changing track on xp

gdawg

Reaction score
im gettin the 2.5" challenger extreme put on my xp. gettin it done at specialty because i dont got the time before i got riding. how long do u think it takes a shop to change a track

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking they will charge you at least 2 hrs....took me just under that with 2 guys and a six pack....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
specialty has a special rate, closer to 8 hrs , i'm guessing

gdawg

Reaction score
no it fits stock. u will have to do some more work if you go with the 3 inch track.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on which one you get. They make a camoplast extreme in 2.86 pitch so it'll fit right on. But i'd recommend changing the drivers as the stock ones come rounded from the factory so if you put the likes of the avid drivers on that more of a square edge then you are able to run your track looser so it reduces rolling resistance. That in turns means more power to the ground. On my M1000 it has good extroverts on it and i can fit my size 10 shoe between the track and sliders when the sled is lifted in the air and it doesn't ratchet. I like to run my track as loose as i can without it racheting and it works awesome.

SKI-D00

Reaction score
What I want to know is, what’s the difference between the number of teeth? Would 10 be better than 8 for example and why? I’m running a stock track [2010 summit 154]
On second thought, is it even possible to switch over to a different number with the same track?

Thanks!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is, what’s the difference between the number of teeth? Would 10 be better than 8 for example and why? I’m running a stock track [2010 summit 154]
On second thought, is it even possible to switch over to a different number with the same track?

Thanks!

Are you talking drivers? Yes more teeth is better IMO since it allows the track to take less of a turn at the drivers as well as lowers the approach angle slightly. You can also gain back some gearing advantage if you are maxed out on gear size.

Lots of options for doing it, not sure if any of them are really worth the reasons for the $$$ though, since the advantages are only minor. Usually its a mod you do when swapping tracks or replacing something, most people won't just change drivers exclusively.

Yes it is possible to do with the same track, so long as the pitch of the drivers and the track are the same (meaning the distance between the driver teeth and the windows/lugs on the track is the same).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

the difference is in the diameter of the driver. the teeth on the driver must match the mating surface on the track. a 10 tooth driver maybe 10 inches in diameter, 9 tooth may be 9 inches an 8= 8 inches ( examples only). therefore you can use any driver as long as it fits with your track. a 10 tooth driver may fit with a2 inch track, but not with a 3 inch track (height). higher profile track will require less teeth on the driver unless you do a drop and roll. also a larger driver turns the track a little easier as there is less friction.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ARE YOU getting the 2.86 challenger or the 3? i would suggest the 3 and get new 7tooth avids because theres no sence in loosing half inch of track all the way around. but hey thats just me.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ARE YOU getting the 2.86 challenger or the 3? i would suggest the 3 and get new 7tooth avids because theres no sence in loosing half inch of track all the way around. but hey thats just me.

maxwell have you done this type of upgrade you are talking about, or know someone who has??

gatta ask why would u do this?? agreed loosing half inch sucks but if you going to a smaller driver, i would just upgrade to a 3" paddle at this point. track would only cost a additional $200 bucks probly.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go with the 3" 3pitch track then y not look at putting an extended chaincase in it aswell as it'd greatly improve track attack angle and give you alot better clearance around the drivers.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxwell have you done this type of upgrade you are talking about, or know someone who has??

gatta ask why would u do this?? agreed loosing half inch sucks but if you going to a smaller driver, i would just upgrade to a 3" paddle at this point. track would only cost a additional $200 bucks probly.

done a few. i find the 7 tooth drivers compenesate for gearing for the larger lug. i dont care for the 3 inch at this point from other peoples experiences on the trail and with lugs blowing off but havent tried it myself. i also have a friend with a 3 " xp that has a hard time pulling that track. why i dont know. havent looked at it. i also beleive that clearing snow from the tunnel is more advantageous. even with the 3" and 7 tooth drivers there is minimal room.

using a 7 tooth driver will not make a noticable differance in power. sure its bending the track more. but lets face it its minimal.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea i was thinking of doing the 3" paddle track, if i did do it probly port the hell out of it. lol i am a beliverer on the porting. 860 power and NOS should be able to pull that track i would think.

the extended case option would be nice, but lots of work and money, i think avid has it list a $1000 US. with that kinda upgrade cost would be in the 2500-3000 mark i would think just for product.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah the avid case is not cheap. and not exactly an easy mod. i have heard some success stories on snowest with the 3 inch track without the avid case. i would like one but i dont think my riding style allows it since im not always in deep snow. but mostly :D

Top Bottom