw it yup! I got a couple pics here:

for all those concerned the sled was cleaned up on sunday , all the remains were hauled out and disposed of properly. there is no hazard left as even the ashes got shoveled up. Doing my part to ensure all of us get to continue using this area is my priority responsability and respect.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the clean up took my first ride at kat creek in 1980 on a 76 elan would hate to see the area closed my dads ashes were scattered to the wind somewhere out there and i like to return for a ride and a visit every now and again:)

as for char broiled sleds i watched a great big King Kitty kitty burn to nothing at corbin in or about 1991 or 92 we have always had a tobogan on the trailer for S@#T happens sled recovery

again thanks for the clean up

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

c'mon bud, that's a rough statement :confused:.... no one gave us any information on the wreck or what happened. Safe to say that I'm sure we would have heard if someone died or was seriously injured. We are the last group of people that would want to see a fellow sledder injured, regardless of what happened to their sled. The focus of the thread is that we are glad rider is OK, it sucks to have your sled burn down, ensure we treat mother nature with respect or we will lose her use. In that order.

Typically within a certain distance of major cities there is a lot of theft, joy ride and burn. We have also seen a lot of "creative destruction" of toys in the Cataract area in the summer, not hard to believe that it could happen in the winter too.

All someone had to say was that they were waiting for insurance/buddies, etc to come through and then they would go pick it up. No further explanation needed, but no one said sh!t until after the fact.

I give you guys two thumbs up for the clean up - well done!! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Now that we are all friends - how about an explanation of what happened? :D

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Well said Modman and I totally agree. No disrespect was intended towards the owner and concern is always safety first and as others have stated. I'd also be curious to know what transpired if the owner cares to share that info here.

In either case, hope you're back out riding a new sled soon and kudos to you on the quick cleanup. Nice to see people looking after the area!

T

TracksCanada

for all those concerned the sled was cleaned up on sunday , all the remains were hauled out and disposed of properly. there is no hazard left as even the ashes got shoveled up. Doing my part to ensure all of us get to continue using this area is my priority responsability and respect.

Glad it was removed in timely fashion (only 2 days, some on here I suspect think it should have been out of there before it was even cold)
Hope insurance will be paid as that's quite a hit to take.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Just a word of advice to all you sled heads from the safety guy. Everyone should consider carrying a fire extinguisher with them. A small 2 lb extinguisher can be carried in your backpack or can be strapped to your sled. You have a fighting chance with one. Without one you can kiss your sled good by. No amount of snow will help put it out and the fire makes your hot dogs taste like crap.:nono:

i had a 583 burn down and when some came buy to help put it out i told them to find there own fire,this ones mine. if they catch let them go cause rebuilding fire damage is never worth it. legal fires are hard to come by.
583 1.jpg

583 2.jpg

583 3.jpg

583 4.jpg

583 5.jpg

583 6.jpg

583 7.jpg

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's too bad this happened and I hope the ins. covers it but I think the owner (or ins. company) gets some help and gets it out of there befor it causes more problems for everyone.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sometimes i wish my sled would burn like that..... any advice??:d

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dripy fuel line bad y pipe gasket and a backfire should do it nicely

good luck LOL

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have recent info on snow report at Cataract since chinook has hit?

Check here tomorrow or friday......this link

I dont think it will look very good after this snow eating chinook......

Top Bottom